Sign in to follow this  
Frank STENGEL

Unbending Tracks

I recently bought a small bunch of RC/PF tracks during a garage sale. They were cheap, really cheap. The thing is the points are bent: when on a flat surface, the ends stick out by 0.5-1cm. It seems they were stored in a hot garage attic...

Has anyone an idea on flattening the thingies? I mean anything quicker than: "put it under a few dozen pounds of books and wait for a (very long) while" would be welcome.

You could try heat. I think Lego starts to soften 200F-300F, but this, I found, might contradict that:

• ABS maximum temperature is 80C (176F) and melt at 105C (221F)
  • Polycarbonate plastic used for transparent bricks melt at 267C (512.6F)

Still if you use your oven and start the heat a it's minimum (mine is as low as 170F) and raise it slowly you should be fine. Definitely try a practice run first

default_classic.gif

Edited by Lego Guy Bri

try a hair dryer and then put a heavy book on top to hold it flat. I once had a LEGO hotrod style exhaust pipe that was bent, i heated it with a candle and it got very soft very quick. A hair dryer on hi should work fine. I use that method to soften the leather on work boots to speed the breaking in process.

Sal

WFB, WI

Still if you use your oven and start the heat a it's minimum (mine is as low as 170F) and raise it slowly you should be fine. Definitely try a practice run first

default_classic.gif

Tried that out. I heated the point to about 100C (212F) for 5-10 minutes until it started flattening. Took it out and let it cool under some weight. And voilà, a nice flat point...

Thanks.

Edited by Frank STENGEL

Tried that out. I heated the point to about 100C (212F) for 5-10 minutes until it started flattening. Took it out and let it cool under some weight. And voilà, a nice flat point...

Thanks.

Glad it worked out for you! And thanks for the info on heating, I have a few elements that need it default_classic.gif

Glad it worked out for you! And thanks for the info on heating, I have a few elements that need it default_classic.gif

Just one thing: keep a constant eye on the parts. You want to be able to take them out of the oven before they are overcooked :wink: I had a chair in front of the oven which had my wife wondering what paint I was watching dry *huh*

Just one thing: keep a constant eye on the parts. You want to be able to take them out of the oven before they are overcooked I had a chair in front of the oven which had my wife wondering what paint I was watching dry

Good to know. About how long did you have in?

I had a chair in front of the oven which had my wife wondering what paint I was watching dry *huh*

:laugh: Mom, I'm bakin' some LOLs. I need to make shure it's just right. haha. :laugh:

Boiling some water in the microwave and then putting the pieces in the boiling water is a mostly safe way. Water boils at 212 degrees F.

Boiling some water in the microwave and then putting the pieces in the boiling water is a mostly safe way. Water boils at 212 degrees F.

Actually, I tried this. It did not work: the water cooled too fast for it to properly heat the rather large parts.

Actually, I tried this. It did not work: the water cooled too fast for it to properly heat the rather large parts.

You could try a double boiler method on the stove top too.. a bit of a PIA though.

You could try a double boiler method on the stove top too.. a bit of a PIA though.

Yep, a Pain In Anterior would be the result if you stood too close to the stove too long.

Beware! Check the temperature of your oven and stay there to be able to act quick!

As previously stated ABS starts melting at about 105 °C. I just made the bitter default_sing.gif experience. I had wanted to go faster and heated the oven to 110 °C. Result : a totally shrunk piece of plastic ready for the bin (or to be used for modding !)

Ups, this sounds like Dali's tracks:

salvador-dali-clock-melting-clocks-78104.jpg

You should call those track an art and sell them for a lot of money:-)