WhiteFang

Help with identifying parts/sets!

It's also often cheaper to buy the whole torso assembly with arms in the wrong colour plus an unwanted torso with the desired arm colour than it is to buy the parts separately. (And a 3rd for the hands if necessary)

If you want a plain torso in a certain colour you can buy a printed torso and rub off the print. Usually a lot cheaper than buying a plain torso.

I recently bought some used lots of Lego, and found these two pieces that I can't identify. I'm not sure they're Lego, there were a few dreaded megablox pieces in the lot...

First, this hairpiece (white minifig head piece just included so I could position it better for taking the photo):

hairpiece_small.JPG.10bcc826a3232f9cca2d37ff6f46d398.JPG

Second, this piece with two technic pins and one connector for a ratcheted hinge (or whatever they're called):

CIMG0481.JPG.39f13fbabae25d5395971bb8f3606e59.JPG

Also, during sorting I found a clip piece in a weird gray color:
cimg0480small.jpg

The odd piece is the one right in the middle. It's noticably darker than both light gray and light blueish gray, and also misses the distinctive yellowish tint of old gray.
Anyone know what that color is? The pieces I included in the picture are, from left to right, dark blueish gray, dark gray, unknown gray, light gray, light blueish gray.

Edited by RogerSmith

Those middle greys are really brown looking, it's difficult to work out.

Without being told the colours, I'd have thought 2 was brown, 3 was dark tan, and 4 was tan (sand yellow), but that's just a trick of the light.

20 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

cimg0480small.jpg

The odd piece is the one right in the middle. It's noticably darker than both light gray and light blueish gray, and also misses the distinctive yellowish tint of old gray.
Anyone know what that color is? The pieces I included in the picture are, from left to right, dark blueish gray, dark gray, unknown gray, light gray, light blueish gray.

The middle clip is a fairly common color variation for the thin-O clips in old gray. You will find the same variation in the old gray airtanks.

These pieces were made with a different type of plastic - it is softer and more flexible than ABS - and the colors did not match the corresponding colors of the ABS parts.

The color difference is distinct. I separate these "bluer" clips when I list them for sale and I do have customers who are looking for them in particular, usually to match some from old Space sets.

22 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

First, this hairpiece (white minifig head piece just included so I could position it better for taking the photo):

This should be Lego, just check the inside for any numbers or writing.

Second, this piece with two technic pins and one connector for a ratcheted hinge (or whatever they're called):

This is definitely NOT Lego - the pins are clearly megabloks style. (but as @Exetrius said, there is a Lego version of it)

Well obviously these are all Lego, the odd coloured clip is just made from a slightly different plastic. (like @62Bricks said above)

Edited by mocbuild101

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

This is definitely NOT Lego - the pins are clearly megabloks style. (but as @Exetrius said, there is a Lego version of it)

I am fairly sure that piece is authentic LEGO.  For some reason, they used strange pins on that piece.  I remember this from seeing that piece in reality, and the BrickLink entry pictures confirm that the pins are just odd on this piece.  Does Megabloks make click hinges the same as LEGO originals?  My Megabloks experience, thankfully, is very limited...

Just now, Slegengr said:

and the BrickLink entry pictures confirm that the pins are just odd on this piece

Oh yeah, they are the same... and also very much like megabloks pins!

3 minutes ago, Slegengr said:

Does Megabloks make click hinges the same as LEGO originals?  My Megabloks experience, thankfully, is very limited...

As far as I know, yes...

And my megabloks experience only came from one bulk lot I got which was only 25% Lego! ( and I certainly don't wish to repeat that again! :cry_sad:)

Oops, I'm going a bit too far off topic...

3 hours ago, 62Bricks said:

The middle clip is a fairly common color variation for the thin-O clips in old gray. You will find the same variation in the old gray airtanks.

These pieces were made with a different type of plastic - it is softer and more flexible than ABS - and the colors did not match the corresponding colors of the ABS parts.

The color difference is distinct. I separate these "bluer" clips when I list them for sale and I do have customers who are looking for them in particular, usually to match some from old Space sets.

Thanks for the info! It does indeed feel different / softer than the usual pieces, I noticed that.

Do you know how recent this variation came in existance? I remember noticing an off-colored clip in one of the modulars (Palace Cinema, I think), but just put it off as a very prominent case of color variations that Lego has today (sand blue seems to be a color that is hard to recreate exactly, it seems...the sides of my sand blue buildings look as if they were created from two similar, yet distinctive colors. But I'm getting off-topic). But the modulars came out way after they switched to the new greys...

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

This should be Lego, just check the inside for any numbers or writing.

Well obviously these are all Lego, the odd coloured clip is just made from a slightly different plastic. (like @62Bricks said above)

Yeah, the hairpiece actually has the piece number (30608) on the inside...I misread that as 80608 when I looked at it, so of course I couldn't find it. *d'oh* :look:

The Technic piece looks exactly like the one pictured at Bricklink, so I assume it is Lego. The only odd thing is that there is absolutely NO writing on it, no Lego logo (obviously), no part number, no mold IDs, nothing. But I think that's the case for a number of Technic pieces (again, not very familiar with Technic stuff).

