Sign in to follow this  
moctown

Architecture Contest: Kranhaus Süd

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everybody!

Today I present my entry (style: architect series) for the EB Architecture Contest and I'm very happy to have a good timing before the deadline ends :-)

Here we go with some information:

Building:....................Kranhaus Süd

Location:....................Rheinauhafen, Cologne (Germany)

Dimensions:..................height 60m, length 70m, width 34m

Start of construction:.......May 2007

Completion:..................2nd quarter 2009

Architects:..................BRT - Bothe, Richter, Teherani

70 metres long, 34 metres wide and more than 60 metres high spanning 16 floors: renowned architect Hadi Teherani (BRT architects) achieved a huge success in co-operation with architect Alfons Linster. The three Kranhaus buildings are visionary, shaping the style of the entire city. With their design which is based on the crane shape typical of the harbour and the glass façade, they are at the same time both solid and transparent.

The Southern Kranhaus is the most southern of the three Kranhaus buildings and thus occupies a particularly exposed position: as the portal to the higher situated promenade, the Southern Kranhaus is the meeting and starting point for visitors wanting to explore the new Rheinauhafen harbour.

The Southern Kranhaus constitutes the centre of the entire Rheinauhafen harbour area. It marks the front end of the marina and towers above Harry Blum Square, the main entrance to the latest and most innovative part of Cologne.

source & more information: http://www.kranhaus-sued.com

In may 2010 I visited cologne and took some pictures of the building:

6898484624_24a1c64318_c.jpg

Find more images of the real building here or on my FLICKR page.

About one year ago I started planning the LEGO model with LDD. I also odered parts from BL, but I didn't start to build with real bricks and put it away for a long time.

Finding this architecture contest on eurobricks I was highly motivated to refresh and complete the idea.

With the intention to capture the original as good as possible I finished the model and let you have the result right here:

7044595893_dd0c856ec1_c.jpg

6898499480_473ba6109c_c.jpg

I also took some outdoor shots:

6898499402_12fa900560_c.jpg

7044595389_d2770e41d8_c.jpg

Find more images of the model on my FLICKR page.

A few model facts:

Groundbase:...............26x16 studs

Model dimensions:.........height 20 studs, lenght 24 studs, width 10 studs

Pieces:...................didn't count, but I think it's way above 1000 pcs

That's it for the moment. You got any questions? Please feel free to ask!

I'm very much looking forward to get your comments and constructive feedback to this entry.

With this contest Eurobricks initiated a great competition and I wish every participant good luck! :thumbup:

So long,

Jens

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

The use of 1x2 tiles greatly resemble the windows of the real thing. Looks fantastic! :thumbup:

When I first saw the photo of the real thing I thought the picture was cropped and showing only half a building. Then I saw the Lego model I thought you only made half the building *huh*

Only after I relook at the real photo did it occur to me that the building was designed this way! :laugh:

Once again, I am amazed by the level of this competition. Great job and congrats on the pictures, they are perfect.

Edit: looking at the pictures again I'll also mention a very clever choice of subject. this building was begging to be made in LEGO.

Edited by Yatkuu

At last we can see yours entry for the contest! Well done replica of the building!

The third shot of the model matches your pic of the original beautifully! Very interesting building and a great job.

Think you've done a fantastic job, reassembles the real thing extraordinary well. I love the way you've used the different colored tiles, gives it a touch of life. Absolutly marvelous. :classic:

Regards,

Wombat

Ah, there it is.

Good work and fine details.

Do you get a pic with the complete creation as outdoor shot?

It fits perfect to the sky.

Nice rendition of what looks like an amazing office building.

Why cant developers in my city build cool looking buildings like that? :(

Yay, finally :D Couldn't wait to see what you'd come up with, Jens! Awesome work, a great colour pattern and very true-to-original build. Best of luck for the contest!

Edited by Miss Kyle

Thank you guys for your kind comments, it's a pleasure! :sweet:

@Bob: Sorry, didn't take an outdoor shot with a complete view

of the model :blush: Maybe I'm gonna take one some day.

That is moctown! So detailed!!! :sweet:

I think it's a compliment and say: thanks a lot!! :sweet:

I love the technique used and the colours presented! It's just an aesthetic building and so is the model. You have designed a great LEGO model!

That's why I am interested in learning more how you did it. Where did you get the silver parts from, which can be found in the lower area near the entrance? And how did you build the upper part of the building? There are 1x2 tiles as windows on each side, but therefore the plates have to meet back on back somewhere in the middle? How did you solve that "problem"? And then there is the white lower part of the part of the building that is hanging over... oh wow! I'd love to/ have to know how you managed this and what the skeleton underneath the visible bricks looks like!

I guess you don't have a building instruction for this, but I hope you will still unveil some of your secrets about the model. =)

I'd be grateful to hear form you!