Tomcat RIO

my 60 Custom Minifigs

Hi all, Kevin aka 'TomcatRIO' here. Sharing my recent project since MCW '11 ended; 60 custom minifigs featuring chracters from my favourite cartoons when younger, and some other more unique characters. 60 is/was a nice number because it means I could just buy a box of CMF series and customize from there, but currently the project has grown beyond 60..

As always, I don't use decals as I am unskilled in computer drawing software and neither have a suitable laserjet printer. Instead, all the mfs you see have been airbrushed and handpainted by steady hands, as was with my MCW'11 Knight Joust entry. Many parts are fashioned from sculpy, or from 2nd party Lego parts such as Brickwarriors( Hi Thrash!), Brickarms, Brickforge etc.

you can find the flickr link here for higher res views and a few more pictures, my photobucket hosts only some of the more family friendly ones.. I have posted many WIP in progress photos on this thread, which will be a bonus to many of you customisers to see the 'behind the scenes'

First up

The Lego Avengers Assemble!! New meaning to the word 'Assemble', because we assemble LEGO. I would probably not be buying the Helicarrier set, but the figs appeal to me so much!

IMG_9888.jpg

First, I'll show a WIP of the Iron Man, Nick, and BW

1st cut

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

Helmets of billionaire womanisers!

IMG_0093.jpg

Ironman was customised at the same time as Flash. Notice the use of CMF Hockey player armour for IM's suit. Painted red. Base minifig is the Formula One Driver.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Final product at the studio, with hands bent outward to simulate the palm cannons.

IMG_9892.jpg

Flip up mechanism for the visor, which is epoxy moulded on the visor

IMG_9893.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

WOOOOOOOOW! What an awesome bunch of customs. Your painting skill is unbelievable. I love everyone there and is a walk down memory lane for me as well.

Next is the Hulk, which I'm sure many of you asking. How'd you do it?

I'll let the following comic strip do the walk through.

wmp1.jpg

DSCN9824.jpg

A makeover with my hairstylist tools!

DSCN9825.jpg

DSCN9826.jpg

DSCN9828.jpg

DSCN9829.jpg

wmp2.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

IMG_9578.jpg

IMG_9579.jpg

wmp3.jpg

wmp4.jpg

More Muscle..

DSCN9575.jpg

DSCN9576.jpg

DSCN9578.jpg

2 heads were specially made( by thickening up a standard head with putty). 1 with angry face, another with angrier face.

DSCN9579.jpg

finished custom, doing the HULK SMASH!!! This arm pose will not be the same as the eventual offical Lego version

IMG_9897.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

That is followed by Thor. Who features a moulded version of Prince of Persia hair, with a helmet and wings added. This is to harken to the classic comic version, instead of the official version based on the movies.

IMG_9894.jpg

Hawkeye - painted in the garish purple suit from the Avengers cartoon series, and similar to the comic versions.

IMG_9890.jpg

Black Widow - I was thinking naughty ( Scarlett J!!!) This is a combo of movie and comic features - yellow cuffs and belt is not in the movie.

IMG_9899.jpg

my much underwhelming captain america :(

IMG_9900.jpg

Next, Justice League Alliance, which is still screening on cartoon network for my nephews and nieces!

IMG_9905.jpg

A WIP shot. Hawkgirl's hair is moulded based on the hairpiece from Angelica/ Queen Anne Revenge 4195. Wonder Woman uses hermione's hair, Green Lantern and Flash as is.

IMG_0088.jpg

A prelim shot in february - now I can't find Batman, he's somewhere in the many boxes.

jlav2.jpg

A first take of JLA vs Avengers. Has got to be cool as a movie?

jlav.jpg

Martian Manhunter, with self made capes.

IMG_9907.jpg

Green Lantern - I have not seen what became of the limited edition figs released in Nov/Dec? comicon.. but I have my own version now!

IMG_9908.jpg

Wonder Woman! DIY and much raunchier than the official! Because I based it on Tanya Roberts ;)

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

Superman with self made cape, hand painted as well.

IMG_9913.jpg

Flash! I added 2 rolls of putty to the side of the helmet to simulate Flash's antenna ligthning thingamagie.

IMG_9914.jpg

Hawkgirl - completely scratchbuild head - from Angelica's hairpiece from Queen Anne revenge set, and moulded into shape with beaks. Wings are painted on a plastic sheet card.

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9918.jpg

DSCN9577.jpg

DSCN9580.jpg

DSCN9582.jpg

Here he poses with Dr Doom, who has a painted green hood.

