Dakar A

Cigarette Boat

indexed.gif V-W-4D

Such a beautiful day to be speeding along, atop the waves! :laugh:

The cigartee Boat has been around for a long time, going through a large number of aliases. A go-fast boat, is a small, fast boat designed with a long narrow platform and a planing hull to enable it to reach high speeds.

During the era of Prohibition in the United States, these boats were called "rum-runners" because they were used to transfer rum from larger vessels waiting outside the territorial waters of the United States. The high speed of the rum-runners enabled them to avoid interception by the Coast Guard. More recently the term "cigarette boat" has replaced the term "rum-runner" when similar boats were used to smuggle cigarettes between Canada and the United States. The present era of cigarette boats, dating from the 1960s, owes much of their design to boats designed for offshore powerboat racing, particularly by designer and builder Donald Aronow. During this period, these boats were used by drug smugglers to transfer drugs across the Caribbean to the United States.

6859989928_427755e261_z.jpg

Cigarette boat 3 by Dakar A, on Flickr

7006107403_838282ae4d_z.jpg

Cigarette boat 2 by Dakar A, on Flickr

7006106423_a257b0eeec_z.jpg

Cigarette boat by Dakar A, on Flickr

The SNOT steup also includes a buoy and a guidepost (Designed to show boat capitans wteher they are in shallow water or not). The wake may be a little high, but I feel it gives a sense of motion.

The boat was made EXCLUSIVELY from parts and stickers from 386 Air Ambulance, which is why it isn't in minifig scale. The scene however, wasn't.

0386-1.jpg

But I enjoyed building this, and hope you enjoy this speedy MOC aswell!

Edited by Phred

Not bad 'Dakar', parts were a little dusty eh ? :wink:

Interesting design using those parts and I like the SNOT ocean there too. :thumbup:

Brick On while racing away from the Fed's ! :grin:

When I saw your first image, I thought to myself that there was something undoubtedly 70's about the boat, then scrolling down it's easy to see why...

I like the boat and the scene, I think making it look "stylized" works, everything doesn't have to be photorealistic. Overall it's a well thought out and complete scene.

It's fun! Would be much sleeker if you didn't restrict your part-use, but the colour scheme is great.

Yeah. :grin: Whenever I look at it, an Ocatn colour scheem comes to mind. I might have to get on that... :devil:

Not bad 'Dakar', parts were a little dusty eh ? :wink:

Interesting design using those parts and I like the SNOT ocean there too. :thumbup:

Brick On while racing away from the Fed's ! :grin:

Yep LT, not only are they dusty, bust they seem to have been chewed parially. Yet I soldiered on and made this guy/girl. I just need to get a bottle of ABSĀ® champagne to christen her. Ideas?

When I saw your first image, I thought to myself that there was something undoubtedly 70's about the boat, then scrolling down it's easy to see why...

I like the boat and the scene, I think making it look "stylized" works, everything doesn't have to be photorealistic. Overall it's a well thought out and complete scene.

Hopefully it's just the parts, and the design, because I wasn't in existence in the 70's... :look:

Thanks for the comments and knid words!

Dakar out. :grin::hmpf: