der seb

Monochrome Minifigures

Many thanks for that!

Just to check on the Trans Pink, do you mean Bricklink colour Trans Dark Pink (Lego colour Transparent Medium Reddish Violet)?

I'm very surprised about the 'Glow in the Dark Trans' figure, as my understanding was that colour was retired and had been replaced with 'Glow in the Dark White'.

I've also seen Trans Neon Green available, but not Trans Green or Bright Green. I suspect that some sellers are getting confused with some of the colours - especially around all the different blues.

Oh and what colour do you mean by 'Trans Light Orange'? I wasn't aware of such a colour.

I've spent a few hours updating my spreadsheet of available monochrome minifigs. It now says whether you can get each part plain or only printed, and if printed, there's a note saying which sets or themes that part is in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8r22qag71j02r7/Monofigs Parts List.xlsx?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2r16VURO6mm7YQSdS-rOxmu4sowg6j-WOrfoPBO8yCxAQPKd4_43Ykz_s

Edited by Paperballpark

Whoa! That took some time to put together. Thank you for sharing this information! :wub:

On 8/29/2020 at 5:13 PM, samlr said:

Here is a list of all the monochromes for which I was able to confirm the existence. Please tell me if I made mistakes or if you know others !

50283558626_0d8f76dda5_o_d.png

I have seen Milky White as well. Not sure if you want to count the Chrome Red as one too.

I'm looking to start my monochrome collection, great spreadsheet Paperballpark, massively appreciated, I'm aiming just to get the plain complete ones first.

I'm a little confused to the printed ones for example Dark Brown and Dark Blue, the sheet says you can only get printed heads, but Plain heads in these colours you can buy off Brick-link, am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, DStyles said:

I'm looking to start my monochrome collection, great spreadsheet Paperballpark, massively appreciated, I'm aiming just to get the plain complete ones first.

I'm a little confused to the printed ones for example Dark Brown and Dark Blue, the sheet says you can only get printed heads, but Plain heads in these colours you can buy off Brick-link, am I missing something?

It might be that they have only catalogued based on the parts that appear in retail sets. For example, dark blue heads have been sold directly by LEGO in the past but not appeared in retail sets.

Yes, it's perfectly possible to get plain parts for colours which technically have never appeared in a set as a plain part. I got a number of torsos like that.

However, for the purposes of the spreadsheet, I've simply gone with what is available in sets, as that's easiest to determine.

Great spreadsheet Jamie.

Just wanted to give an update on Trans-Neon Orange.  I can confirm its availability as a prototype.  Pics below, ABS Trans-Orange on the left and PC Trans-Neon Orange right, second pic is under a UV black light.

https://flic.kr/p/2ksmwPK

https://flic.kr/p/2ksmXvj

12 hours ago, matthewnolan said:

Great spreadsheet Jamie.

Just wanted to give an update on Trans-Neon Orange.  I can confirm its availability as a prototype.  Pics below, ABS Trans-Orange on the left and PC Trans-Neon Orange right, second pic is under a UV black light.

https://flic.kr/p/2ksmwPK

https://flic.kr/p/2ksmXvj

Many thanks! That's good enough for me :classic: I've added those parts to my spreadsheet.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, Paperballpark said:

Many thanks for that!

Just to check on the Trans Pink, do you mean Bricklink colour Trans Dark Pink (Lego colour Transparent Medium Reddish Violet)?

I'm very surprised about the 'Glow in the Dark Trans' figure, as my understanding was that colour was retired and had been replaced with 'Glow in the Dark White'.

I've also seen Trans Neon Green available, but not Trans Green or Bright Green. I suspect that some sellers are getting confused with some of the colours - especially around all the different blues.

Oh and what colour do you mean by 'Trans Light Orange'? I wasn't aware of such a colour.

Finally got some time to short everything out !

Trans-Pink and Trans-Dark Pink exist. Trans-Pink is a supposed to be an old prototype in polycarbonate. Trans-Dark Pink is a current, non-official production. I understand it is made out of MABS and I can confirm that it feels like ABS plastic.

Glow in the Dark Trans is retired as you said. A least one old Glow in the Dark Trans prototype exists (A picture can be found on the account rarest_lego_minifigures on instagram)

You are absolutely right and to be honest, I was also confused by the sellers being confused. Trans-Bright Green is the one currently being sold and is an non-official production. Trans-Neon Green exists as an old prototype. Trans-Green exists, it's being sold as an old prototype, but I really suspect it to but a current production.

Trans Light Orange, that's me being confused. The one I was thinking about is Trans-Orange.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, Paperballpark said:

I've spent a few hours updating my spreadsheet of available monochrome minifigs. It now says whether you can get each part plain or only printed, and if printed, there's a note saying which sets or themes that part is in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8r22qag71j02r7/Monofigs Parts List.xlsx?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2r16VURO6mm7YQSdS-rOxmu4sowg6j-WOrfoPBO8yCxAQPKd4_43Ykz_s

Amazing work ! Thank you so much !

