egosheep

UCS Shuttle Narcissus from Alien

With Prometheus coming out this summer, I have recently been geeking out on Alien-related topics. I have always loved the concept of shuttles in science fiction, so it's no surprise that my favorite ship in the Alienverse is the Narcissus. I have recently tackled it in LDD, just building a plan and proof-of-concept as I'm sorely low on bricks. There are a lot of very interesting angles on this ship and getting it all to fit together has been a fun challenge to say the least! I started on the center cross section and moved from there. I'm now about 90% done, with some tail end details left to do, as well as a lot of greebling and finishing out a full interior.

Here's a little far-off teaser of it floating in space. :classic: I'll work on it some more tonight and I'll post some close-ups tonight or tomorrow.

AL8ub.png

Edited by egosheep

Very cool ship.

I look forward to seeing more detailed shots!

But please resize your image to max 800px as per site rules.

Ok I finally got everything resized, here are the photos!

LDDScreenShot12-1.png

LDDScreenShot15-1.png

LDDScreenShot5-1.png

LDDScreenShot3-1-1.png

LDDScreenShot23-1.png

LDDScreenShot22-1.png

LDDScreenShot20-1.png

LDDScreenShot9-1-1.png

LDDScreenShot18-1-1.png

Here is the cockpit so far. I plan to add in the stasis pods later.

interior-1.png

Edited by egosheep

Woah! Fantastic job, spot-on. I tend not to venture out of the LDD forum here, but do occasionally. Glad I did today!

Any chance of sharing the LXF file? I'd love to get inside...

Hello!

A great representation of the craft from the movie. :classic: I just wish LDD would give out better renderings. The light effects are in LDD are not as good as they could be resulting in an artificial look together with the background. And as you can't see andy grid lines it's hard to see how it is built (although I already saw LDD models with grid lines). It looks like one big piece. :wink: That is of course no criticism against your model which is great. It's why I like real models more. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Very impressive and an excellent representation of the original source material. I'd love to see this one 'in the flesh' but I imagine the number of pieces and the cost of sourcing them could be prohibitive. Anyway, excellent work!

Thanks for the nice comments! I agree that the lighting in LDD looks horrid, but I thought the space background was more suitable than the plain gray one. I tried to import it to LDRAW but it lost a bunch of parts in the process.

I'll update this thread when I get some real building done. Not sure what base color I will go with... either white or light gray, depending on which has the most parts available in that color.

Thanks for the nice comments! I agree that the lighting in LDD looks horrid, but I thought the space background was more suitable than the plain gray one. I tried to import it to LDRAW but it lost a bunch of parts in the process.

You can also output a screenshot with a transparent background by using the 'Tool Box' menu and selecting 'Take a screenshot'. That way you can layer it on top of a plain color background or a different space image (there's lots out there thanks to the Hubble) in Photoshop or GIMP. That's what I've done on most of my recent LDD designs (you can see examples in my Flickr stream, linked in my signature). If your computer can handle it, I recommend turning on "High quality rendering of bricks in scene" and "Brick outlines" - it makes the render a bit more realistic looking. I also have 'Advanced Shading' dead-center on the slider. All these options are resource hogs, though, so only high-powered computers can deal with them.

I took the liberty of creating an example image using my settings and my post-process:

Narcissus_screenshot_example.jpg?w=1417794c

On 3.4.2012 at 8:55 AM, egosheep said:

Ok I finally got everything resized, here are the photos!

LDDScreenShot12-1.png

LDDScreenShot15-1.png

LDDScreenShot5-1.png

LDDScreenShot3-1-1.png

LDDScreenShot23-1.png

LDDScreenShot22-1.png

LDDScreenShot20-1.png

LDDScreenShot9-1-1.png

LDDScreenShot18-1-1.png

Here is the cockpit so far. I plan to add in the stasis pods later.

interior-1.png

This is absolutely impressive!