-zenn

trans-clear to trans-yellow

Search function didn't get me anywhere so...

A time ago a couple of people in the lego community used some sort of dye/coloring/paint to make their trans-clear parts into trans-yellow.

I would like to know what technique they used to get the best effect, so I can try it out myself. :grin:

I know nnenn and I think Pete Morris and a few others used painted cockpits. From looking through nnenn's pictures, it seems he just used cheap craft glass paint and painted it on.

If you just want it for posting online, with no plans for physically displaying it anywhere, I've had good results with the hue slider on photoshop, and I'm sure something similar exists in GIMP and other free editors.

Edited by brickmack

I suppose this fits here.

This might be a dumb line of questioning, but I was thinking of something similar the other day. I read somewhere on here that Transparent pieces are made out of polycarbonate, and I know that is a popular material for the lenses in glasses these days. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to dye Trans-Clear pieces the same way you'd dye lenses for shooter glasses to get Trans-Yellow?

I suppose this fits here.

This might be a dumb line of questioning, but I was thinking of something similar the other day. I read somewhere on here that Transparent pieces are made out of polycarbonate, and I know that is a popular material for the lenses in glasses these days. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to dye Trans-Clear pieces the same way you'd dye lenses for shooter glasses to get Trans-Yellow?

If it's the same plastic, I imagine it would work.

If it's the same plastic, I imagine it would work.

Agreed, what do they use to dye the lenses? Is it the same as to yellow tinted glasses?

I would like to try this out too. Trans-yellow stuff has always been hard to come by. The painted pieces I've seen in some pictures look indistinguishable from official Lego parts.