Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

Architecture Contest: Milwaukee Art Museum

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all, here is my entry for the Architecture contest: the Milwaukee Art Museum.

6847513812_f071ee14fe_z.jpg

milwaukee_art_museum15.jpg

Category: Architecture

Architect: Santiago Calatrava

Wikipedia

Flickr Gallery

With the MAM being very symbolic of my hometown, it was an obvious choice to build this one for the contest. It was somewhat difficult to come up with a solution for the wings, but I think the result was pretty good for this scale.

6847510190_2f5c5b396f_z.jpg

6993634601_fbe6fa0ffd_z.jpg

6993635685_5cf6e3426c_z.jpg

Feel free to look at more pictures in the Flickr gallery (includes WIP shots). Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

As soon as I saw your model, I thought, "Oh, that has to be a Calatrava." :laugh: So you're definitely on the right track! Maybe you could use some bar pieces to capture the skeletal sort of look?

Oh my goodness, that's a freaking type of building you've choosen! But somehow you really managed to let your LEGO-work look like the original... I like it very much. Even as a WIP. :classic:

Having been there numerous times and it being a symbol of my hometown as well, I love it. :wub: The shaping is very challenging, but I think you pulled it off really well. Great work, JimB! :thumbup:

I really was doubting if anybody would dare to recreate a building of Calatrava, when this contest started. (Same goes for Gaudí)

Those organic shapes are a pain to recreate in Lego and especially on this scale. But, as Tragic Banjo said, this one's instantly recognizable!

You might add some plates (or tiles, but I don't think that's possible) underneath the white 1xX plates, to make a fuller wing on top.. But it's already very good!

Yeah!

Great WIP! IF this is the competition, I almost feel put out, doing something from the Napoleonic wars! Great Wip, blue background really brings it out!

Dakar

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I've worked on it a bit and added new pictures to the first post. I have no plans to revise it further as of now, but I may change my mind soon enough. :grin:

6847513812_f071ee14fe_z.jpg

Maybe you could use some bar pieces to capture the skeletal sort of look?

I considered carefully which ones I could use and tried a few things out, but at this scale it's kind of hard to integrate that kind of detail. The "stern" was just too narrow. But thank you for the suggestion, it was at least worth a try.

Having been there numerous times and it being a symbol of my hometown as well, I love it. :wub: The shaping is very challenging, but I think you pulled it off really well. Great work, JimB! :thumbup:

Glad to see a fellow Wisconsinite's approval. :sweet:

You might add some plates (or tiles, but I don't think that's possible) underneath the white 1xX plates, to make a fuller wing on top.. But it's already very good!

I did try that, but it doesn't work too well with the clips holding the tiles. Also I wanted a more skeletal look, but thank you for the suggestion anyway, it really helps to see things from others' perspectives. :classic:

I love the museum, my hometown was Milwaukee too and I've been there before. It is very realistic for a building that hard to replicate. What you have done with the wings are great but I think they could be a little bit better. Everything else is great though.

Thanks for your comment, Legowraith. :classic: Would you have any specific idea on how to make the wings better? I'm thinking about making a full-fledged MOC after the contest concludes, of an improved MAM and the surrounding area.