IMG_9856.jpg

This leads naturally to the Fantastic 4, wait, there's only 3??

IMG_9859.jpg

Ah yes. Invisible woman.

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

the Thing has a putty sculpted onto his torso, and uses Power Miner arms.

DSCN9772.jpg

Next up is the Street Fighter 2 collection. I know this one brings back memories for those who grew up in the early/mid 90s.

IMG_9921.jpg

Ryu - who uses the Karate Champion torso, with a new head and custom hairpiece. A headband is sculpted from putty.

IMG_9924-1.jpg

IMG_9925-1.jpg

Ken was painted red, and follows the same cloth pattern as the Karate Champion/Ryu as above

IMG_9923-1.jpg

Next is a group shot of the 1st wave of customs. You can already the names associated with some of the more famous hairstyles!

DSCN9770.jpg

the Family Man himself, Guile. and his theme goes with anything and everything. Hair was sculpted onto a normal generic piece, literally extending it into a combed GI look. Also note the tiny US Flag on his right arm that is handpainted.

IMG_9927-1.jpg

IMG_9929-1.jpg

E Honda, Mr thousand hands.. Hair is from, incidentally, the Sumo Wrestler from CMF.

IMG_9926-1.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

next,

Zangeif! I cut off the stud on the head, and filled it with putty to style the hair. Hairy Chest is absolutely required.

IMG_9950-1.jpg

Dhalsim that is completely handpainted

IMG_9942-1.jpg

Balrog, with CMF boxer gloves

IMG_9948-2.jpg

Blanka, with customised hair based on POTC zombie long hair pieces

IMG_9946-1.jpg

Akuma with the custom hairpiece

IMG_9945-1.jpg

Vega - I used Brickwarrior's (Hi Thrash!) Assassin hairpiece, i thought it was perfect! Added some hair, and painted in suitable colours, hope you don't mind!

IMG_9943-1.jpg

DSCN9773.jpg

M Bison, with red painted police man cap, and diy cape

IMG_9941-1.jpg

Let's not forget Sagat. You can see hand painted toes!

IMG_9944-2.jpg

of course, we all as young pre-puberscent hormonal geek kids can remember gawking at Chun Li...

I made 2 versions, 1 with brown stocking true to the game, the other in flesh, true to cosplay. A skirt was made for the nottom half of the cheongsam.

IMG_9931-1.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

IMG_9955-1.jpg

Then, Cammy White came along.

I rolled strips of putty for the ponytail, and fashioned the Beret out of putty.

IMG_9936-1.jpg

IMG_9940-1.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

Spiderman Vs Venom.. I'd never had the chance to buy the sets before they were out of production, and the new official set from Lego looks simple enough to DIY

hence..

IMG_9971-1.jpg

IMG_9849-1.jpg

IMG_9847-1.jpg

Another missing gap for my Toy story collection was Mr and Mrs Potato Head, and Slinky Dog. I think Lego couldnt get the licence rights to reproduce them. But one can always DIY! I sculpted them from putty onto normal torsos. Arms became ears, and I used shorter dwarf legs. Slinky was simply converted from a normal dog, by adding round features to the head, and painting the spring.

DSCN9771.jpg

IMG_9951-1.jpg

IMG_9953-1.jpg

Then I began my challenge, making Predator minifigs..

I sculpted putty onto normal Lego helmets, and used a lot of armor pieces from brickwarriors (Once again thanks Thrash, this was from the 1st prize, put to good use I hope!)

IMG_9765-1.jpg

ffy6fu1.jpg

DSCN9780.jpg

DSCN9779.jpg

IMG_9960-1.jpg

IMG_9964-2.jpg

IMG_9967-1.jpg

IMG_9966-1.jpg

the back view

IMG_9968-1.jpg

Then, I might as well customise one of my all time (if not anytime) favourtie cartoons while growing up, TMNT.. Was old enough to catch the 1st season back in '87. Good times after school!

While most of the current generation of Lego afols and kids have fun with Ninjago, I go Ninja Turtles.

This is the WIP - as you can see most of the heads have putty sculpted on the get the correct shapes

IMG_9761.jpg

Utility belt is from brickforge, if I remember. I filled up the front to allow the initials to be painted.

IMG_9874-1.jpg

Raphael has Sai from brickforge as well. Michaelangelo's nanchucks are DIY.

IMG_9880-1.jpg

Back view. Shells are made from boat bottom hull pieces. Bandanas are painted 'flame' pieces.

IMG_9875-1.jpg

Master Splinter and April O Neil - both have sculpted heads and hair. Hand painted Torsos...