29 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Thanks for the info! It does indeed feel different / softer than the usual pieces, I noticed that.

Do you know how recent this variation came in existance? I remember noticing an off-colored clip in one of the modulars (Palace Cinema, I think), but just put it off as a very prominent case of color variations that Lego has today (sand blue seems to be a color that is hard to recreate exactly, it seems...the sides of my sand blue buildings look as if they were created from two similar, yet distinctive colors. But I'm getting off-topic). But the modulars came out way after they switched to the new greys...

That is the "a" or Type 1 version of that clip - the one with the clip shaped like an open "O." It last appeared in sets around 1986 and I believe the darker color was the earlier version. Pretty safe to assume they were out of circulation by 1986.

Later color variations were quality control issues. Dark red, brown, reddish brown, white and a few others are well-known for their color variations, even within the same set.

10 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

The only odd thing is that there is absolutely NO writing on it, no Lego logo (obviously), no part number, no mold IDs, nothing.

Hmm... if there is nothing on it at all, then it's most likely not Lego - I would check the really tiny flat spots on the part. (maybe next to the hinge, or inside the pins)

I'm sure this part isn't Lego, the molding just doesn't look right - but then again, I guess the photo isn't perfect...

3 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Hmm... if there is nothing on it at all, then it's most likely not Lego - I would check the really tiny flat spots on the part. (maybe next to the hinge, or inside the pins)

I'm sure this part isn't Lego, the molding just doesn't look right - but then again, I guess the photo isn't perfect...

Well, if you look at the the part on BL, notice "Missing part code" and a stand-in number for the official "x277". A lot of other Jack Stone pieces have missing codes as well: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4622-1#T=I. No wonder that the Brickset inventory of the same set (as an example) is so incomplete: https://brickset.com/sets/4622-1/ResQ-Digger.

I'm having no luck identifying this torso. Any guidance would be much appreciated.  It obviously appears to be a Gryffindor torso on Hermione.  But it's not matching any torso listed on Bricklink. So I'm thinking either it is a custom print, or possibly a prototype (very unlikely, but hoping someone may have insight). Thanks. 

IMG_9257.JPG

I've had this minifigure for a long time - can't say I remember where I got it from. I've been searching on Brickset for an hour now, and no luck. Could you guys possibly help?

I apologize if it's a bit small, I resized as much as I could to fit the 102.4 KB size.

what1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Toa_Bomb said:

I've had this minifigure for a long time - can't say I remember where I got it from. I've been searching on Brickset for an hour now, and no luck. Could you guys possibly help?

Torso is from Rock Raiders (hands are changed to black from yellow)

Head is from Ninja (mouth print has faded significantly)

PS You're better off uploading photos to an external site (Flickr, Brickshelf etc, or a free image host like imgur etc) and pasting the url here than attaching files to this site.

4 hours ago, Toa_Bomb said:

I apologize if it's a bit small, I resized as much as I could to fit the 102.4 KB size.

Another tip from my side: Try trimming the photo from unneccesary information. For example all four borders on your photo which only contain black.

Even for cell phone pictures there's always  (at least for android devices) on board software on your device which allows you do so.

Then again I regard you photo to be large enough to gather the information needed. :thumbup: 

9 hours ago, Holodoc said:

Another tip from my side: Try trimming the photo from unneccesary information. For example all four borders on your photo which only contain black.

Even for cell phone pictures there's always  (at least for android devices) on board software on your device which allows you do so.

Then again I regard you photo to be large enough to gather the information needed. :thumbup: 

I realized one post button too late that I could've easily cropped it, but thank you.

12 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Torso is from Rock Raiders (hands are changed to black from yellow)

Head is from Ninja (mouth print has faded significantly)

PS You're better off uploading photos to an external site (Flickr, Brickshelf etc, or a free image host like imgur etc) and pasting the url here than attaching files to this site.

Thank you very much! And yes, I should get on that.

Please, could you tell me if this banana part is the original lego part

I have tried searching but have found nothing.

0_d2d89_427911cf_L.jpg

6 minutes ago, MaceWindu said:

could you tell me if this banana part is the original lego part

There is a banana part, but yours doesn't look like an original Lego part.

1 minute ago, mocbuild101 said:

There is a banana part, but yours doesn't look like an original Lego part.

I know, but is there any way Lego produced bananas with such rounds on them? Sometimes there is so little difference between lego parts.

This part was bought on BL, by the way.

3 hours ago, MaceWindu said:Please, could you tell me if this banana part is the original lego part

I have tried searching but have found nothing.

I checked with mine (about five in total), one of them is exactly like the one pictured; LEGO logo and element numbers between the rounds and everything. No worries! :grin::thumbup:

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

I checked with mine (about five in total), one of them is exactly like the one pictured; LEGO logo and element numbers between the rounds and everything. No worries! :grin::thumbup:

Thank you! I´ve just seen the logo on mine, too)