WhiteFang

Help with identifying parts/sets!

@Zeya: The red parts appear to be the reel and axle from this old conveyor belt: http://www.bricklink...gItem.asp?P=630

That's totally it, thanks. I also have other parts to that conveyor belt assembly. And here I was starting to believe that all Lego elements had markings on them of some sort. Clearly that's not the case, at least with some older parts like that.

I had a hunch about the two grooved pieces, so I searched them on Bricklink, and sure enough, they are 635 and 636, two very old conveyor belt pieces. You'd need 631, 632, 633, 634, and 637 to use these for a full conveyor belt, but a capable MOCist could surely find other unintended uses for those two parts. With this said, all of your parts have been identified except those four red wheels with black tires. To be perfectly honest, the texture of the tires looks non-LEGO to me and reminds me more of some micro-RC cars I have seen at stores like Radio Shack in the past decade than like any LEGO tires. However, it's possible somebody else might have a more definite answer.

I think I have all those pieces, except for maybe 637. I'll probably find it yet. Thanks Aanchir.

The tires aren't Lego. They say something weird (I would have to check again to remember what exactly, but it's some sort of off brand).

can anyone tell me what round brick is used on the railings of this awesome creation?

This (there's a newer version, but that isn't available in any brown).

75535.gif

I bought a lot of doors/windows on Ebay, amongst them there were three red things looking a little like doors, but I am not sure what they are:

zQg2z7q.jpg

there is the Lego logo on one of the end studs.

I didn't expect to have to post here some day, as usually I can identify what others post here :laugh:

I was lucky with that buy: amongst all these parts,

http://i.imgur.com/EZ7rl8P.jpg

I found two old black windows http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=7026 which seem to be quite valuable on Bricklink (most of the sellers ask more for one of these than what I paid for the whole lot, shipping included)

You should have had 4 of those red garage doors as well as 2 gray baseplates that came in 2 of the 348 sets. Also those garage doors should have had springs in them (which they likely no longer have)... so that when the garage was built, and you pressed down on the front of the garage baseplate, the garage doors would automatically open.

Also there would have been 2 1x6x2 (3 pane) windows in white for each 348 set. This set was introduced in 1971... and in 1970 new classic windows without the long ledge (window sill) was introduced. The instructions still show the old (1956-70) type windows... and I was wondering which type the 4 (or so) 1x6x2 (3 pane) white windows came with your lot?

Those 2 black train 1x2x2 windows are indeed VERY rare and collectible... due to the fact that they were only found in a select few circa 1980 train sets. Back in the 1980s I found a pair of them in mint (as well as 1 of the rarer 1x1x2 black windows w/o glass) in a German retailer spare parts box. Nice addition!! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Thanks for the identification.

I only got three of these doors, and no baseplate since it was a windows/doors lot (blue slopes were from a separate lot).

I'll see if I can find a way to use them without the garage plate (or maybe just try to get some day a plate on bricklink).

There is a thin metal axle in them, is that the spring or is there an additional part?

The 3-pane windows that I got here seem to be the newer type, with hollow stud and the short ledge.

Edited by antp

Thanks for the identification.

I only got three of these doors, and no baseplate since it was a windows/doors lot (blue slopes were from a separate lot).

I'll see if I can find a way to use them without the garage plate (or maybe just try to get some day a plate on bricklink).

There is a thin metal axle in them, is that the spring or is there an additional part?

The 3-pane windows that I got here seem to be the newer type, with hollow stud and the short ledge.

Unfortunately I am very familiar with the predesessor garage doors (found in the the 235/236 sets of 1955-70) which are gravity opened with counterweights, but not not the mechanism of the 348 doors.

The baseplates are inexpensive enough on Bricklink...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=820a

As would be a 4th dioor (required to make 2 garages)....

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=GrAutoDoor

However none of these doors even mention the spring mechanism that would be required to make the doors open, when pressing down on the garage baseplate tab in the front of the doors.

The only mention of this spring is found on Lugnet... (scroll down for comments)...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/mdata.cgi?q=348_1&v=n

Since some time I have a blue brick from an unknown shade of blue.

As I could not find which color it is, I just guess it is a mis-colored normal blue brick. But the difference is much bigger than the usual mis-colored colors.

Just to be sure, I post this here. I made pics with two different cameras, it is not easy to get these different colors shades right actually...

From left to right on the top pic :

sand blue // maersk blue // medium blue // the mysterious blue // regular blue // a mis-colored blue that I picked randomly when I needed a regular blue // dark blue

(and reverse on the bottom pic)

The one to identify is then in the middle.

rVqnkvB.jpg

Since some time I have a blue brick from an unknown shade of blue.

As I could not find which color it is, I just guess it is a mis-colored normal blue brick. But the difference is much bigger than the usual mis-colored colors.

Just to be sure, I post this here. I made pics with two different cameras, it is not easy to get these different colors shades right actually...

From left to right on the top pic :

sand blue // maersk blue // medium blue // the mysterious blue // regular blue // a mis-colored blue that I picked randomly when I needed a regular blue // dark blue

(and reverse on the bottom pic)

The one to identify is then in the middle.

Where did you obtain this piece? My guess is it's just a miscolored Bright Blue (classic blue) brick. However, it is a very big difference to have happened during the production process. I once obtained some used parts in a yard sale (or as a lot online; I forget; my dad made the purchase). Among them were some parts from 8537, and it looked like they had been subjected to extreme heat. Some of the axles were melted together with other parts/melted out of shape, and many of the Bright Yellowish Green and Bright Orange were faded at least as much as this blue brick is (if it was in fact originally a Bright Blue brick).

I'm not sure how the parts from this lot became discolored-- whether it was overexposure to a light source, being washed in too high a temperature of water, sanitized with household chemicals like bleach, or what-have-you. But in any event if this brick was bought used it could be discolored for similar reasons.

Where did you obtain this piece? My guess is it's just a miscolored Bright Blue (classic blue) brick.

I think it is new (at least it looks like new).

Some time ago I bought sets containing "random" bricks, http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4518-1 + another I think

There were in these many unusual colors, cf http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/4518-1?withpics=yes

I thought maybe I got that part from a set like that.

But it is maybe just a miscolored blue brick from one of the several basic bricks set that I got.

I'm getting close to almost being done with "parting together" my childhood sets. Here are a few pieces that I don't recognize. These would be from '70s or '80s sets, maybe in the Basic or Legoland branded sets.

8598829471_4f5aa8cc24_c.jpg

DSC_0120 by ZeyaV, on Flickr

Note the tiny hole through the red 2x4 plates (modified). Also they have a contour on the near end, I guess to fit your thumbnail in.

The two gray thing are probably technic, maybe from a early 80s space set.

I'm curious what the little people are... Thanks.

Edited by Zeya

That two part gray piece isn't (technically) technic. I'm pretty sure that's a torso/shoulder part from the 1970's style figures (as opposed to mini-figure). Shoulder nibs fit into the round holes in the side and the head piece snapped down from the top to hold everything together. Given that it's gray, my guess would be that it came from set 198: Cowboys since, as afar as I can recall (hey - it's been nearly 40 years) gray was a less common color for that particular part.