IMG_9870-1.jpg

The baddies! Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady. Shredder uses a normal samurai helmet that has putty strips added. Rocksteady has an army helmet, and ammo belt from Brickwarrior. Bebop's head is completely scratchbuilt, except for the spectacles, which are from official Lego goggles!

IMG_9863-1.jpg

IMG_9865-1.jpg

Char Aznable, the main antagonist from Gundam 0079..

This is the 1st iteration. I added putty and plastic card to a castle helmet.

DSCN9788.jpg

An improved version was made, based on feedback from gundam fans. A cape was added.

IMG_9851-1.jpg

Next is my version of Lego's official Queen Amidala. I know that I'm probably never going to buy the Gungan Sub, I have a strong resistance to the Force. Basically just using plates and bricks, and building it up with putty.

DSCN9782.jpg

DSCN9783.jpg

DSCN9787.jpg

The final version

IMG_9979-1.jpg

IMG_9832-1.jpg

and, my alternative crew to the Millenium Falcon: Nien Numb and Lando Calrissian, who flew it at the battle of Endor.

Nien has a normal pilot helmet, with ears and faces sculpted

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9855.jpg

and to one of the best rock bands ever!

John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Freddie Mercury and Brian May. Together, they are Queen.

I got the inspiration from a picture from Lego Rock Band. However, the main difference from the game is that I painted my figures as they appeared at the Wembley concert in 1986, John Deacon's yellow shorts included. Also note Brian May's "Red Special" electric guitar. And Freddie's unmistakeble yellow jacket.

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9844-1.jpg

Some song titles are embedded in this picture. Can you guess them?

IMG_9975-1.jpg

Hope to get some comments and feedback, as well as constructive critiscms.

the next 60 minifigs has already begun, and it will also not disappoint!

this is truly the most awesome thing i ever saw done with lego!

did you used "Avengers: United they stand" as reference for your hawk eye?

Wow, I must say, you've done an amazing job on every single one of these :thumbup:

I particularly like the Hulk, and ofcourse the whole Queen band :grin:

The only improvement I could think of, would be better matching colours on the flesh figs :wink:

These are fantastic!!! I always love seeing the predators in minifig form, yours are some of the best i've seen,especially the helmets :wub:

Keep up the good work fella!

IMG_9975-1.jpg

I see

Bicycle Race

Radio Gaga

We Are The Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody - (put a gun against his head)

I'm a big fan of queen and I need to know how you made the red special!

You are a busy man! I like the custom hair you made for many figs. Also, turning the wampa into a hulk is a very good idea, I like it when customizers sort of lose all respect for the integrety of a product and just saw off what stands in the way of their idea.

Also I like the predators a lot. Great painting and I love the way you integrate the brickwarrior armour. Painting skulls on the round armour areas was a great idea. I have some of these armours here and still don't know what to do with it.

I am not sure about the predators' legs though. Yours make one almost forget that it's a regular leg with a 1x1 brick under it, but just almost. I am currently working on some taller as usual figs myself and I have not found a good way for this yet. There are alway woody's legs, but there has to be a better way.

Damn dude.

These are awesome. Your Hulk, Iron Man, and Silver Surfer are my fave of the comic figs.

But the real sellers for me were the TMNT figs. Excellent job on those.

-Omi

this is truly the most awesome thing i ever saw done with lego!

did you used "Avengers: United they stand" as reference for your hawk eye?

Thanks! I'm not sure about the exact name of the animated movie i watched , but yea, it should be.

Wow, I must say, you've done an amazing job on every single one of these :thumbup:

I particularly like the Hulk, and ofcourse the whole Queen band :grin:

The only improvement I could think of, would be better matching colours on the flesh figs :wink:

Commented noted. I'm having a hard time mixing the right colours even now. I use a blend of pink, white and orange to get various shades.

I see

Bicycle Race

Radio Gaga

We Are The Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody - (put a gun against his head)

I'm a big fan of queen and I need to know how you made the red special!

You are right!! The red special is actually a normal guitar, from brickforge. Then I painted it red with black pedal, and biege frets.

I am not sure about the predators' legs though. Yours make one almost forget that it's a regular leg with a 1x1 brick under it, but just almost. I am currently working on some taller as usual figs myself and I have not found a good way for this yet. There are alway woody's legs, but there has to be a better way.

Thanks! Yes, I agree about the point in making taller minifigs. Experimenting is the way forward. One can always have an army of woody legs for this purpose, but I'm trying 2 1x1 square plates instead of 1x1 brick. The main issue would be sawing off the feet protusion to relocate it.

