der seb

Monochrome Minifigures

I have yet to see a dark blue PC monofig for sale anywhere.

As for night shift, I'd say that they come out of the Mexico factory given the proximity of sellers who first had the ABS trans figs.

2 hours ago, steyin said:

They come up on eBay frequently, albeit often at a high price.    I have the dark blue one on the left.

Lego-Prototype-Test-Print-Trans-clear-mo

16 hours ago, samlr said:

You can distinguish 5 categories:

Officially released : those are the commun ones and it includes the very expensive Gold Chrome.

Limited released : light nougat hips and magenta legs.

Nightshifts : those where produced by Lego employees with Lego equipment with the intention of reselling then. They are absolutly not prototypes. They are becoming fairly common. Prices range from $30 to $50 USD for full transparent minifigs, $10 to $15 for non transparents minifigs and $5 to $20 for parts.Those seam to come from north America, but I have had a hard time tracking there origin. When I learned about those, I contacted Lego employees several time, mainly because I was worried about the legality of those parts. They are not clear about there position, they know about those and they are willingly letting this happen. On the other hand I had echoes saying they are investigating. I believe (that's a personnal opinion) that they don't care about the those as long as the quantities are small. The big problem is that the sellers who have those as also have large quantities of unreleased, sometime unannounced minifigs. I think a least 2500 baby Yodas were sold before they released the Razor Crest ...

Prototype wannabes : kind of rare and they are very expensive. This includes the lot of 7 transparent minifigs at $5000? USD, the Tarfful head piece and the transparent Iron Man helmet. Those are almost always shipped from China even when ebay says the seller is elsewhere. There is one seller on ebay that sells some from mexico, not the same parts not the same colors. Using the address and name, I was able to link one of these with someone working at a Lego Learning center in the area of Shanghai. Those are not prototypes and they are currently being produced. They are just limiting the quantities sold so they can raise the prices. With the right contact you can get them for 10 to 20 times cheaper than on ebay.

Genuine prototypes : those are extremely rare and very hard to get without a contact inside Lego.

Concerning some of the polycarbonate transparent minifigs mainly the trans-green and trans-dark blue, I have doubts on the fact that they are actual prototypes. They seams to get cheaper and cheaper. They also seam to become more and more common. It doesn't make sence. 

Thanks for that. I think for the transparent minifigs I'm going to distinguish between PC and ABS ones - probably adding the same colour but a different material. This should cover the 'prototype wannabies' and the 'nightshift' figures, which to me seem to be the same kind of thing, except for the different material used.

I'm fairly certain that when I do change the terminology, I'll restrict 'Prototype' to those that you describe as 'Genuine Prototype'. I.e. those produced officially in very limited quantities with the express permission of someone high up in TLG, but never officially sold.

For the Light Nougat hips and Lavender legs (I assume you meant Lavender instead of Magenta), I'm not sure exactly what they are - I originally suspected they were being liberated from a factory in advance of the set they would eventually appear in becoming available. However I got my Light Nougat legs over a year ago now, and no sets have yet appeared. I therefore now suspect that they are effectively 'nightshift' Lego, so I will probably lump them in with those.

However, I really dislike the 'nightshift' name and don't want to call them that. As you say, I suspect that Lego know about these but aren't that bothered. So they are, in effect, officially allowing it to happen. I'd really prefer another name to 'nightshift' or 'unofficial', but obviously they're not really prototypes either. Maybe I'll call them 'Factory'...?

Edited by Paperballpark

I think you need to get the term bootlegs in there, just so unofficial dual molded legs can be referred to as bootleg boot legs.

Oh har har! :laugh:

Just noticed I have a new description above my picture! I might link to the spreadsheet in my signature.

... how do you edit your signature?

EDIT: Got it. I had to go onto the mobile version to find the correct menu :)

Edited by Paperballpark

Hello, I am new here because although I have been a minifigure collector for a few years, I have recently discovered monochrome and translucent figures and the curious history, I love them anyway and I'm here to learn from all of you, teh experts hahaha,  about this topic.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, Paperballpark said:

Thanks for that. I think for the transparent minifigs I'm going to distinguish between PC and ABS ones - probably adding the same colour but a different material. This should cover the 'prototype wannabies' and the 'nightshift' figures, which to me seem to be the same kind of thing, except for the different material used.

I'm fairly certain that when I do change the terminology, I'll restrict 'Prototype' to those that you describe as 'Genuine Prototype'. I.e. those produced officially in very limited quantities with the express permission of someone high up in TLG, but never officially sold.

For the Light Nougat hips and Lavender legs (I assume you meant Lavender instead of Magenta), I'm not sure exactly what they are - I originally suspected they were being liberated from a factory in advance of the set they would eventually appear in becoming available. However I got my Light Nougat legs over a year ago now, and no sets have yet appeared. I therefore now suspect that they are effectively 'nightshift' Lego, so I will probably lump them in with those.

