lisqr

Architecture Contest: The Great Wall

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Great Wall of China (长城)

Size: 8851.8 km (5500.3 mi) 6,259.6 km of actual wall, 359.7 km of trenches and 2,232.5 km of natural defensive barriers

Type: Fortification

Date: Built, rebuilt, and maintained between the 7th century BCE and the 16th century

chinawallarge.gif

Facts: (copied from wikipedia)

The Great Wall of China is a series of fortifications made of stone, brick, tamped earth, wood, and other materials, generally built along an east-to-west line across the historical northern borders of China in part to protect the Chinese Empire or its prototypical states against intrusions by various nomadic groups or military incursions by various warlike peoples or forces. Several walls had already been begun to be built beginning around the 7th century BC; these, later joined together and made bigger, stronger, and unified are now collectively referred to as the Great Wall. Especially famous is the wall built between 220–206 BC by the first Emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang. Little of that wall remains. Since then, the Great Wall has on and off been rebuilt, maintained, enhanced; the majority of the existing wall was reconstructed during the Ming Dynasty.

100_1882-800.jpg

The most interesting and iconic characteristics of the great wall is not only its length, but also its beautiful curve. In most great wall mocs I've seen, the curve is missing. So I want to be able to capture both of these characteristics.

Battlements and watchtowers line the wall. In my design every one is slightly different.

100_1888-800.jpg

It can be broken into 9 pieces.

100_1894-800.jpg

Pieces 1 and 9 can also be connected. So the wall can be rebuilt in different ways.

100_1896-800.jpg

If you get multiple copies, you can elongate your wall. With enough copies, maybe you'll be able to recreate the whole thing. :wink:

More Pictures

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Very nice! The modularity is really neat and gives a unique spin to your design. I love the technique you used with the grill plates to create the tiny windows in the watchtowers!

One thing though - the contest guidelines state that you can only have four pictures of your model in the entry. You've got ten... They're all lovely though, so good luck narrowing it down! :tongue:

Nicely done! The modular aspect is really cool, and I love the way you captured the curve. Too many pictures, though - the rules for the contest specify no more than four. (Sorry to mini-mod, I just don't want to see a great MOC disqualified on a technicality like that.)

Tereglith beat me to it.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

Very nice! The modularity is really neat and gives a unique spin to your design. I love the technique you used with the grill plates to create the tiny windows in the watchtowers!

One thing though - the contest guidelines state that you can only have four pictures of your model in the entry. You've got ten... They're all lovely though, so good luck narrowing it down! :tongue:

Thanks for the reminder. Corrected.

W0w, excellent job!

I was actually just thinking about building a modular micro Great Wall a couple of days ago - not for this contest, but just for personal interest. Thanks for doing all the design work for me. :)

And good luck in the contest!

J

Very interesting concept and especially well executed! You have my respect.

This is really nice! I like the modular design very much - well done!!

Good luck in the contest! :sweet:

Amazing! This is a great entry to the contest. And a winner.

Edit: initially used the word w0w but got Apr1l F00led by Eurobricks ;)

Edited by Creator

This is a really good idea and a wonderful build. I love the modularity, and the fact that it isn't built on a regular square or rectangular base. Well done!

This is probably my favoutite entry of tht contest! I really like the modularity and these little towers!

That's really neat, both the concept and the execution. Really fits the style of the existing Arrchitecture sets as well.

I definitely think this is the most creative entry I've seen. It is extremely clever and fits the existing line very well.

That's so cute!!! default_wubnew.gif A tiny Great Wall !!!

I would definately love to have one in my office default_cry_happy.gif

Edited by Theo

I love the modularity on the design very creative.

Good luck on the contest. :thumbup:

As someone who has both visited and built a 6 foot minifig scale Great Wall MOC - I think I feel somewhat qualified to pronounce that this is pure awesome.

The build quality (not surprising) is top notch, the wall itself is clean and well done. But the modularity and the unique shape that really makes this a winner for me.

Really well done!