31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Webtastic!

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Hi, everyone! Thanks to the Lego Group, it is my great pleasure to provide you with this early review of the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man set! :sweet: So, without further ado, let's get started!

snip

Set Number: 6873

Name: Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush

Theme: Super Heroes

Subtheme: Marvel Universe

Year of Release: 2012

Pieces: 380

Minifigs: 3

Price: $39.99 USD

Brickset

The Box

The box has the same red box design as the other Marvel sets, except it has an illustration of Spider-Man in the top right corner instead of the Avengers.

snip

The back of the box demonstrates all the play features of the set.

snippity

The Contents

Inside the box you will find an instructions booklet, a comic, a sticker sheet, and 3 numbered bags.

snip

Here's a random instructions page. It's fairly easy to read, and I like the spider web pattern on the background.

snip-snip

The Minifigs

There are 3 minifigs in this set, and they are pretty cool. First up we have our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Like with Batman, this is a good chance to get him if you missed his own theme a few years back. He is similar to the old Spider-Man figs, except for the big white eyes, the much smaller spider symbol on the chest, and the blue hips. Next, there is Iron Fist. I don't know much about this fellow and I don't know why he was included, but I assume the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon will provide the answers for that. And last but not least, Doctor Octopus! He looks kinda weird, but interesting. I guess the cartoon is going for a creepy look for him.

snip-er doodles

They all have back printing too, even Doc Ock! The Doctor also has a double-sided head with one normal and one angry face.

snip

Here are some reference images from the Ultimate Spider-Man website. All the characters look pretty spot-on!

spidermanlarge.jpgironfistlarge.jpgdroctolarge.jpg

The Build

The build is pretty straight forward. Here's an in-build shot:

snip

The Finished Set

Here's the complete set in all its glory! I think it looks great. Lots of nice little details for a set of this size!

snip

snip

The play feature is fun, but it doesn't always work as you can see in this picture:

snip

And of course, TLG had to include some flick-fire missiles. Meh.

snip

Ratings

Design: 5/5 - I'm not sure how show-accurate it is, but the set looks great!

Build: 3/5 - It's an average build. Nothing too exciting.

Minifigs: 5/5 - Doc Ock looks a bit odd, but other than that, the figs are pretty accurate to their counterparts in the cartoon! And I'm just glad to get Spidey.

Playability: 3/5 - The play features are nice, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Parts: 4/5 - There are lots of parts in rare colors, and a few new molds, so it's a pretty good parts pack!

Price: 4/5 - The price to piece ratio is pretty good, especially for a licensed set!

Overall: 5/5 - I think this is a great set! For me, it's one of the best sets this year and I can highly recommend it! I don't have any word on when it will be officially released or what store(s) it will be exclusive to yet, but it shouldn't be too long. :sweet:

I hope you enjoyed this exclusive preview. And remember: With great power comes great responsibility! :classic:

Edited by I_-I_-+=
Pics removed by TLG's request

This is by far the best review ever! Wonderful pictures, it really shows the set beautifully. Thanks for those Oky. Way to step up your photography.

Wow, Oky! You outdone yourself! That is absolutely awesome! :thumbup:

I may now even consider revising my general dislike for Marvel Universe! :laugh:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Why does it say the pictures are unavailable? I just came across this post but I cant see the actual pictures, oh darn!

Is this some sort of january jerks Day wiener? Because if it is I will go crazy :angry: Seriously though i cant see the pictures :hmpf_bad: .

Is this some sort of january jerks Day wiener? Because if it is I will go crazy :angry: Seriously though i cant see the pictures :hmpf_bad: .

Wait did my comment just change A P R I L F O O L S D A Y to january jerks day wiener? :wacko:

Beautiful! These photos are absolutely seemless! :laugh:

On another note, why does Doctor Octopus look like Tommy Wiseau? And for those who don't know who that is, just look up The Room.

Hmm, how come it says photo unavaiable on my laptop? Have they been took down?

Gee, that's a pity you can't see them......try standing to one side and blink real quickly at the screen....do you see them now ? :wink:

Gee, that's a pity you can't see them......try standing to one side and blink real quickly at the screen....do you see them now ? :wink:

That Lightningtiger is cruel! :laugh: This would have worked a whole lot better if posted under e.g Whitefangs name but fair play for all the text and very general comments that made it feel like a review

dude hthe pics are unvalable but nice revew any way>

Merry Fool Day 2002

Edited by just2good

VERY nice review, Oky! I can't wait to get my hands on this set. From what it looks like, it'll be great! And I must say, these are some of the best pictures you've every taken!

:tongue:

Edited by JackJonespaw

Oky, this may be the best review I've ever read. Beautiful! :poke:

Amazing review! I loved how you added the pictures of the characters for reference. That set looks great! Not sure about the flick-fire missiles though...

Oh god I need this set right now!!!! Thanks for the fantastic early review Oky, how'd LEGO let you review this so early?!!!

I'm especially fond of all the white in this set, excellent for Mocing. :sweet:

I still can't see the pictures :sceptic: can anyone post them somewhere other than flickr? The picture is replaced with a flickr logo and writing that says 'the picture is unavailable'

So true it's perfect for MOCing.....I can't understand why this hasn't been front paged yet ? :wink:

Me neither! This is the greatest review I've ever read! \

Ah, yes I forgot to thank 'Oky' for his camera work.....I believe he uses a new Box Brownie camera. :wink:

Ah! I thought he was using one of these.

I still can't see the pictures.

Maybe you should try harder. Try opening your eyes. Does that work?

Edited by JackJonespaw