L@go

MOC/MOD: Fifteen New Vehicles!

indexed.gif V-LP-9E & V-LP-9F, V-LV-64D to V-LV-66D

Fellow Eurobrickers,

after coming out of my dark ages a few years ago (mainly thanks to the modular buildings), I've built a few modulars, bought a heap of sets, acquired a (very expensive) Statue of Liberty... but what I've mainly been up to with our favourite bricks is building cars. I've always been very fond of cars, and back when I played with Lego as a kid, building cars was what I was mainly up to.

I've presented some MOCs, and some modified versions of other people's designs, earlier - here (four), here (eight), here (five) and here (eight vehicles) - but this time, I've been building for a while, and work and stuff has kept me from taking pictures of my new builds and editing them properly. You may have seem them leak onto Flickr over time, but here they are all at once - all fifteen of them.

So, let's get started!

1) The Modern 6651.

Let me begin with the continuation of a project I started off with a modern-scaled version of the classic set #6624, the red delivery van. Here's another variation on the same theme, a modern version of set #6651, the mail van.

6979541707_460871dfaa_z.jpg

I've stayed true to the original yellow and red colour scheme, and also kept the proportions - the old one was 4 by 10 studs, so the new one is 6 by 14 studs.

6833416676_ef72043fb0_z.jpg

The original had two rear doors, so I knew this one needed to have the same, and I found the solution in some very old doors from the '70s. I've also given it a modernised mailman and plenty of room for letters and parcels in the back.

6833416232_d909d5cfee_z.jpg

Also worth mentioning: I was astonished to find an original, unused sticker sheet from this set for sale on BrickLink. So I ordered it, all the way from New Zealand, and applied the stickers. The glue is still just as good as when it was new - 30 years ago, in 1982!

2) The Modern 6632.

This is my modern version of set #6632, the police pickup truck. I've added some blue details to make it fit better with the police cars Lego makes these days. The stickers I've used also helps in that respect - they're from set #4440, the forest police station.

6914027111_d938a9027e_z.jpg

6914027821_ae03f877bd_z.jpg

On the cargo bed there's a crate with handcuffs, plus some riot gear from BrickForge. I've also included the walkie-talkie and the signal paddle from the original set (I've later replaced the light bluish grey one with the proper red one...).

3) The Police Command Car.

Moving on to another police car, which I did mention in another one of my threads, about my modular bank, but I thought I'd present it properly here, as I haven't before.

6649693267_5f2e5a953e_z.jpg

6649693903_9f90ccbc2c_z.jpg

It's inspired by the Volvo XC70 and cars like it, with slightly higher ground clearance.

4) The Tine Truck.

I guess you could see this as a modern version of set #1029, the milk delivery truck, but I built it just because I had some original stickers from that set floating around. And as I'm Norwegian - like Tine - it made sense to try my hand at something like this, so I got some inspiration from a real Tine truck that I found online, and mixed that together with a cabin heavily inspired by Thomas Selander's wonderful Mercedes trucks (there are some great pictures in this Flickr album):

6983769223_864667d07c_z.jpg

6837648778_daa19752ef_z.jpg

The reverse engineering process to get the front just right was a lot of fun. For the beauty shot, I added a BrickForge cow:

6983770779_cd6a4a39c2_z.jpg

5) The Speedster.

This is really a lower, sleeker version of my earlier Targa - obviously inspired by a certain German sports car. The front end utilises the new 2x4x2 curved slope.

6798935760_9502977b34_z.jpg

6945048099_db2204e436_z.jpg

For the rear end, I used four of the new curved double slopes. I chose grey as it's the closest I could get to silver - which is the proper colour for German sports cars. The hair piece from the CMF sleepyhead seemed like a perfect choice to show what driving a convertible will do to your hair (I used to own one)... :)

6) The Bumble Bee.

I'm quite happy with this one - it's nothing special, really, but I really like the yellow/black colour scheme. I also like the front indicator lights.

6900411813_fb0c6d2065_z.jpg

6900408981_29d6410530_z.jpg

The stickers on the doors reveal the fact that the car belongs to the owner of Brick Street Customs - who doesn't really seem to be too happy with it.

7) The Interceptor.

