Sign in to follow this  
vmln8r

Bionicle concept video 2001-2008

If that wasn't actually on the Advance channel, I would have said it was fanmade =/

Spelling errors and general tone aside, it also says the "first chapter of BIONICLE is complete...", which will surely be used as ammunition by the Bring Back BIONICLE group, or whoever.

It was nice to see a lot of those concept pieces, at any rate.

:cry_sad:

:pir_bawling:

:cry3:

Oh... nooo!!! I just want to cry! Why Lego? Why? This vid is so beatiful and well-desinged! Like Bionicle! We have to watch this crappy Hero Factory! THIS CHEAP PIECE OF CALLOUS PLASTIC!!! THIS DUMB CARTOON LIKE THEME!!! Argh... Why have I to live in this world... I thought that I was born in a cool year because 4 years after my birth Bionicle were brought up and I was able to collect them. Now? I feel... I feel f...

But thank you for that vid.

Edited by MakutaNocturn

Whoa MakutaNocturn, please calm down a bit.

I loved the video, and I admit it made me nostalgic. But I love Hero Factory too, and I haven't been so interested in a constraction line since 2007. So I'm going to look at the future with optimism, while not denying my love for BIONICLE.

I like how they completely ignored 2009 and 2010.

Hmm, neat video. Bionicle was pretty cool, but I still like Hero Factory better, what with better plastic quality and how easy it is to make new characters. I like how you can tell in the original concept that the island of Mata Nui was a face.

Edited by Play With Fire

I loved the video, and I admit it made me nostalgic. But I love Hero Factory too, and I haven't been so interested in a constraction line since 2007. So I'm going to look at the future with optimism, while not denying my love for BIONICLE.

I can't tell, but the lack of '08 and '09 info might be because this is an old video. Especially with the "the first chapter of BIONICLE is complete" quote, I reckon this was produced around the end of 2008, before the decision to end BIONICLE. Perhaps this video was an internal thing for Advance employees, celebrating how far they had come with this theme, and it's just being released to the public now.

Wow, this made me nostalgic.... :wub: I had no idea the BIONICLE story was mapped out so far ahead of time! I knew it was preplanned, but not to that degree...

Honestly I like Hero Factory more. Sure, Bionicle is great, and it's story is excellent, but it's the customisability of HF that I love.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe

IMO, BIONICLE is like a back-up plan for LEGO in case Hero Factory has poor sales in the future. I'm pretty sure LEGO will bring back BIONICLE sometime in the future (maybe when I'm married and have kids) although I doubt that it's going to be soon.

IMO the TV show destroys all of the pros of Hero Factory. Comics are good, sets also. But this TV show is so... oh... childish! It's not like Bionicle! No epicness. Do you remember Bionicle Web of Shadow? There was big conflict, traitors, enemies and thousands of Visoraks! That was damn cool! That's why I say BIONICOOL!

IMO the TV show destroys all of the pros of Hero Factory. Comics are good, sets also. But this TV show is so... oh... childish! It's not like Bionicle! No epicness. Do you remember Bionicle Web of Shadow? There was big conflict, traitors, enemies and thousands of Visoraks! That was damn cool! That's why I say BIONICOOL!

Are you really dismissing the entire toyline based on the cartoon only. Wow.

Web of Shadows was probably my absolute least favorite of the BIONICLE movies, so I can't say you're helping your case with that. True, Hero Factory lacks the epic world-building that made BIONICLE so great. But it instead has a simpler style of storytelling that I still find satisfying, though not in the same way. In the meantime, my need for epic, overarching storylines, expansive world-building, and complex character interactions is satisfied by the Ninjago theme.

Anyway, this video is brilliant. Additionally, I like the instrumental version of Bye Bye Babylon that plays in the background. I had been feeling somewhat dejected lately after realizing that, with all the music in the BIONICLE theme, there was no track that I felt could truly represent the theme as a whole. Now I'm thinking I may have judged prematurely on that front.

The part about the first book of BIONICLE being complete is certainly interesting, although I'm certain this video was probably made in early- to mid-2009 when BIONICLE was still thought to have more life in it than it turned out to have. The Bring Back BIONICLE folks might start speculating to absurd degrees about that, and while I doubt it will amount to anything we can all hope that at the next convention TLG will be able to nip that speculation in the bud by either reiterating that BIONICLE isn't coming back or, in a million-to-one chance, going back on their word and suggesting that BIONICLE may still have a future. Either way we have enough arguments over BIONICLE's future going on now, and I don't want to see people exaggerating the chances of BIONICLE coming back unless we get solid evidence that it is a foreseeable possibility and not a distant pipe-dream.

Truth be told I was doodling BIONICLE stuff for the first time in a long time earlier today, and realized that if BIONICLE were to come back, the Hero Factory building system would now be able to accommodate it reasonably well with the introduction of XT4's new "Matoran-size" torso. But of course I've moved on from BIONICLE. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to it if it returned, but I feel no compelling need for it to return when there is plenty of media, LEGO and non-LEGO, that provides me with that same excitement (although now, thankfully, tempered by an adult sense of what I can and cannot afford).

Anyway, back to discussion of the video itself. Some of the early concept art of the Mata Nui robot is brilliant and once again confirms without a shadow of a doubt that Mata Nui's nature was even before the theme's release in 2001. One map showing the island of Mata Nui and the robot's submerged body underneath uses the units "kB" to describe its length. Not sure what this could mean since it doesn't line up with real-world length measurements or the established Matoran measurement system. In this same artwork is an island on one of Mata Nui's knees that seemingly never became relevant.

There are also lots of preliminary names like "Bara Nui" for Bara Magna, "Floating Island" for Voya Nui, "Ancor City" for Mahri Nui, "Giant Vortex" for the waterfall leading down into Karda Nui, and "Giant Power Plant" for Karda Nui. All but Bara Nui appear on a map that I would guess comes from the 2004 revision of the BIONICLE story bible, although I could be wrong.

Glad Advance is still finding wonderful new BIONICLE-related concepts to show us! I look forward to what else they might be able to reveal in the years to come!

Wow. Some of the pics at the beginning of the vid. Never realized how far ahead Bionicle was mapped.

Anyway, cool vid all together. Love the concept art and Bionicle is no exception.

Kalhiki

I grew up with Bionicle, but the series lost me by 2006. The sets were just so far gone from what I loved about the 2001 wave that I couldn't even recognize them. 2009 was an improvement, but the story ended shortly after. For me, Bionicle was as its height in 2001, when the mystery was still fresh and the themes hadn't aged so much.

The most interesting part of this video to me is the description of the Toa's foes as "an evil VIRUS." That to me is evidence that the idea that the various inhabitants of the Matoran Universe being to Mata Nui what cells and viruses are to us, was not merely some random idea Greg F. came up with but a core part of the mythos from the very begining. We simply didn't know it until much later, since understanding that first required that Mata Nui's true nature actually be revealed.

Every time I see something like this it makes me want to think in a movie, despite of the four original ones I like to think is something bigger and epic... WE need another version of the story, Bionicle or Hero Factory, a version for people like us. Every time I imagine that I look ahead for a more epic and serious interpretation...

Spelling errors and general tone aside, it also says the "first chapter of BIONICLE is complete...", which will surely be used as ammunition by the Bring Back BIONICLE group, or whoever.

And the whole video would be their "shotgun".

The most interesting part of this video to me is the description of the Toa's foes as "an evil VIRUS." That to me is evidence that the idea that the various inhabitants of the Matoran Universe being to Mata Nui what cells and viruses are to us, was not merely some random idea Greg F. came up with but a core part of the mythos from the very begining. We simply didn't know it until much later, since understanding that first required that Mata Nui's true nature actually be revealed.

Well, it kind of makes sense. Even in 2001 Makuta's influence was treated as an "infection". And you're right; when you consider the parallels between Mata Nui and a living being, an evil influence like Makuta could definitely be thought of as a virus.

Web of Shadows was probably my absolute least favorite of the BIONICLE movies, so I can't say you're helping your case with that. True, Hero Factory lacks the epic world-building that made BIONICLE so great. But it instead has a simpler style of storytelling that I still find satisfying, though not in the same way. In the meantime, my need for epic, overarching storylines, expansive world-building, and complex character interactions is satisfied by the Ninjago theme.

Anyway, this video is brilliant. Additionally, I like the instrumental version of Bye Bye Babylon that plays in the background. I had been feeling somewhat dejected lately after realizing that, with all the music in the BIONICLE theme, there was no track that I felt could truly represent the theme as a whole. Now I'm thinking I may have judged prematurely on that front.

The part about the first book of BIONICLE being complete is certainly interesting, although I'm certain this video was probably made in early- to mid-2009 when BIONICLE was still thought to have more life in it than it turned out to have. The Bring Back BIONICLE folks might start speculating to absurd degrees about that, and while I doubt it will amount to anything we can all hope that at the next convention TLG will be able to nip that speculation in the bud by either reiterating that BIONICLE isn't coming back or, in a million-to-one chance, going back on their word and suggesting that BIONICLE may still have a future. Either way we have enough arguments over BIONICLE's future going on now, and I don't want to see people exaggerating the chances of BIONICLE coming back unless we get solid evidence that it is a foreseeable possibility and not a distant pipe-dream.

Truth be told I was doodling BIONICLE stuff for the first time in a long time earlier today, and realized that if BIONICLE were to come back, the Hero Factory building system would now be able to accommodate it reasonably well with the introduction of XT4's new "Matoran-size" torso. But of course I've moved on from BIONICLE. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to it if it returned, but I feel no compelling need for it to return when there is plenty of media, LEGO and non-LEGO, that provides me with that same excitement (although now, thankfully, tempered by an adult sense of what I can and cannot afford).

Anyway, back to discussion of the video itself. Some of the early concept art of the Mata Nui robot is brilliant and once again confirms without a shadow of a doubt that Mata Nui's nature was even before the theme's release in 2001. One map showing the island of Mata Nui and the robot's submerged body underneath uses the units "kB" to describe its length. Not sure what this could mean since it doesn't line up with real-world length measurements or the established Matoran measurement system. In this same artwork is an island on one of Mata Nui's knees that seemingly never became relevant.

There are also lots of preliminary names like "Bara Nui" for Bara Magna, "Floating Island" for Voya Nui, "Ancor City" for Mahri Nui, "Giant Vortex" for the waterfall leading down into Karda Nui, and "Giant Power Plant" for Karda Nui. All but Bara Nui appear on a map that I would guess comes from the 2004 revision of the BIONICLE story bible, although I could be wrong.

Did Lego created all the names for all islands in Mata Nui robot in 2001? :wacko:

BTW: I can't agree with you because I would like to see Bionicle again.

Do remember that Hero Factory's television show is aimed at children and is to endorse the sets themselves. The BIONICLE movies may have been in the same sense, but they were movies, not shorts that have no time to explain every single thing.

And also, this is not exactly the best place to flame Hero Factory's television show. I don't want to doubt you guys (Considering I'm err- how many posts old?) but I think it is only appropriate that we keep Hero Factory discussion to a minimum and focus on the video. If you have a dire need to rant about how childish and boring Hero Factory's show is, I suggest going to a different topic. Just my two cents.

Honestly I almost see Hero Factory as a successor to Bionicle, almost like a future vision of some sort. If they so pleased they could perhaps cross the two over as it's own planetary story arc, a mix between heroes from HF and Bionicle (who use a hybrid between the two styles) and villains (same as Bionicle hybrid). What do you guys think?

Well, it kind of makes sense. Even in 2001 Makuta's influence was treated as an "infection". And you're right; when you consider the parallels between Mata Nui and a living being, an evil influence like Makuta could definitely be thought of as a virus.

If you remember MNOLG, there was a plot thread that involved an entire village getting sick from "infected" sports equipment, which you later discover was contaminated by one of Makuta's servants. So yes, the virus theme is definitely an old, well-established one.

Honestly I almost see Hero Factory as a successor to Bionicle, almost like a future vision of some sort. If they so pleased they could perhaps cross the two over as it's own planetary story arc, a mix between heroes from HF and Bionicle (who use a hybrid between the two styles) and villains (same as Bionicle hybrid). What do you guys think?

The idea is okay, but the crossover style thing likely wouldn't work.

I see Bionicle and Hero Factory as two completely separate entities, so I would not like them to have a crossover.

Also, I find it funny that every Bionicle video posted nowadays is met with a debacle of whether Bionicle or Hero Factory is better. :tongue: I slightly prefer Bionicle overall, but I still love Hero Factory.