However, I really dislike the 'nightshift' name and don't want to call them that. As you say, I suspect that Lego know about these but aren't that bothered. So they are, in effect, officially allowing it to happen. I'd really prefer another name to 'nightshift' or 'unofficial', but obviously they're not really prototypes either. Maybe I'll call them 'Factory'...?

Broken, Common, Rare, Epic and Legendary (for the ones we are not sure about) and you can color code them Gray, White, Blue, Purple and Gold ! That is probably what I am going to do for my next update :-D

It's a great idea to distinguish PC and ABS !

For Light Nougat leg assemblies, I am aware of 3 productions (I bought some from each):
 - First production was sold in North America, the color is off and I had the felling it came from before Lego changed there colors.
 - Second production, rarer and more expensive was sold from Germany. The color was right.
 - Third production which is current, is the same as "Factory" trans-monochromes

For Magenta, it was avalable in Lego Land with a promotional minifig (LLP001). Later, in 2019, they had a stock they got ride off by selling them as Build A Minifigure parts in some stores (Including the one at Clermont-Ferrand where I bought some).

I believe Lego produces part for designers, for events or even for canceled sets and they end up not using them. They have several ways to get ride off those, like given them to LUGs, or selling them to big BL stores. As member of a LUG, I was given some "interesting" bulks ...

Finally, for Lavender legs:
 - Some seem to be designer / prototype parts. I've never had any, so I don't know more.
 - The ones sold on facebook, ebay, instagram and BL with the following production numbers; hips : 35-65, left leg 8-44 and right leg 5-54 are fake. There are so many things wrong with those that they cannot by genuine.
 - Anyway, the problem should be solved by next month with the new Ninjago sets 

PS : I am starting to like the word "Factory" !

On 2/10/2021 at 1:56 AM, steyin said:

As for night shift, I'd say that they come out of the Mexico factory given the proximity of sellers who first had the ABS trans figs.

For the PC monofigs, they are mainly sold on Instagram, probably to avoid trouble.

I was offered those, just this morning for $300 USD each :

50933042276_4773857c6f_o_d.png

4 hours ago, samlr said:

I was offered those, just this morning for $300 USD each

Wow!  For those looking, they're definitely around for between $90USD to $140USD each.

15 hours ago, samlr said:

For the PC monofigs, they are mainly sold on Instagram, probably to avoid trouble.

I was offered those, just this morning for $300 USD each :

I messaged Mysterio after I saw his post, waiting to hear back for a final answer but if no one else claimed anything I'm going for the dark blue and light pink/lavender? Haven't seen that one before. Also based on history of PC figs I've bought and have seen sold, that is a fair price for the harder to obtain colors IMO.

11 hours ago, matthewnolan said:

Wow!  For those looking, they're definitely around for between $90USD to $140USD each.

Where? I only know Mysterio selling these, one other collector selling the neon green (which has been super rare), and only know Ting with his ridiculous price tag on the dark blue (in the group image earlier on the page).

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images from the same page. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, steyin said:

Where? I only know Mysterio selling these, one other collector selling the neon green (which has been super rare), and only know Ting with his ridiculous price tag on the dark blue (in the group image earlier on the page).

I have earlier DM’d you the details. Please be discrete and polite. Also be aware it’s New Year in some of these markets today, so it might take longer than usual to respond. 

10 hours ago, samlr said:

Finally, for Lavender legs:

- The ones sold on facebook, ebay, instagram and BL with the following production numbers; hips : 35-65, left leg 8-44 and right leg 5-54 are fake. There are so many things wrong with those that they cannot by genuine.

What's wrong with them? I know they are from China, supposedly.

I have to say I'm not sure what to think about these transparent minifigs. :look:

Somewhere in my head there is a voice telling me that these figs are all fake - and there is a clever businessman (probably in China...) making shitloads of money on selling them to rich collectors all over the world willing to spend a fortune.
That is where I'm out of the process. I had fun spotting the parts for the figs I did not have completed. But now it's just spending absurd amounts of money on parts never officially existing anywhere. :hmpf_bad:

And I sincerely dislike that the size of your wallet determines if you are able to collect everything of a certain collectable. :damn:

These figures we see now have never been part of any sets. So why should they be 'legal' LEGO minifigures? How can we tell? Really, I'm asking because I have no clue how to find out.
If I had a moulding machine I would exactly do this: Produce figures worth 5c on material and sell those with a nice 10.000% profit. :devil:

Anyway: I have chosen to just ignore the transparent figs. I am mad collecting LEGO, but I'm not that mad.

23 hours ago, Holodoc said:

I have to say I'm not sure what to think about these transparent minifigs. :look:

Somewhere in my head there is a voice telling me that these figs are all fake - and there is a clever businessman (probably in China...) making shitloads of money on selling them to rich collectors all over the world willing to spend a fortune.
That is where I'm out of the process. I had fun spotting the parts for the figs I did not have completed. But now it's just spending absurd amounts of money on parts never officially existing anywhere. :hmpf_bad:

And I sincerely dislike that the size of your wallet determines if you are able to collect everything of a certain collectable. :damn:

These figures we see now have never been part of any sets. So why should they be 'legal' LEGO minifigures? How can we tell? Really, I'm asking because I have no clue how to find out.
If I had a moulding machine I would exactly do this: Produce figures worth 5c on material and sell those with a nice 10.000% profit. :devil:

Anyway: I have chosen to just ignore the transparent figs. I am mad collecting LEGO, but I'm not that mad.

Same here. I only do retail set ones. It is fun when you think you spot a new colour in a leak and anticipate the release to see if it is real. Buying expensive made to order ones seems a bit pointless to me.

The most basic injection mold made in China with limited precision costs around $1000 USD. The ones used by Lego, if I am not mistaken cost between $3000 USD and $100.000 USD, the most expensive being the one used to produce the dice part. For a Lego minifigure, you need 8 different infection molds (Left leg, right leg, hips, torso, left arm, right arm, hand and head) 6 of which are not basic. You need a minimum level of precision to have the so called clutch power. You also need the tools and machinery to use those molds. Before you even produce your first minifigure, you have to spend between $15.000 and $30.000 USD. Before you earn your first penny, you'll probably have to sell a 1000 minifigures. All this does not include, ABS, energy, infrastructure, R&D, communication, building a reputation, packing, shipping etc ... This is also not considering the risk of not being able to sell as many, the risk of flooding the market or the risk of getting caught.

To make it simple, it has been done, it's not that easy and it's certainly not a clever idea if you hope making shitloads of money.

How you can know they are not knockoff ? On one hand, the knowledge and production process of Lego are not public, on the other hand, cost constraints are not the same when you sell 1000 parts a second and when you sell 1000 parts over several weeks. Those two elements lead counterfeiters to make errors. It is possible to find those errors.

When you feel bad about this injustice, just remember that we here are part of the 1% wealthiest people on the planet and that we spend a average of 90L of drinkable water per day in our toilettes, when 833 millions people don't have direct access to drinkable water.

Edited by samlr

15 hours ago, samlr said:

When you feel bad about this injustice, just remember that we here are part of the 1% wealthiest people on the planet and that we spend a average of 90L of drinkable water per day in our toilettes, when 833 millions people don't have direct access to drinkable water.

I know what you want to tell me. Solution for this? Not using the toilet any more? :wink:

It surely is complaining on a very high level. But it doesn't help if you compare everything globally. Then we would have to stop 'wasting' money on modern health care as long as people are dying from hunger. :look:

Is it injust or unfair? For me it's just pointless. I had the money to spent it on figures like these. But I simply don't do it. They are not worth it!
Like I wrote: I am a bit mad collecting LEGO, but I know when it's time to stop. One reason that I am not collecting LEGO Star Wars. :grin:

I've done a large update to my spreadsheet this evening. From the change log:

Added Lavender Printed legs (2021 Ninjago)
Split Transparent colours by material, duplicating colours where necessary
Split Transparent Prototypes into 'Factory' and 'Prototype' types
Changed Status of Trans-Med Blue to 'Retired' and Chrome Gold to 'Current'
Added Keys below the Change Log

Let me know if you spot any errors or have anything you think I should add!

Edited by Paperballpark

Personallh I don't think the one I got was fake. I think it was from the factory before they were printed for the Ninjago legs.

Technically the Ninjago sets haven't been released yet, but they soon will be!

53 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

I've done a large update to my spreadsheet this evening. From the change log:

Added Lavender Printed legs (2021 Ninjago)
Split Transparent colours by material, duplicating colours where necessary
Split Transparent Prototypes into 'Factory' and 'Prototype' types
Changed Status of Trans-Med Blue to 'Retired' and Chrome Gold to 'Current'
Added Keys below the Change Log

Let me know if you spot any errors or have anything you think I should add!

Thanks for the great update! Interested that GID is confirmed, have you seen any pics with the Lego Logo?  Otherwise they could be the clones for sale on Amazon. 

10 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

Personallh I don't think the one I got was fake. I think it was from the factory before they were printed for the Ninjago legs.

Technically the Ninjago sets haven't been released yet, but they soon will be!

Agreed, I have the same legs and they don't have any issues that would make me think they're anything but real.

14 hours ago, matthewnolan said:

Thanks for the great update! Interested that GID is confirmed, have you seen any pics with the Lego Logo?  Otherwise they could be the clones for sale on Amazon. 

No, but I have seen photos of one alongside other PC trans minifigs, from what I consider to be a fairly reputable source. Plus @samlr on here seems to think that there's at least one or two out there...

Wow, lavender legs - great! :wub_drool:  Now we are missing just the hips, right?

On 2/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Holodoc said:

Wow, lavender legs - great! :wub_drool:  Now we are missing just the hips, right?

Lavender hips: Luna Lovegood (75969)

Edited by MDM

Now that another person (AN Parry) has it, it seems you can add trans light purple to the list.