The inspiration for this came after seeing Flickr user DoktorZapp's police Interceptor, which he posted for a LUGNuts challenge in November - I thought I'd have a go at interpreting the classic Jensen Interceptor myself:

6974759791_f7bc76c97c_z.jpg

6974758835_daeac715e1_z.jpg

I knew I'd need some chrome details for this, so I ordered a few custom-made pieces from BL stores ChromeBricks and Chrome Block City. I think it worked out alright, especially with a bit of SNOTwork for the rear section. And yes, I know I'm two headlights short, but there's really no way to put four headlamps on a four-wide car... :)

8) Baby Blue.

I originally wanted to build something like a modern pink Cadillac (not a real Caddy, but something like a Caddy - big, glitzy, a bit over-the-top), but I ran out of options with the limited parts selection. So it ended up being medium blue instead, which works almost as well.

6839997754_1effe9d051_z.jpg

6986118333_b77d917324_z.jpg

My favourite feature here is the use of BrickForge's Signal Light pieces as taillights, coupled with a pair of chromed 1x1 tooth plates. I also took a pair of scissors to some official Lego chrome stickers, to extend the chrome silver stripe all along the side of the car.

9) The World Rally Car.

This is a modern interpretation of set #6634, hence the colour scheme. All stickers are original Lego stickers.

6889643473_ae222ae9fa_z.jpg

6889645607_87320809e1_z.jpg

I was also inspired by Flickr user .Tromas' wonderful rally cars - this folder is really worth a look!

10) The Ute.

An attempt to build an Australian-style sporty pickup, which turned into a roadster as I went along. I like the colour scheme for this one - blue and orange go very well together.

6825178478_c8c34cf084_z.jpg

6971300975_5af07369cb_z.jpg

Using this ute like this may produce unwanted results, though - I'm not sure those sheep will still be there when the farmer arrives back home.

11) The Ace of Spades.

From one pickup to another, and the next four vehicles are all hot rods.

6796371648_826447cb33_z.jpg

This particular one was built for LUGNuts' "52 Pick Up" challenge on Flickr, where all builds had to have something to do with card games - my take on that is that this is a) a pickup, and...

6796373088_04a09492c7_z.jpg

b) the guy who owns it is called the Ace of Spades, because that's what he sells. Ha ha ha. I know it's dry. Joking aside, though, in my opinion this is probably one of the best cars I've built thus far. Very happy with it.

6796371930_cd73285803_z.jpg

12) The TinyRod.

This isn't my design, I picked it up from Flickr user NaNeto, and built my own version because I thought it was cute.

6926419967_5cf81392c3_z.jpg

6780300362_f88ba1c8f6_z.jpg

I've changed the colour, added a couple of stickers, rearranged the rear end a bit, and given it a proper name *snigger*...

13) The WoodRod.

Another funny name... the brown parts on this one are supposed to be wooden, so that's where the name comes from. The general idea was to use that new mudguard, but I needed two attempts before I managed to get the front end right. Now it's aggressive enough, with thouse tilted slopes, and works quite well.

6946992263_c9ec94e091_z.jpg

6946996515_685183b62c_z.jpg

I was more happy with the rear. The taillights are hidden behind horizontal slats.

14) Blue Fury.

Another one I'm very happy with - this is an attempt at building a minifig-scale version of a classic set that sits proudly on my shelf, #5541 (or #10151). The proportions are slightly off - it's a bit too long and low - but the general idea is still the same:

6775778200_aca2e523d5_z.jpg

6921895337_5177a04ce2_z.jpg

I added some chrome and a couple of stickers, and ended up with this. And I thought it'd be nice to give it a female driver - a female mechanic, really, one who's not afraid to get her hands (or face) dirty:

6775779828_0f16b97e20_z.jpg

15) Venom GT-E.

Finally, here's a duo that I built to go along with my earlier Supercar, which I was lucky enough to have picked up by The Brothers Brick. The idea is that these two are plug-in hybrid supercars (that's where the E in GT-E comes from).

6834768818_bbb42fbf93_z.jpg

6834770188_6277544ff2_z.jpg

6980898329_eaf74fb419_z.jpg

The drivers are the Stig's two environmentally friendly cousins. They were persuaded into opening their visors for this photoshoot, but they weren't very happy about it:

6980898937_daa1e9aa77_z.jpg

And there you go! You can find a whole lot more pictures in these two folders on Flickr: Cars and Trucks and vans.

I hope you've liked what you've seen - but some constructive criticism is always welcome :)

Excellent work again from you 'L@go', the post van :thumbup: and those Venom GT-E's....oh, they are to die for ! :wub:

Keep them coming 'L@go' ! :excited:

I like the Hot-rod MT minifig (scaled down very nicely :cry_happy: ), as well as the light blue luxury car. Nice use of chrome pieces throughout the vehicles!

This is excellent. I love all of them. They're very beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Another awesome set of vehicles 'L@go'. Great job updating the Tine milk truck. The UTE reminds me of an older episode of Top Gear BBC, very cool. And the Rods, Rally and Supercars, really stand out for me, but great job on all! I can't wait to see your next installment default_classic.gif

These are fine ones! I especially like the more normal cars, like the truck and the police cars,

but the others are also good!

Thanks for the kind words, guys, I really appreciate it. And as before, it's so much fun to hear how you pick different favourites among them - it just goes to show that taste really differs!

Nice use of chrome pieces throughout the vehicles!

Thanks - I try not to go over the top with it, but it's the kind of detail that can get a car to a new level, if used correctly.

I can't wait to see your next installment default_classic.gif

Thank you - it might be a while, I need to find some money first :)

The Blue Fury and Ace of Spades are exceptional. Great job!

Thanks - those two are probably my favourites as well.

Edited by L@go

I really love all these, from the classic mail van, to the minifig sized 5541. The super cars and hot rods are also very nice.

I love the small one. The recreation of the Tine truck is also very cool.

All in all, great mocs, all 15 of them. :classic:

Blue Brick

Edited by The Blue Brick

This is the kind of new topic that I love to find! Great work all around, but my favorites are the Milk Truck (which has a fantastic level of detail), the Bumble Bee, and Blue Fury. On that last one, I just can't believe you crammed that much detail into such a small size. I keep looking at it thinking it must be bigger than it is, but then I count the studs and it's not!

Edited by meyerc13

(not a real Caddy, but something like a Caddy - big, glitzy, a bit over-the-top),

Nice to know that I'm the cause for a clarification note! :laugh:

These are all amazing L@go! If only I had the (slightly) deep pockets like you, I might be able to do more automotive MOCs. :cry_sad: I love all of these, especially the GT-E's, the blue hot rod (Reminds me of a Bugatti type-33), and the Post and Police trucks! Could we get some breakdown shots of how you did the front of your Tine truck? I personally am stumped!

Great work, and keep em' coming!

Dakar

Just had a brilliant idea! You should make a MGA or MGB next! Go for a british speedster!

Edited by Dakar A

Wow, what a line up! Great builds, I have to agree, the Ace of Spades car is one of the best cars you've built. Which fig do his pants come from? Very cool cars and all kinds of inspiration here.

Thanks again, guys. I have a surprise for you, but let me respond first:

(I really need more experience building cars myself...)

Go for it! If you don't try, you won't magically get better at it :) I think most of the cars in this batch are better than the first ones I posted more than a year ago - and it's just down to experimenting.

This is the kind of new topic that I love to find! Great work all around, but my favorites are the Milk Truck (which has a fantastic level of detail), the Bumble Bee, and Blue Fury. On that last one, I just can't believe you crammed that much detail into such a small size. I keep looking at it thinking it must be bigger than it is, but then I count the studs and it's not!

Thanks a lot! Keep on reading if you liked the Bumble Bee!

L@GO, I love your vehicles, and your MOC-minifigs are consistently the best I've seen.

Thank you, I very much enjoy putting them together.

If only I had the (slightly) deep pockets like you, I might be able to do more automotive MOCs. :cry_sad: I love all of these, especially the GT-E's, the blue hot rod (Reminds me of a Bugatti type-33), and the Post and Police trucks! Could we get some breakdown shots of how you did the front of your Tine truck? I personally am stumped!

The main reason I went back to building cars was that they're less parts-consuming than modular buildings, and therefore cheaper to build. My pockets aren't that deep - currently they're actually awfully shallow (due mainly to a car, actually - I bought a new one before I sold my old one, and now I can't get rid of it...). As for the breakdown - I built this while I studied photos of Thomas Selander's trucks, so I'm sure you can do the same. But I'll see if I get the time to post a couple of shots :)

Wow, what a line up! Great builds, I have to agree, the Ace of Spades car is one of the best cars you've built. Which fig do his pants come from? Very cool cars and all kinds of inspiration here.

Thanks - the pants are from the Skater Girl in CMF series 6.

Now, some people have asked for instructions for my cars before (it seems it's an inevitable question once you build something that people enjoy, but I guess it's really a kind of compliment). Making instructions is a difficult process, or at least time-consuming, but I thought I'd have a go at finding out just how time-consuming. So I broke down one of my simplest models in MLCad and created step-by-step images. This took me an hour, give or take, and the more intricate the model is, the longer it's going to take...

I don't even know if this is of interest, but my Bumble Bee instructions are hereby public - free of charge. I'd just like a mention if you replicate it (hopefully in different colours).

Picture is link to the whole set on Flickr.

6842631458_a19e9fc509_z.jpg

Another fantastic batch of vehicles L@go! I've probably seen them all on Flickr already (and commented on some of them) but like this they form quite a Lego motor show in its own right. If I were a minifig I'd visit it!

Let me say first that IMHO this assortment and presentation of vehicles is top-notch at this scale in all aspects you can imagine - design (especially color design), building techniques and, not least, photography and lighting.

Since there are so many it's impossible to comment on all of them so I'd like to choose three vehicles which are probably my fav favs here.

1) Jensen Interceptor

A real big like, I especially love its silhouette. It's beefy and elegant at the same time. In spite of all those different angles and slopes and all the SNOT-work the overall shape is fantastic. The color combination between the two different shades of blue works very well IMHO, same for the chrome.

2) Blue Fury

Another blue one. I like it even better than the original - it's very sleek and low. The grille sits nicely behind the front axle which adds to the impression of the vehicle as something very dynamic, same for the broader rear end.

3) Tine Truck

In spite of its being a truck it's very elegant, too. The color design is fantastic IMHO - if this was a set I'd instantly buy it. I also like the way you work with Thomas Selander's cab design and integrate it into something new and very stylish. Why not use an already existing design that can't be improved (or at least I can't think of it, too)? Concerning the box one might think of it as 7 studs wide - but I am sure there is a reason why you kept it this way. It's great anyway.

Looking forward to the next batch of fantastic cars!

Thanks, ER0L, much appreciated, especially that praise about "all aspects you can imagine".

The color combination between the two different shades of blue works very well IMHO, same for the chrome.

I keep wondering which two different shades of blue it is you're seeing? Because the whole car is regular blue :)

I keep wondering which two different shades of blue it is you're seeing? Because the whole car is regular blue :)

Just blinded by all this shininess :wink: No, I was talking about the blue and the trans blue parts. I thought this was rather an unusual combination (but maybe only because I know so few sets). Of course there are the cop cars, but then there's always some white in it, too.

Ah, I see. I guess I didn't think of it as unusual - I've owned at least two sets that have that combination:

1489-1.jpg

6661-1.gif

- but I can see you're right, normally when the trans-light blue windows are used, there are some white accents involved.

I love these vehicles! I wish i could make cars like this on my own. :classic: I like how you used some of the old style pieces like the tires.

Edited by Rail Co

Great job on all of these MOCs. :wub:

They were a pleasure to index.

I think my favorite of these vehicles is the Blue Fury. That is a great idea to create a MF version of a wonderful set. :thumbup:

6921895337_5177a04ce2_z.jpg

Thanks, Phred! It's a pleasure to please the Regulator :)

Damn, all those sweet cars are aaaaalmost enough to get me into 4-wides :laugh:

The chrome pieces add a some vintage appeal. I miss chrome bumpers, you could ram things and not take any damage, now everything is designed to crumple up, blegh. What's the point in having a bumper if you can't bump anything!? :wacko:

(And I guess now we know what two vehicles you'll be modernizing next :classic: )

The Blue Fury is just pure win! :laugh:

Although I would try to swap the pins that hold the wheels to one color, or see if you can hide them somehow.

Many, many brilliant vehicles here! I always look out for your work. I like some others really like the blue fury, probably because I own the original and loved it then. Its a very good smaller scale version. Keep em coming! :classic: