der seb

Monochrome Minifigures

Did any of the PC trans colors come with clone helmets? I saw a listing for a "trans neon orange" and now that I already bought it in a stupor I'm thinking it's probably a nightshift satin orange. At least one I didn't have but still a slight over what I'd have paid for it normally. How do you authenticate the PC figs? Is there a different stamp inside the legs or torso? 

s-l500 (6).jpg

s-l500 (5).jpg

On 8/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, natesroom said:

Does anyone know the history of LBG and Light Grey? Why the change etc? Im sure ive heard it before but i couldnt find the info

Some details in the "Side Note - Gray vs. Bley" section at https://brickarchitect.com/color/ .It happened in 2004-2005 and some sets contained both colours link

Catawiki's auction for Lego 90th Anniversary includes a Coral Darth Vader and a set of 30 monochromes. I am curious if Lego will request to pull them out or the Factory items will become standard in the secondary market

UPDATE: the single coral has dissapeared but the set of 30 "incl custom cape prototype" are still there with several satiin prototypes I hadn't noticed

Conclussion (Aug 12th): Yes! auctioned -and for a hefty price- Prototypes and third party items  as 4Dmaster minifig are considered "Lego" for catawiki and bidders

Edited by bitbamboo
Conclussion

On 8/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, pbatey7 said:

One thing they've forgot to understand is that right from the off LEGO like other high quality brand do not do poor quality anything! 

Tell that to people with cracked reddish brown minifigure parts, or the owners of lime Lamborghinis, or just look at light coloured prints on dark parts. LEGO cut corners too. Maybe not as bad as these bootleg parts, but if people are willing to pay for illegitimate parts to be made in non-existing colours, they get what they deserve.  

6 hours ago, bitbamboo said:

Some details in the "Side Note - Gray vs. Bley" section at https://brickarchitect.com/color/ .It happened in 2004-2005 and some sets contained both colours link

Yeah i found the whole thing - i meant to come back here and post that i found the answer on a thread at LUGNET.

13 hours ago, bitbamboo said:

Interesting. They mention the old gray being perceived as dirty or yellowed. I think that looking at the old vs. the new gray side to side, I find the newer one more pleasant to look at.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, Doctor Bones said:

Did any of the PC trans colors come with clone helmets? I saw a listing for a "trans neon orange" and now that I already bought it in a stupor I'm thinking it's probably a nightshift satin orange. At least one I didn't have but still a slight over what I'd have paid for it normally. How do you authenticate the PC figs? Is there a different stamp inside the legs or torso? 

s-l500 (6).jpg

s-l500 (5).jpg

The PC figs usually have straight lines on the top of the hips vs. rounded ends, and the numbers are formatted differently:

laohhp0.jpgu9Y3G3H.jpg

Hello ToastBubbles, and welcome to Eurobricks, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful discussiona d information on our boards.

Keep in mind, though, that the kind of request you posted is frowned upon, as we do nor support the work of bootleggers. I'm sure there are other sources where you cand find this kind of information.

Looking forward to see your contributions to our community.

There may have indeed been a misunderstanding. We (meaning the Eurobricks Forums staff) do allow and even enjoy discussion of various aspects of the LEGO fans and users' world, including compatible and at times bootleg items (it woudl be foolish to deny they exist!).

There is a difference, though, between that and encouragement and/or support towards all of them.

Crazy number of new flesh tones in 21337 Table Footbal set, just heads and hands. I guess Lego will never release hips in those colors...

Latest updated to Monochrome Star Wars

well there’s a Medium Tan and a Neon Yellow & a Metallic Copper in here and others. I’m missing Magenta, Bright Light Yellow & Sand Red. Don’t think there are any more Darth Vaders, anyone? Or anyone know where I’d get my missing ones? 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:13 PM, pbatey7 said:

well there’s a Medium Tan and a Neon Yellow & a Metallic Copper in here and others. I’m missing Magenta, Bright Light Yellow & Sand Red. Don’t think there are any more Darth Vaders, anyone? Or anyone know where I’d get my missing ones? 

The black chrome does exist.

Edited by samlr

On 10/7/2022 at 11:13 PM, pbatey7 said:

I’m missing Magenta, Bright Light Yellow & Sand Red. Don’t think there are any more Darth Vaders, anyone? Or anyone know where I’d get my missing ones? 

Can't you just tell the bootleggers you want those specific colours? At least for current production colours. I imagine getting sand red would be hard unless they find 20 year old stocks of pellets.

As to others, maybe if they blend colours together to create "N choose 2" binary coloured figures.

Not many people have the actual producers of these items as WhatsApp friends and I have some local and overseas cheap sellers but none can get them yet or ever did but I did hear certain buyers (guessing in bulk buys could chose items they wanted and that’s more likely why I haven’t been able to get them. On the term bootleggers I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty as we don’t know if some ex-factory workers had access to official moulds and processes and colour blends or it’s possibly countries like Indonesia or Mexico (Lego factories) where they may not be governed by the same rules or laws (morals) as the likes of the UK or US as I’ve got many of these items and they are indistinguishable to real Lego with the Lego stamps being too perfect to not be from sources close to Lego including some of the latest printed items Lego said on Bricklink that may well be Lego parts but they don’t sell items of certain kinds in large quantities so said they were not officially from them. I also have been collecting Lego for over 20 years and I can’t tell the difference or know of any way someone could copy these so well. I’ve watched videos of people trying to 3D print Lego with £50,000 machines and they look horrendous so you tell me how it’s not real Lego from real moulds? I do doubt some of the quality control on a few colours like sand red as it’s not close enough to the original colour but 99% of the rest are perfect matches. 

anyways I just love them regardless of the origin so if it’s not Lego themselves doing this they are missing a huge percentage of customers and profits by not doing some of this stuff themselves and they don’t seem to be doing a very good job of stopping it if it’s not them.

on of my sellers even works in an official Lego Shop as I’ve seen pictures of it so maybe just a great lover of lego or lego lol-a-likes but it’s strange all the same :) 

id be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on how someone could fake one of these Lego parts as I’ve not been able to find one?

10 hours ago, pbatey7 said:

On the term bootleggers I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty .....  so you tell me how it’s not real Lego from real moulds? I do doubt some of the quality control on a few colours like sand red as it’s not close enough to the original colour but 99% of the rest are perfect matches. 

Are they officially released by LEGO? If not, they are bootleg. Illegitimate, whatever you want to call them. Darth Vader is not pink or yellow or green, which is presumably why they don't sell pink or yellow or green ones.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, MAB said:

Are they officially released by LEGO? If not, they are bootleg. Illegitimate, whatever you want to call them. Darth Vader is not pink or yellow or green, which is presumably why they don't sell pink or yellow or green ones.

Fair. But if you want them to sell to you calling them such probably isn't going to help. You might as well go around town asking for a dope pusher. As far as I can see the producers don't sell to the public directly. Check ebay and talk to the sellers. They probably can find what you want. 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, MAB said:

Harry Potter isn’t gold either but they found a way?! Batman had a black mask not red or purple or white (as pictured) but they found a way! So why does multicoloured Darth Vader sound far fetched? At the end of the day Lego lose money by choosing to not do certain things like sell the odd monochrome or translucent figure. Surely selling a full monochrome set of 50+ figures as a celebration set would work? I bet most people would pay £300 / $300++ anyway in this image of Lego and “bootleg parts” the back few rows of Batman Masks are almost all made by “LEGO” in official sets. Also almost all of my figures that are plain are from genuine Lego sets as I buy them monochrome (like in Everything is Awesome sets etc) or clean them myself from part printed official Lego. 👍🏻

Latest updated to Monochrome Star Wars

1 hour ago, pbatey7 said:

Harry Potter isn’t gold either but they found a way?! Batman had a black mask not red or purple or white (as pictured) but they found a way! So why does multicoloured Darth Vader sound far fetched? At the end of the day Lego lose money by choosing to not do certain things like sell the odd monochrome or translucent figure. Surely selling a full monochrome set of 50+ figures as a celebration set would work? I bet most people would pay £300 / $300++ anyway in this image of Lego and “bootleg parts” the back few rows of Batman Masks are almost all made by “LEGO” in official sets. Also almost all of my figures that are plain are from genuine Lego sets as I buy them monochrome (like in Everything is Awesome sets etc) or clean them myself from part printed official Lego. 👍🏻

They would have had an agreement with Warner Bros to do the special anniversary gold characters. If they get an agreement with Lucasfilm / Disney to do a rainbow of Vaders, then they could do them. But it seems unlikely to me that they would want their property used in that way.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, MAB said:

[snip] Darth Vader is not pink or yellow or green, which is presumably why they don't sell pink or yellow or green ones.

Don't forget the Red original-Vader test helmet from about 15 years ago that showed up in certain Pick-a-Bricks. The color is not what makes it a bootleg, it's the circumstances of its creation/sale. If the Monterrey factory workers were creating and selling black Batman parts under the table, they would be just as illegitimate.

Edited by Lt. de Martinet

13 hours ago, Lt. de Martinet said:

Don't forget the Red original-Vader test helmet from about 15 years ago that showed up in certain Pick-a-Bricks. The color is not what makes it a bootleg, it's the circumstances of its creation/sale. If the Monterrey factory workers were creating and selling black Batman parts under the table, they would be just as illegitimate.

Yes, I know. And this is a real issue for previously hard to find coloured parts that have now become common without appearing in any recent sets. If you want to avoid the illegitimately produced parts it is easy to avoid non-production parts, but production ones could be real or could be illegitimate.  We simply don't know.

It happened on BL a couple of months ago with printed parts. 1000s of Jokers and C-3PO figures. BL suspended them but they are now back. They said they bought all the sets, but BL thought otherwise. The issue then is if they are sold on to other sellers. If they have just a few instead of 1000s, they appear more legitimate. But the source could be the same. I imagine the same has happened with monochrome parts.

Teal head in new Monkey Kid's mech 80045 launching after Dec 25th

And dark purple classic helmet and airtank in 80111 if you are collecting spacesuits.

Edited by bitbamboo

On 11/5/2022 at 4:29 PM, bitbamboo said:

Teal head in new Monkey Kid's mech 80045 launching after Dec 25th

And dark purple classic helmet and airtank in 80111 if you are collecting spacesuits.

Thanks