50916557138_ea82a46f4f_o_d.png

Here is an update ! I found more prototypes and productions. You can find pictures on the account transparent_minifigs on Instagram. I am probably missing some such as Milky White, but I can find any pictures.

On 11/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, steyin said:

I have seen Milky White as well. Not sure if you want to count the Chrome Red as one too.

Do you have any pictures, please ? I'd love to add it ! Chrome Red, there are the hands missing ... It's the same with Flat Silver, but you can use Dark Bluish Gray hands and it's hard to make the difference !

Spoiler

50903151183_acf333fdc1_o_d.jpg

And this is for fun !

Edited by samlr

30 minutes ago, samlr said:

Glow in the Dark Trans is retired as you said. A least one old Glow in the Dark Trans prototype exists (A picture can be found on the account rarest_lego_minifigures on instagram)

Nice chart and great work.  

It would be worth further verifying GID with some Lego logo pics on the fig.  You'll notice no L or R in the legs, so it could just be one of the clone GID sold on Amazon recently.  In other posts from this pic publisher I see "his" wooden duck https://www.instagram.com/p/B6WBrPCJYgD/, but it sure looks like the one owned by prominent collector Richard Bintanja below, complete with scratched eye and mottled back wheel. Who knows, but definitely worth double checking!

39 minutes ago, samlr said:

Trans-Green exists, it's being sold as an old prototype, but I really suspect it to but a current production.

The two trans-green I have are both PC, indicating an older production date.

41 minutes ago, samlr said:

Chrome Red, there are the hands missing ... It's the same with Flat Silver, but you can use Dark Bluish Gray hands and it's hard to make the difference !

FYI the Medium Trans PC don't have matching hands, most use ABS light blue as they're hard to differentiate.

Wooden duck

18 hours ago, samlr said:

Do you have any pictures, please ? I'd love to add it !

Unfortunately I don't, never saved them from the auction (wish I did). If I come across them or can manage to find them somehow I'll report back.

**Update**

Was able to find these with Google, the first being an image from the listing, the 2nd from some other website. Can't locate the images that showed the stamp on each part though.

mw1.jpg

mw2.jpg

Also just managed to secure a trans green and neon green in the coming weeks.

Edited by steyin

Thanks, I'll digest all this when I'm next in front of my computer. Food for thought for some of the colours!

On 2/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, steyin said:

Unfortunately I don't, never saved them from the auction (wish I did). If I come across them or can manage to find them somehow I'll report back.

**Update**

Was able to find these with Google, the first being an image from the listing, the 2nd from some other website. Can't locate the images that showed the stamp on each part though.

Also just managed to secure a trans green and neon green in the coming weeks.

Thanks a lot ! I'll add it to the next update !

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote big images from the same page. Thank you.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:21 AM, matthewnolan said:

Thanks a lot !

Samuel, USA (rarest_minifigures) is supposed to own one Glow In The Dark Trans but he is not alone. 
Sascha Rücker, Germany (magicbricks_lego_mocs) has one also. Those are very serious collectors, but you are right, there is a part of investigation that has to be done and the sheets will have to be updated ...

Concerning the R/L, does Metamorpho (DC CMF) have to L logo on his trans-clear leg ? I believe a least one genuine minifigure with transparent leg is missing the R/L logo ...

Now, to fully honest, I have big doubts on the logos being a proof of authenticity. A bricklink/instagram/facebook seller has put Lavender leg assemblies on sell around last October. The hips are not the right shape and size, the injection molds have several differences with all the genuine ones I've checked, the friction is wrong, the legs make a unusual squicky noise when turning, the color is off and the production numbers are identical on all 5 I've been able to check, but they have all the logos where they should be ...

6 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

Thanks, I'll digest all this when I'm next in front of my computer. Food for thought for some of the colours!

Thank you ! I would really appreciate your feedback !

I've not had chance to sit down in front of my computer (or minifigs) and really look at this yet, but my initial thoughts are below.

Glow in Dark Trans. I haven't got my partially-complete minifigs available at the moment (they're in storage), but I'd be very surprised if those two pics that @steyin found are the Trans colour. It's simply not transparent. It's more likely to be the white version. That said, I don't take a couple of random pics from the internet as proof that a colour exists, as there are too many clone items now. I'd want photos from known collectors before I'd be willing to acknowledge Glow in the Dark Trans or Glow in the Dark White.

I suspect from what @samir said that a couple of collectors may have rather old prototypes (which would then tally with the colour being retired), but I've never seen a photo. Not one.

Additionally, I can't see any photos of a GID minifig on the instagram account mentioned. He has a few of the PC and ABS Trans-Clear minifigs side by side, and the older one looks a bit more milky, but my understanding is that that's just the different material used. I do not believe that it is GID.

