Here is my entry for the To Sail The Technic Seas Challenge. :classic:

It is a Sea Plane I have made it entirely using parts from only one Unimog 8110 set. The one exception is the propeller part which is from set 8855. It uses approx 1500 parts. I have been building My own Technic designs for about a year and this is my 6th ever..

The design..

It is not specific to any particular model of sea plane. I simply set out to capture all the key features and characteristics that a sea plane should have and then try to find creative ways to solve the design challenges when using only one set for parts, Even if it is the largest set of parts to choose from. :tongue: ..

Features..

Motorized propeller.

Motorized Pistons.

Motorized compressor and pneumatics.

The same Motor drives the pistons and prop and compressor.

There are 3 pneumatic switches in the cockpit. The left one controls the left aileron up and down. The right one controls the right aileron up and down. the one in the front center controls the rudder left and right.

There is a fourth pneumatic switch at the rear bottom of the plane. it is used as a regulating valve and is not connected to anything on the output. This enables you to demonstrate the engine and prop without creating any pressure in the air system. you can use it as a pressure relief. Or you may use it for fine tuning of pneumatic functions for a slower more controlled response by allowing only a tiny amount of air to escape constantly..

The Pontoons have small gears mounted in them to act as wheels so you can push it along nicely.

The pics are not as big as I would like to show so I will probably upload them to a folder on mocpages and then I'll post the link as I have much bigger pics and more angles to show.

I do not know if I will have time to make a video but I will try.

Please feel free to comment I hope people like my design.

Henry :classic:

Here is the link to some better pics. You can click the images to open them full size.

mymocpages

Finally here is a short video

Edited by rumpletump

Another great MOC!

This is my first Lego contest ever so I may be wrong and this may be usual, but this contest has many entries that would stand on their own and not only being "good entries" (I hope that made sense).

with every day it will be harder to win. the quality of entrys is awesome. i think you have a very good chance to win

Another nice and BIG entry to contest. I like design and color-sheme. I just don't think that using 3 different sticks for controlling ailerons and rudder is very realistic solution. I think it would be better to use just one stick with four-ways turning to control them even without pneumatic system.

Another nice and BIG entry to contest. I like design and color-sheme. I just don't think that using 3 different sticks for controlling ailerons and rudder is very realistic solution. I think it would be better to use just one stick with four-ways turning to control them even without pneumatic system.

Yes it would be cool to design the plane that way.. Because I used the unimog for parts I felt it would be a waste to not to use the pneumatics they are some of the coolest parts in the set.. It's pretty fun to play with how it is, but perhaps after the comp I might make a few mods and see what I can do :wink:

Very nice sea plane! I like how you were able to built it using just the Unimog parts. The orange and grey color scheme looks great on a plane too!

@ rumpletump:

Looks fine!

I'm looking forward to bigger and more detailed pictures.

Maybe a movie?

I have now added a link to my post for bigger/more pics so you can check it out.. hmmm movie I will see what I can do :tongue: