Sign in to follow this  
Dapper-D2

I grew up on Lego Technic.

I grew up on Lego Technic and still have all my old sets with instructions. I thought it would be fun to share them here. If anyone has an old Technic set I’d love to see it! Feel free to add it to this thread. Enjoy!

From 1978, Set 948 Go-Cart

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002-3.jpg

From 1979, Set 951 Bulldozer

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

From 1981, Set 8845 Dune Buggy

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

From 1981, Set 8859 Tractor

Picture007-4.jpg

Picture008-3.jpg

Thanks mom for buying me these sets, and more importantly teaching me how to take care of them!

I'm afraid that, since I was born even before The Lego Group started producing plastic toys in 1958, I grew up BEFORE Lego Technic. :cry_sad: I guess that makes me a "fossil"! :tongue: These are the kinds of sets I had (as shown from a 1974 British Lego catalog):

cat7413.jpg

I started with the basic building blocks, but my first technic set was the 948 go cart. I still have the instructions. I probaly should try to build it just for the significance of it.

Good job taking care of your sets. I didn't get into Technic until after my dark ages.

Nice stuff there Dapper. I remember us playing with them in your house like it was yesterday..

Ohhh the memories. Great stuff Daps

my first technic set was my last lego set before the dark ages set in, so i can't say i grew up with technic, although i did grow up with lego. still, had it not been for the technic theme, i would likely have never re-established my connection with lego, other than to give it as a gift.

KEvron

Nice! Those pictures take me back. I had the 854 Go Kart, 853 Auto Chassis, 852 Helicopter and the 856 Bulldozer, which was my favorite by far.

The first set I got coming back into Lego and Technic was the 8063 Tractor with Trailer. I have acquired about 24 more sets since then, catching up to current times. The highlights so far are the 8455, 8421, 8275 and 8043. Good times! :thumbup:

LOL, I have the 951, the red n yellow crane set, ( cant think of the number off the top of my head ) I have the old 78 farm tractor, that was my first. Last thing I got was the old VW car, still have them. I built the 951 a couple years ago when I got back into it. Now I,m getting into lift arms and studless building, I messed with them till I was about 15 0r 16, then they got put away till I turn 40ish, LOL. I must say things have come a long way since those days.

Dan

I grew up on Lego Technic and still have all my old sets with instructions. I thought it would be fun to share them here. If anyone has an old Technic set I’d love to see it! Feel free to add it to this thread. Enjoy!

Looks like you have kept your sets in incredibly good condition! It takes discipline to take care of your sets when you are a kid. I don't even see any teeth marks!

When I was a kid I had mostly Space and a few Universal type sets. I didn't get Technic until I was an adult, but then I had to get all of them. You may be interested in seeing all the other old sets that were available at the time at Technicopedia.

856revolve.gif

Edited by Blakbird

856revolve.gif

I love that dozer and thought of building a modernized, studless version at some point. Your renders are very nice, Blakbird. I love the animated ones!

Looks like you have kept your sets in incredibly good condition! It takes discipline to take care of your sets when you are a kid. I don't even see any teeth marks!

When I was a kid I had mostly Space and a few Universal type sets. I didn't get Technic until I was an adult, but then I had to get all of them. You may be interested in seeing all the other old sets that were available at the time at Technicopedia.

856revolve.gif

The pieces are more beat up than they appear from many years of play. The sunlight just did a great job of hiding all the teeth marks. :laugh: Thanks for the link!

I love that dozer and thought of building a modernized, studless version at some point. Your renders are very nice, Blakbird. I love the animated ones!

The bulldozer is one of my favorites too!

Nice stuff there Dapper. I remember us playing with them in your house like it was yesterday..

Ohhh the memories. Great stuff Daps

Thanks Envy! Some of those teeth marks are probably yours too. :grin:

I'm afraid that, since I was born even before The Lego Group started producing plastic toys in 1958, I grew up BEFORE Lego Technic. :cry_sad: I guess that makes me a "fossil"! :tongue: These are the kinds of sets I had (as shown from a 1974 British Lego catalog):

cat7413.jpg

Those are some cool sets! I wonder what they would be worth if you had a new one still in the box.

Nice! Those pictures take me back. I had the 854 Go Kart, 853 Auto Chassis, 852 Helicopter and the 856 Bulldozer, which was my favorite by far.

The first set I got coming back into Lego and Technic was the 8063 Tractor with Trailer. I have acquired about 24 more sets since then, catching up to current times. The highlights so far are the 8455, 8421, 8275 and 8043. Good times! :thumbup:

I just looked through all those numbers on Brickset and I’ve definitely been contemplating picking up the Motorized Excavator set 8043.

I can say I grew up on Technic, that must be a mayor factor in me being a mechanical engineer now...

I grew up a bit beyond the days of early Technic, I was alive but as young kid I mainly got the Legoland space or town sets, but I did get the Go-Kart on my 6th birthday in 1979, wish I'd asked for the bulldozer. The land raker model is quite cool too. In my estimation the older Technic sets maybe looked simpler and smaller than today's huge sets, but they used less pins, which is the majority of what makes up a Technic set nowadays, but they were more intricate in other ways, specialized gearing and some of the older parts were just plain cool. I love the old studded items, even when I picked up the 8439 re-release of the Front End Loader and more recently the 8460 Mobile Crane, I have begun to really appreciate the parts we never see anymore, like the plates with holes in them, the studded beams, and other useful parts to create your own MOC. Don't get me wrong I love the new Technic, which basically started in 2004 with the smooth beams and liftarms and such, but the older sets held many opportunities to make MOC's, whereas the new sets aren't quite as versatile in doing so, not many plates and virtually no studded construction anymore. Many of you have created great looking MOC's with the studless and pin construction, but the old stuff, which most is way beyond getting new any longer except for a few here and there on Bricklink, also prices have skyrocketed since they are like collector's items nowadays some 25-35 years later.

Thanks mom for buying me these sets, and more importantly teaching me how to take care of them!

Look at those prices, even if in Euros, look how far we've come in terms of pricing.

cat7413.jpg

In my mind, that bulldozer beats out any since, even the 8275, wish I could get my hands on the 1978 one now new in box. Of course, if I recall, they haven't really produced a bulldozer larger than a mini one or some 'b' model versions which looked cruddy, anybody ever build the 'b' version bulldozer out of the 8272 Snowmobile set, that was just plain ugly.

856revolve.gif

My first set was the red tractor, 851, which would probably have been a christmas gift in 1980, followed by the yellow forklift, 850, for my birthday a month later.

What I remember most is that they were bought in a proper, old, local toy shop. The shop used to be a gentleman's outfitters. The walls were lined with wooden display cabinets and drawers. The Technical Lego was stored and displayed along the top of these. The drawers which previously would have held carefully folded shirts and ties now held nothing but Britains figures and animals carefully laid out for display, and the glass topped counter held Britains tractors and accessories.

I have a pic of all the sets along with newer ones but it's on a different PC at the moment. Will stick it up later. They're generally in good condition, all in original boxes if a bit tatty now. I really miss the plastic trays and inserts they used to come with.

When I was 3, my dad bought this:

8843-1.gif?0

To this day, he claims it was a gift for me :D

Edited by mahjqa

Well, I feel really young now :tongue:

My first Technic set was the Mountain Rambler from 1997... I quite well remember getting it for my 6th birthday, sitting on the living room floor and building it while the sun shone outside... I know it's a relatively small set by Technic standards but back then it was huge to me :laugh:

That was followed by the Forklift Truck from 1998... and to be honest, I didn't have much else in the way of Technic after, though not from want of trying, and I did have a couple of other small sets, but it's those two that are pretty much responsible for steering me into Technic.

The first one I remember, and one of my all time childhood favourite 'toys' was the 8860 chassis. Working suspension, rack and pinion steering, gearbox(!), moving pistons, adjustable seats. To my young mind it was the 8th wonder of the world. I rebought one from ebay a couple of years ago, but my parents passed all my lego onto relatives etc when I grew up.

When I got back into lego I started with technic - the 8421 mobile crane and 8275 bulldozer, and most recently 8043 excavator. Now I've started to migrate into Star Wars and modular stuff with my kids, so I'm selling 8421 and 8275, but I'll be keeping my 8043

Edited by mrklaw

After moving from Duplo onto Lego system my parents introduced me to technic in my early teens, with 8815: Speedway Bandit. From there I was hooked :) Unfortuantely I never got the larger flagship sets, only the smaller models. I'd say I started to lose interest in technic from around 1997. I think it was around this time that the technic line lost the plot a bit and TLG released some really bad sets. I emerged from my dark ages when my wife bought me 8273, and I haven't looked back since.

Edited by phool

I emerged from my dark ages when my wife bought me 8273, and I haven't looked back since.

How did you like the 8273? That is one I'm still considering. It got good reviews on Brickset and seems like a nice set. I'll either pick one up if I can find a decent price or piece one together.