SNIPE

steering rack steering arm solution?

Hi

Can somebody give me some inspiration on a steering solution for this project:

It is 5x9 holes including the body but the body can have bits taken out if the space is needed just as long as it does not stick out very much (maybe like by 0.5L max (the thickness of a think lift arm or 'half' bush')

Note that the two center axles that stick out are for the drive-shafts to hook up to by universal joints or something like that., maybe replace the drive shaft and the center axle with a longer axle, they go to the differential as shown in the model and LXF file.

The wheels can turn when steering for over 65 degrees so I need the steering rack and arms to be able to do this (it will do it anyway if the steering rack is long enough, the gear on the steering rack is the right size and if the steering arms are a certain length that fits best without towing the wheels in or out or without being slack

Note that where the 4L axles with stops are, they stick out a little bit, this is for the end hole of the '57515' wishbones, there is a 'x873cx1'/'x873c01' spindle with steering arm ball joints onnected to the wishbones.

***Here*** is the model, I am ok if the width goes over the 9 hole mark, as long as it does not go over 5 holes much like I said.

34te6x1.jpg

Edited by SNIPE

To provide some context to this topic, SNIPE is trying to make a "Rollcage Car" (presented on this Eurobricks topic). The car will be able to drive upside-down, and the direction of original travel will be maintained. The car will be LOW so that the wheels can contact the ground (whether upside-down or not).

SO, the Steering Rack problem needs to be COMPACT so that the "Rollcage Car" can flip over, change the wheel rotation, and continue to drive in the original direction.

Maybe I misunderstand, but steering rack solutions are quite compact by themselves. If this wouldn't fit into the current design, than maybe it's time to redesign the thing.

I would redesign it anyway, so that you could fit the new type of differential inside in a much compact way. You could look at current sets, how they manage this part in a pretty compact way. Those solutions don't have suspensions, but I think it would be fairly easy to modify the assembly. Your current assembly is just too big and messy in my opinion, even for a non-rollcage car.

I don't think you can come up with anything (apart from some unstable, unreliable solutions) to solve the upside down steering on the steering rack side of the steering mechanism. So this problem is irrelevant to this part of the model in my opinion. If you are happy with manual solutions (so you have to switch the direction), than a basic gearbox would suffice.

but then the body will be too tall for my wheels

these wheels are the best in my opinion for this model (ones off the williams F1 car as well as the tires)

the gaps on the side is for the suspention boxes, and the wishbones wheels tires and spindle and disks are not on yet as they are not in LDD.

I admit the diff setup is a bit wooly but it could work in real life we never know, if it does not then Id have to change the diff.

All you do is let go of the throttle button on the remote while it flips over then put it in revere by moving the throttle lever backwards. the gearbox is he best thing about this model.

Edited by SNIPE