Wow.. to have seen any of those figures posted indivodually would have been great but all 60 at once! My favourites are the TMNT gang.

I can't do justice to this magnificent work with just one short post, but I'll comment anyway.

You did a great job on all of these and you are a very skilled painter from what I can see.

Especially the Predator minifigs are very well made :thumbup:

Unbelievable! After seeing all these WIP shots, you're paint jobs are impressive and very clean. You must have the steadiest hands on the planet, your lines are so straight and clean for working in such a small space. The sculpts you create are spot on as well. I can't wait for the next batch!

These are pretty cool; the customisation is great and you have a great painting skill! Most of the "Super Heroes" ones are good from scatch, but official ones are coming out; are you going to keep yours or buy the new ones?

I love all of your customs. My favorites are the Hulk, the Thing, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles.

The street fighter series is also great. They all bring back so many memories.

Anyways, awesome job, they are all amazing. Keep up the good work.

I can't wait to see your next batch. :sweet:

Blue Brick

I can smell that from here and it smells odorific!! :oh3: I cannot even think of a word that describes how awsome some of these figures are.I really love the TMNT ones.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I don't really like hand-painted minifigs, they always tend to look so... well, hand-painted. That's not to say I can't appreciate the creativity and skill that goes into creating one, I really do, I'm generally very impressed, they're just 'not my cup of tea'.

BUT imo what you have done here is simply stunning! The painting and sculpting is outstanding - I'm totally amazed!

Personal favourites are Superman, Wonder Woman, Silver Surfer, Spiderman, Nien Numb... and the Predator's Helmets are brilliant - so smooth :wub:

one note.... you should give nien numb dwarf legs so hes smaller

Edited by natesroom

Wow.. to have seen any of those figures posted indivodually would have been great but all 60 at once! My favourites are the TMNT gang.

thanks!

I can't do justice to this magnificent work with just one short post, but I'll comment anyway.

You did a great job on all of these and you are a very skilled painter from what I can see.

Especially the Predator minifigs are very well made :thumbup:

Thank you!

Unbelievable! After seeing all these WIP shots, you're paint jobs are impressive and very clean. You must have the steadiest hands on the planet, your lines are so straight and clean for working in such a small space. The sculpts you create are spot on as well. I can't wait for the next batch!

Nah, it took alot of training and experience to have steady hands, and i visualize and plan before i paint in such a small torso space. Thanks, the next batch will hopefully not disappoint you!

These are pretty cool; the customisation is great and you have a great painting skill! Most of the "Super Heroes" ones are good from scatch, but official ones are coming out; are you going to keep yours or buy the new ones?

I made this figures from scratch because I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford all the Avengers sets, to get the minifigs. And since I could paint and MOC figures, I'd took on the task. So i'm keeping these, and not buying new ones.

I would def buy the tmnt set if you were willing to sell... All of them are awesome!

Yea, I'm getting alot of "Are you selling the TMNT?" requests. Working on my TMNT Party Van, then float the idea via Cuusoo.. Do support with your votes in time to come!

I love all of your customs. My favorites are the Hulk, the Thing, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles.

The street fighter series is also great. They all bring back so many memories.

Anyways, awesome job, they are all amazing. Keep up the good work.

I can't wait to see your next batch. :sweet:

Blue Brick

Thank you! The next batch would be done in about 4-5 months time!

I can smell that from here and it smells odorific!! :oh3: I cannot even think of a word that describes how awsome some of these figures are.I really love the TMNT ones.

Hahah they must be smelly of paint! Thanks!

I probably shouldn't say this, but I don't really like hand-painted minifigs, they always tend to look so... well, hand-painted. That's not to say I can't appreciate the creativity and skill that goes into creating one, I really do, I'm generally very impressed, they're just 'not my cup of tea'.

BUT imo what you have done here is simply stunning! The painting and sculpting is outstanding - I'm totally amazed!

Personal favourites are Superman, Wonder Woman, Silver Surfer, Spiderman, Nien Numb... and the Predator's Helmets are brilliant - so smooth :wub:

Thank you Praiter! Yea, I am trying my very best to ensure a smooth paint finish and sculpting so that they look as good as original Lego prints, or printed decals. Takes some patience and strict quality training to get some good comments like yours. Thank you!

one note.... you should give nien numb dwarf legs so hes smaller

Noted! Yea he should be smaller, I'm actually fitting him in my 7965 cockpit at the moment so the short legs doesn't matter. But when I display him i'll go get a short black leg to fit. Thanks!