Legonardo

WIP H.M.S Gladiator

UPDATE(see 10th post for more pics)

7072759847_0830dba873_c.jpg

Hello classic pirates!

Last year I began constructing a brigateen for the royal navy

6331229404_1a37345227_z.jpg

6331228638_00eea15e23_z.jpg

However this was destroyed to make space (and bricks) for the guilds of historica. for some reason I can't focus on the building of the third challenge and decided it was time for a break, so 2 days ago I started re-building the HMS Gladiator

7004847753_5720b5250f_c.jpg

7004848605_a40c06d284_c.jpg

6858732054_3bfaea2ce3_c.jpg

UPDATE:

7009981323_6f350daefa_c.jpg

7009981553_934572a9f2_c.jpg

7009981973_5ec981aa64_c.jpg

7009982021_26f206a107_c.jpg

I still have to put windows in.

7009981607_6128d0caf4_c.jpg

edited bow

7009981153_934e331b77_c.jpg

now to start the other side (inside's a total mess), finish the deck and start rigging! I hope to have it finished within a fortnight, I hope that's not unrealistic, as I might enter this in the jolly roger III contest which means I'll need to build a small pirate ship too!

Sorry about the image quality, for now they are only up for advice.

For 2 4 days I think I've done all right, but there is something that bugs me about it, not sure what, so I am asking for feedback from the experts. I want this to be accurate to the era of ships. It won't have an interior as my parts are limited. The other thing I would like is possibly a sail/rigging plan for a brig of the 18th century. Please post soonish as I want this done by the second week of April so I can get cracking on challenge 3!

I know I am asking a fair bit but it would be very much appreciated if you could.

=Legonardo=

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Hello there! This is already a great ship. I would suggest reducing the curve a bit as it is a wee bit steep for a ship of the size of a brig. The forecastle of the ship should also be flattened and closed towards the jib boom so that a completely walkable weatherdeck would be the result. A I would also reduce the headrail and bring it more in line with the ship's curve. A beakhead of an 18th. century British sloop-of-war would also normally not be ornamented or have a figurehead (at least not of that size). As it is now there seems to be a little "peak" in the curve.

As for the rigging: The basic rigging layout can be found here. When you have constructed the masts in their final configuration, make another picture and post it. The rigging of a sloop-of-war is very individual so we might be able to give better advice then.

Hope that helped!

Hello, short comment. The shape is lovely, the colours great, the ship looks really nice, however the stern isn't so good (I also have problems making the stern :pir_laugh2:) I don't think the windows are the best choice. If you look on the tutorials here there is a great tutorial on how to build a Frigate, that's really helpful :pir-classic:

From what I see so far it is looking very good. I think you are on your way to building a fantastic ship! :pir-sweet:

Great ship already! I agree with Horry on everything but the curve; I think it's perfect, not to big at all if you compare it to plans of say the HMS Speedy. I'm only not sure if she needs such a large tumblehome (although part of it is that she's too tall and thus looks like a larger ship thus needing tumblehome): and I would build a more curved front, I don't think ships this small had a head. Hope that helps.

First of all: Great ship! Nice color scheme and a good shape. :thumbup:

But I also have to agree with halfpenguinhalflego here. The stern doesn't look too well, especially the windows. It looks too dark on the back.

But overall great ship so far, looking forward to see the final product.

Thank you for your feedback, glad you like it

update on first post

Horry I think I have a sail plan in mind, would you know of any rigging plans? when I built Athena I just random ly tied rope from one area to another, and I would this time like to make it realistic and accuratly

thanks

=Legonardo=

Well for the rigging it depends on the number of sails you want.

3 on each mast would be pretty reasonable, just like the Lady Washington. This one has 4 sails.

Important things to notice are how the spanker sail yard is placed just below the main "crow's nest", and the main mast (closest tot the stern) has no sail on the main yard (the one on the bottom).

For the bow you could look at this or this ship in lego, or google on brig Amity or Niagara.

Good luck!

I agree whit everyone else that the stern is needing total reworking IMO. Also a couple of gunports 2 or 3 on the sides wouldnt be bad idea. Also, if you want to, you can always search some pictures from google from Pirates of the Burning sea's Lexington Brig wih is a grea model of the brig around 1680-1720 or so.

Captain Becker

Thanks everyone, this has really helped.

the sail plan will be similar to that of the lady washington, just without the main staysail, the fore topmast staysail and the sprit sail.

I was thinking about adding studdin sails but i have put that aside.

I am happy with the bow now, the original design was similar to what Admiral Croissant showed me, but I prefer this. if brigs didn't have this please inform me but I have seen this on many ships before and I like it a lot

I too would love to upgrade the stern but am not sure how. I would love to have suggestions from you but bear in mind that my parts are limited.

thanks

=Legonardo=

Update:

7072759847_0830dba873_c.jpg

7072762013_1e3763690e_c.jpg

6926683926_cea987bb16_c.jpg

6926681570_2644812894_c.jpg

6926680660_af1e862882_c.jpg

6926679024_a66cdb7d14_c.jpg

once again sorry for the image quality, in the background you can see our wonderfull new zealand weather

C&C welcome and appreciated!