Captainmorgan

What date (time period) do you set your pirates in?

Well I am just wondering, do you set your themes in the 1700s/1600s etc.? I set mine around the late seventeen hundreds, but I might starting going to the golden age of pirates 1650-1670. So just what time do you set your ships and ports? :jollyroger:

Edited by Big Cam
Updated title

Early-to-mid 1700s for me, as the imperials have uniforms, which only became widespread in the 1700s. I would put the 1996 Imperial Armada in the 1500s-1600s though, due to their morions and cuirasses.

The classic era of pirates where all the famous ones are from, where right after Queen Annes war ended in 1713.

After 11 years of warfare, there where quite a lot of military men who where let go, but had become so skilled at what they did, that they simply continued anyway on their own.

In the beginning noone really cared, but eventually the problem had to be dealt with.

By 1725 most pirates had been hunted down.

Blackbeard went down in 1718. Bartholomew Roberts in 1722. Edward England (who flew the Jolly Roger) in 1720.

Mine are probably set around the mid-1700's although could even be headed later than that towards French Revolutionary times - even though I'm completely aware that this is in no way the "Golden Age" of piracy. My pirates are set completely in their own fantasy world and thus the specific time era doesn't matter too much to me :pir-sweet:

I set the date around 1750-1800, the time of large ships of the line and devestating sea battles. Napoleon and post French Revolution, that kind of stuff. :pir-classic:

In the guilds of Historica I set the date to the late middle ages, 1500-1600, which has links with the beginnings of the age of sail.

Interesting topic! :thumbup:

I set the date around 1750-1800, the time of large ships of the line and devestating sea battles.

Same here. Since the imperial soldiers tend to meet the desricption of the soldiers of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic time periods, I tend to believe that the Lego Pirates date in that era. There were still pirates during that period, although it was not the golden age. The islanders also represent the Polynesian cultures and most of them were not discovered by Europeans until the British started to explore that region in the mid to late 1700's. When I build with my Spanish soliders though, I base the time period off of the late 1400's to the late 1500's.

It's easy to say when the Redcoats (British) come into things as the Shako's only came into service about 1800 (I'm no expert). Also that is the same with the Bluecoats (French) as their Shako's entered service in about the same sort of time. Over all this puts the Imperials at about 1800 to 1840.

I never bothered with dates, I just place them within the theme. thats all :pir-classic:

To be honest, that's kind of what I do as well. I've never really thought about a date period.

To be honest, that's kind of what I do as well. I've never really thought about a date period.

Me not really either in fact, but I did some research to find out the proper coloursheme for my ships, as well for the uniforms, flags and decoration style. These things changed a lot during the age of sail.

During the early 1700's, during Bart Roberts' time, since he was my favorite pirate, and I couldn't have a crew without a Bart...

Edited by Admiral Coco

To be fair, for the actual army building itself, I actually go with around 1770's (the shako also works as a light infantry headpiece for the British in that time period.) For the army, some dates need a little fudging as there are shakos, bicornes, tricornes, bearskins, and the Balmoral for different units. Granted, because these are different units, the fudging isn't that great. Meanwhile, my pirates actually move into that era as well. Things are going to change, however, if the new Conquistadors from the CMF come out, as I will actually begin to shift time periods in regards to building (1550's-1650's).

to be honest I don't care when my pirate MOCs are set. I guess they are based around Napoleonic times but I don't think about that when I am building them, what matters is that they are pirates.

No particular time, though obviously roughly 1600-1800. I see LEGO Pirates as I see LEGO Castle; a fantasy setting that does not need to follow any specific time period or reality too stringent or accurately. I also like using the fantasy creatures from both Pirates and Castle, which makes 'realism' a moot point.

But obviously, I'm still trying to maintain some sort of historical feel - as in I'm not throwing around dinosaurs and space ships and stuff.

No particular time, though obviously roughly 1600-1800. I see LEGO Pirates as I see LEGO Castle; a fantasy setting that does not need to follow any specific time period or reality too stringent or accurately. I also like using the fantasy creatures from both Pirates and Castle, which makes 'realism' a moot point.

But obviously, I'm still trying to maintain some sort of historical feel - as in I'm not throwing around dinosaurs and space ships and stuff.

It is precise the same in my household! Here you can allso meet "Krakken" and orther monsters of the deep, with is quit "un-real". When that said, I´m leaning more to the later part of the period, because of the uniforms and lack of armor.

I get the feeling that as far as pirates themselves are concerned, nobody's really too concerned. When it comes to other areas, i.e. Napoleon, the American or French revolution, and so on, that's when we start getting factual with the dates.

My Imperial Navy and Pirates have the look of the 1800's. However, they work near a town that is 1960's. Basically, the pirates had nothing better to do. In fact, they are, for the most part, basically harmless. :pir-blush:

I don't have a set date for my LEGO Pirates, no I don't know enough about history for that. Probably around the times of conquistador's, only because now I've got a lot of CMF Aztecs.(I seem to get them in every pack, but Hey, I'm not complaining :pir-classic:.)

Edited by Captain Settle

I don't have a set date for my LEGO Pirates, no I don't know enough about history for that. Probably around the times of conquistador's, only because now I've got a lot of CMF Aztecs.(I seem to get them in every pack, but Hey, I'm not complaining :pir-classic:.)

Ah but then you can't use any cannons nor imperial uniforms. :p

I just set them around the "Pirate Era"... a wide range in which Pirates fought Islanders and Imperials. Nothing wrong with romanticizing murderous pirates! :pir_laugh2:

Ah but then you can't use any cannons nor imperial uniforms. :p

NOOOOOOO! MY PRECIOUS REDCOATS! It doesn't really matter, I don't know much history, and I never really think about the time period. It's just since I only started finding Aztecs in my CMF bags recently, I have been doing MOC's for them, and using them as islanders almost; just more religious islanders.

NOOOOOOO! MY PRECIOUS REDCOATS! It doesn't really matter, I don't know much history, and I never really think about the time period. It's just since I only started finding Aztecs in my CMF bags recently, I have been doing MOC's for them, and using them as islanders almost; just more religious islanders.

I mean, if we get extremely technical, you would have Redcoats with tricornes in the South Pacific Islands (Think Captain Cook) But that is splitting tremendous hairs at that point.