It has probably come to the point now that this this is split into two. Niche as it is anyway, it has become two niches. Monochromes that can be made from officially released parts (whether wiped or not, or maybe that is a third strand) and monochromes made from parts manufactured out of hours and unofficially. The latter is then just what people are willing to pay high prices for with no limits to colours and just down to what workers are liberating from the factory, whereas the former is still only what LEGO has released.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, samlr said:

Concerning the R/L, does Metamorpho (DC CMF) have to L logo on his trans-clear leg ? I believe a least one genuine minifigure with transparent leg is missing the R/L logo ...

I think the ghost from the Silent Mary with the transparent leg does not have it.

Edited by BrickHat

9 hours ago, MAB said:

It has probably come to the point now that this this is split into two. Niche as it is anyway, it has become two niches. Monochromes that can be made from officially released parts (whether wiped or not, or maybe that is a third strand) and monochromes made from parts manufactured out of hours and unofficially. The latter is then just what people are willing to pay high prices for with no limits to colours and just down to what workers are liberating from the factory, whereas the former is still only what LEGO has released.

That's why my spreadsheet distinguishes the 'prototype' parts clearly. I am thinking of splitting that down further into 'official' and 'unofficial' prototypes though, although finding the correct terminology is important, and it would also assume that all previous Transparent figs were produced 'officially' - i.e. with the blessing of someone at The Lego Group. But then you get into murky waters, because how far up the chain of command do you go? Presumably someone at a Lego factory gave their blessing to the current Transparent figures...

Anyone got any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

That's why my spreadsheet distinguishes the 'prototype' parts clearly. I am thinking of splitting that down further into 'official' and 'unofficial' prototypes though, although finding the correct terminology is important, and it would also assume that all previous Transparent figs were produced 'officially' - i.e. with the blessing of someone at The Lego Group. But then you get into murky waters, because how far up the chain of command do you go? Presumably someone at a Lego factory gave their blessing to the current Transparent figures...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Well, I think it has been hypothesized that the recent transparent figures are not actually prototypes. I guess you could maybe call them 'unofficial releases'? I doubt they are prototypes given the numbers that we are seeing. They are technically genuine, just not officially released by Lego.

23 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

I've not had chance to sit down in front of my computer (or minifigs) and really look at this yet, but my initial thoughts are below.

Glow in Dark Trans. I haven't got my partially-complete minifigs available at the moment (they're in storage), but I'd be very surprised if those two pics that @steyin found are the Trans colour. It's simply not transparent. It's more likely to be the white version. That said, I don't take a couple of random pics from the internet as proof that a colour exists, as there are too many clone items now. I'd want photos from known collectors before I'd be willing to acknowledge Glow in the Dark Trans or Glow in the Dark White.

I suspect from what @samir said that a couple of collectors may have rather old prototypes (which would then tally with the colour being retired), but I've never seen a photo. Not one.

Additionally, I can't see any photos of a GID minifig on the instagram account mentioned. He has a few of the PC and ABS Trans-Clear minifigs side by side, and the older one looks a bit more milky, but my understanding is that that's just the different material used. I do not believe that it is GID.

The images I posted are of the milky white, not GID.

23 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

Anyone got any thoughts?

You can distinguish 5 categories:

Officially released : those are the commun ones and it includes the very expensive Gold Chrome.

Limited released : light nougat hips and magenta legs.

Nightshifts : those where produced by Lego employees with Lego equipment with the intention of reselling then. They are absolutly not prototypes. They are becoming fairly common. Prices range from $30 to $50 USD for full transparent minifigs, $10 to $15 for non transparents minifigs and $5 to $20 for parts.Those seam to come from north America, but I have had a hard time tracking there origin. When I learned about those, I contacted Lego employees several time, mainly because I was worried about the legality of those parts. They are not clear about there position, they know about those and they are willingly letting this happen. On the other hand I had echoes saying they are investigating. I believe (that's a personnal opinion) that they don't care about the those as long as the quantities are small. The big problem is that the sellers who have those as also have large quantities of unreleased, sometime unannounced minifigs. I think a least 2500 baby Yodas were sold before they released the Razor Crest ...

Prototype wannabes : kind of rare and they are very expensive. This includes the lot of 7 transparent minifigs at $5000? USD, the Tarfful head piece and the transparent Iron Man helmet. Those are almost always shipped from China even when ebay says the seller is elsewhere. There is one seller on ebay that sells some from mexico, not the same parts not the same colors. Using the address and name, I was able to link one of these with someone working at a Lego Learning center in the area of Shanghai. Those are not prototypes and they are currently being produced. They are just limiting the quantities sold so they can raise the prices. With the right contact you can get them for 10 to 20 times cheaper than on ebay.

Genuine prototypes : those are extremely rare and very hard to get without a contact inside Lego.

Concerning some of the polycarbonate transparent minifigs mainly the trans-green and trans-dark blue, I have doubts on the fact that they are actual prototypes. They seams to get cheaper and cheaper. They also seam to become more and more common. It doesn't make sence.