Sign in to follow this  
Jareth

Prelude

Here is the first posting of my round III challenge. There will be other postings as I complete them. Hail Nocturnus!

It had been an uncommonly warm clear spring day in the town of scarbourough, the type of day that promises storms soon and as day faded into night even the crickets seemed too slothfull to chirp. The farmers and drilling mercenaries came in from the fields and the night time businesses opened. In the old quarter most noise seemed to be coming from an inn known to the locals as "the Refuge" or "The Refuse" depending on the age of the local. But most locals were staying clear of that tavern tonight due to the Troop of Jaegermonsters celebrating. Only the reluctant barmaid, tavern owner and a few locals who had agreed to meet before finding the jaegermonsters were there.

jaegermonsters.jpg

A few new faces could be seen however. People who didn't know or didn't care about the jaeger's reputation. First was a surly elf, who didn't seem to know where else to go. Then others filtered in. In strode a man of indeterminate age. His clothing and staff were strewn with debris, but the pointed hat declared his profession so that even those who didn't know the Tacomancer knew he was a wizard, and despite his foolish grin, no one trifled with him. Some doubted is magic, but he had done good deeds for most of the townsfolk, so like helpful child, he was protected. Next came Belladonna the troll druid. She rarelly came into town, and was usually in a fowl mood when she did. Then Mr. Tarnish stomped in. His clan, the rustnoses, was not well liked around town, but no tavern owner kicked a rustnose out. Finally a troll in neat, almost embroidered leather armor entered. Unlike the others he was not know around town. Not even by Belladonna. Also unlike the others, he didn't draw attention to themselves. Tarnish stomped, Belladonna Loomed, the tacomancer arrived with a smile on his face, a joke in his eyes and a rattle of spell components in his suit. The newcomer was so "ordinary" that all eyes met the door as he entered. It seems that if you are a troll, you will draw attention as either a Thug or as a Curiosity.

the.party.jpg

The four gradually drew together at a table. After a few awkward, tense moments Tarnish cleared his throat. "All right then. Lord Ssilrrshli....Shylyrth...Ssilyrrlith want every city, town and port to do their part to find this fire thingie, and The rustnoses sent me to help. I assume you all are here to do the same."

"Yes I am." Said the Leather clad troll "Allow me to introduce myself. I am quiver, most recently a spear caddy with a Master Crossbowman, but now I am off to make my own name." He hesitated. "Does this place look a like a bar in Mpya Stedor? I seem to be having the strangest feeling of Deja Vu."

"Well Met Quiver, I am Belladonna. I give guidance to the trolls around here. Do you Plan on joining our clan?"

"I haven't decided yet madam, But I assure you that if I do, you will be the first to know."

"Hmph," Grunted the Druid, "Knowing is why I am here. In order to fully repair my triskadekalith, I need that stone."

The three turned to the mage, who seemed distracted by his drink. Eventually their questioning glances got his attention.

"Oh, excuse me. I am the Tacomancer high mugwump of the mystic arts blah, blah, blah. It's great to meet you all, and now that we've met in a bar, I'm sure we can all trust each other with our lives."

Quiver was the first to reply. "Um...excuse me?"

"Oh, this is great tradition and all. We've got a fighter, a cleric a thief and a mage. Of course we're going on a quest. It's part of the idiom."

"Idiom?" Replied Tarnish.

"Yeah, like the way we're going to work like a well oiled Barrel golem even though we've just met."

"I am....glad you forsee good tidings for us..." responded Belladonna "I hope..."

"Sorry, " Interrupted the Tacomancer again, "Your hope for getting out of here without a fight is misplaced. See meeting in a bar is traditional for a reason. It makes it seem like we have something in common, perhaps even a backstory, thus unifying the party."

"Why does that mean we have to fight?" asked a bewildered Quiver.

"Oh, that doesn't Doesn't mean we have to fight. But it's also traditional to have a bar fight to make sure we all know the combat system."

After another long pause, there was the creak of leather gauntlets. Tarnish asked "You think I don't know how to fight?"

"Not me, the GM thinks so."

"Who's the GM! I'll show him I know how to fight!" Tarnish punctuated his challenge by throwing his mug at the Jaegers. Silence broke over the bar. One by one the Jaegers underneath the elk trophy grinned tusk filled smiles."

trophy.jpg

(Fill in the bar fight scene as you like, Hopefully part 2 will be up next week.)

Here are the links to future chapters

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68632

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68208

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=69509

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=69512

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=69518

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=69550

Edited by Jareth

haha, great stuff! I'm intrigued and looking forward to the rest of the story. That fights you're referring to, is that the fight you've posted in the archery tournament? Perhaps, you could post a link to it in this thread to match them together.

Beautiful chair-design by the way.

haha, great stuff! I'm intrigued and looking forward to the rest of the story. That fights you're referring to, is that the fight you've posted in the archery tournament? Perhaps, you could post a link to it in this thread to match them together.

Beautiful chair-design by the way.

Thank you!

Yeah, I guess I could link the two stories together. and you can tell I used the same MOC, but the people are different and I made modifications to the Tavern as well. I think they would clash next to each other and just rely on people's imagination to fill in the bar fight.

It is a nice chair, but I got the design from brickshelf. I think this was the page I looked at.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1775882

This is hilarious. Way to break to fourth wall! I love the rioting Jaegers in the first shot, and the grumpy barmaid.

:classic:

Very cool! I like the sarcastic approach to the stereotypical fantasy beginnings..."Several strangers meet in a tavern....". It played with the genre and worked for your story at the same time!

Nice story with some great minifig action! Btw I really like the design of the chair.

A great start to your story - i like your humourous style! :laugh: The tavern build is lovely too - full of life and nice touches like the chairs and the fireplace in the corner. The yellow on the walls above the stonework looks great too. :thumbup: