Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

Antique Bed

Hi all!

Some of you might have already noticed that I am obsessed with building furniture. Here is another one. C&C is welcome, especially since I am not 100% satisfied with it yet.

100_3070.jpg

100_3069.jpg

I love using headlight bricks with bars :sweet:

Looks good, but yes some blankets and pillows would finalize it :classic:

Looks great! I would add a blanket or something for a bit of color away from brown.

Looks good, but yes some blankets and pillows would finalize it :classic:

Thanks guys!

So here you go, I added some blankets and pillows to add some color.

100_3074.jpg

I like it a lot, but the head of the bed looks a bit too thick to me. The foot of the bed looks great. I also like the headlights with the 1x1 round plates on them; nice look.

I have to agree with NiceMarmot, I think the proportions are slightly wrong if you're building it to Minifig scale. If you think of a stud as being 1ft (30cm) then a single bed would be 6studs by 3studs, a double bed 6studs by 5studs. You need to squeeze the detail into that sort of space for it to look right.

Try lying a minifig on it. How does the model look in proportion to the minifig?

I did lay a minifig in there and the length and width of the bed are totally fine. I agree that the head of the bed is a too thick though. Unfortunately it is not as simple as just removing a layer. I will try to rebuild that part and make the head of the bed more thin.

Thank you guys for your constructive criticism as it helps me becoming a better builder. I am always open to suggestions to improve my works!

I made some modifications based on your comments:

100_3079.jpg

100_3082.jpg

You can see Lord Mephisto of Woodward, Avalonia (my soon to be sigfig for GoH) using that bed.

I made some modifications based on your comments:

Much better, the proportions are getting there. Personally I think the body of the bed is half a stud too long and I think with a bit of the ingenuity that you've already demonstrated you could loose that 2x4 plate in the headboard. The couple the loss of the that plate with the loss of a stud from the length of the bed and the length will be about right.

If you're going to put the white/green sheets on then I think you should dispense with the upper layer of brown tiles. It's all getting a bit too thick with both the brown tiles and the two layers of sheets.

Finally I think the proportions are wrong on the footboard. The use of telescopes is taking the footboard to shoulder height which is the equivalent of 4' or 1.3m tall. I appreciate that they achieve a nice spindle effect but they're making it too tall.

Good luck! I personally find trying to get detail into the interiors one of the trickiest parts of building MOC's, despite all my comments I think you're doing a good job of getting a lot of detail into such a small space.

Good luck! I personally find trying to get detail into the interiors one of the trickiest parts of building MOC's, despite all my comments I think you're doing a good job of getting a lot of detail into such a small space.

Thanks!

I really appreciate your honest criticism. It helps a lot to get things done better.

I totally agree with you on the difficulty of building detailed interiors. I often wish that the normal minifigs would be 20-30% larger, that would make it much easier. Then on the other hand I am currently trying to add a interior to a WIP MOC House and even when I try to keep things as small as possible I still feel like I have no space for it.

Building a MOC House that looks good from the outside and has a nice, detailed interior seems to be one of the biggest challenges to me. On the other hand it is much fun to mess around with different approaches and ideas.

ur bed is very "poisonous" to someone who is still working. moreover it has just rained here (in Singapore)! makes me want to sleep... :laugh:

nice bed. i thought the adding of some colours i.e. the blanket and pillows has soften the wooden bed which is good.