Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. Dan

Review: 6245 Harbor Sentry

Hey all!

I was surfing the Master Pirates Index set reviews and did not see an entry for this set. After some searching, I still couldn't find it!

I decided to make my first review of anything here on eurobricks let alone Classic Pirates.

Captain Dan is making an appearance himself for an inspection of his men and their equipment! (Corny, I know but I am pretty proud of my new upcoming sigfig!)

Enjoy!

Set: 6245 Harbor Sentry

Year: 1990

Pieces: 24

MSRP: $4.25 according to Peeron.com

6994234539_7a75a02ee3.jpg

6245 Harbor Sentry by DanSZ151, on Flickr

Instructions

6848097116_aa3821817d.jpg

DSCF1001 by DanSZ151, on Flickr

Back Page

6848110082_e8b250f081.jpg

Captain Dan makes his first appearance making sure his crew is in tip top shape and prepared for battle at any time! :jollyroger:

6994221407_907a6ab8df.jpg

DSCF1002 by DanSZ151, on Flickr

Figure

6848103920_bbdb874907.jpg

Set comes with one cutlass and one pistol. Good for one figure, can't ask for much more.

Oars in the classic brown we all miss so much :pir_bawling:

6994228189_69bbc05a8c.jpg

This is a sign of the good ol' days of lego. This set comes with 6, thats right 6 cannonballs.

We'd be lucky to get 4 on one of today's big pirate ships. These were especially great in the

days when the shooting cannons existed, as the cannonballs got lost all the time.

6848101844_c9b77f3171.jpg

Boat. Great little vessel, perfect for bulk purchases.

6848107064_5ac11bde7b.jpg

Awesome flag comes with it, great styling, very time-relevant for the century Lego was

looking to capture.

6848108542_20905727d9.jpg

Looks like our trusty Sentry has knocked himself out with the cannon while trying

to swivel with it. This is possibly the worst feature of the set. Because of the flag the

cannon really cannot rotate more then 180 degrees, but as for playability I think kids figured

it out.

Score:

Build: 5/10. Simple, most of the parts are accessories, nothing at all going on. Mostly anyone can figure it out

without even opening the instructions

Pieces: 7.5/10. Again, not much going on. Alot of accessories and cannonballs, but the red boat, flag, cannon, etc. for a cheap price is unbeatable.

Figures: 7/10. A pirate would put this at a 10/10, but for the price I don't think anyone can complain.

Price: 10/10. Most of us back in the day could get this with a week's allowance or selling lemonade one summer day. Awesome parts and figure at a great price. A set like this today would be about $7.99 despite the 24 piece count.

Playability: 6/10. Can't do much more but float around and shoot cannonballs at the dog without a pirate.

This is where I am overriding my scoring system. This set would really be a 35.5/50, but I am going to bypass that.

This set is a 10/10, all the way. I love it. You get a boat, Imperial soldier, gun, cutlass, cannon, and tons of ammo. You can't beat it. Three or four of these would be awesome to compliment the ElDorado Fortress or take on Redbeard in battle.

This set, in my opinion, was at the forefront of the Golden Age of Lego with the releases of classic pirates. Great price, tons of playability when combined with any of the impulse pirate sets.

I recommend this set to anyone who can get their hands on at least one. Once you have one and your armada of soldiers begins to grow, you will understand why it is a good investment, especially considering on eBay this set doesn't sell for too much.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed!

Edited by Cpt. Dan

I was surfing the Master Pirates Index set reviews and did not see an entry for this set. After some searching, I still couldn't find it!

There was one already actually. :wink:

Thanks for the review.

I'll have to review the index and update it with both of these.

thanks for this review. Very well written and some nice pics.

Just one thing: The cannon in these pics isn't the original cannon, is it?

If not, where did that cannon come from? I ask because when buying a bulk lot off ebay once one of these appeared with it, and I had no idea which set it was from!

Very nice review. I remember being a tiny child and wanting this set - I think it went out of production before I managed to gather enough pocket money together though! I like the fact that they gave the sentry a different hat to other bluecoats of the time in that it wasn't a tricorn or a shako! that was a nice touch!

Thanks for the review! :jollyroger:

I would've preferred a regular infantry soldier to make army building with this set easier, but otherwise it's perfect.

If not, where did that cannon come from?

The decorated cannons were created exclusively for US releases of sets, because of some toy safety laws. I don't know why they changed their mind between then and 2009 though.

Neat little review 'Cpt Dan' :pir-classic: , but dare I say that canon is actually....well maybe MB looking ! :pir-sick:

I can promise it's not!

The cannon came from a bag I had mixed with Wild West and Pirates.

The reason they do not appear like that in other sets is because in the pictures, they are placed face down hiding the design. I assure you it is 100% Lego.

It most likely came from Fort Legoredo to be completely honest.

I do not buy MB :pirate_skel1:

Here is a link to the part in case anyone was curious.

Cannon

Looks like a US release