Hinckley

LEGO Superheroes 2012 Rumours & Discussion

WHY SO MANY EXCLUSIVES!!! I love that black spidey and that Bizarro, but I'll clearly won't be able to secure them... :cry_sad:

:hmpf_bad: Make these figs available for everyone, Lego. :thumbdown:

Edit: Looks like the new Batman fig will have the same pattern as the 2011 Comic-Con exclusives, only in dark gray. SWEEEET! :cry_happy:

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Aside from evil auction sites, is there a place that might be selling the SDCC figures?

It's funny that places like TRU offer Hasbro, NECA, and others' SDCC exclusives online. Even higher end collectibles like Sideshow Collectibles and Gentle Giant offer their SDCC stuff online (granted for a very limited time in some cases) for people who can't make the con, but we can't get minifigures offered on the Lego site.

Aside from evil auction sites, is there a place that might be selling the SDCC figures?

It's funny that places like TRU offer Hasbro, NECA, and others' SDCC exclusives online. Even higher end collectibles like Sideshow Collectibles and Gentle Giant offer their SDCC stuff online (granted for a very limited time in some cases) for people who can't make the con, but we can't get minifigures offered on the Lego site.

Those figures are VERY limited though, only 1000 of each I think.

Those figures are VERY limited though, only 1000 of each I think.

The mass retail stuff, like Hasbro and NECA usually have high edition sizes similiar to their mass market releases. Sideshow and Gentle Giant can have editions sizes of around 1,000+. Either way, since Lego minifigures are such a small product and the maunfacturing costs on a single minifigure are alot lower than what you'd find with a high-end item, there's no reason why Lego couldn't at least offer some on their site. Even a run of say, 3,000 at $15 a piece would sell-out. Slap "SDCC Exclusive" on the label and watch them fly.

The mass retail stuff, like Hasbro and NECA usually have high edition sizes similiar to their mass market releases. Sideshow and Gentle Giant can have editions sizes of around 1,000+. Either way, since Lego minifigures are such a small product and the maunfacturing costs on a single minifigure are alot lower than what you'd find with a high-end item, there's no reason why Lego couldn't at least offer some on their site. Even a run of say, 3,000 at $15 a piece would sell-out. Slap "SDCC Exclusive" on the label and watch them fly.

They could, but thats not the point of exclusives. They are like my family getting me a gift for visiting ( or a special occasion). It is intended for no one else but me( or in the cause of SDCC, the visitors there.) And I would never buy that for it's price.

And the chances of you being one of 3000, not likely.

Just my two cents.

It is intended for no one else but me( or in the cause of SDCC, the visitors there.)

Well, Sideshow and Gentle Giant offer what are called "non-attendee" copies of the same exclusives at SDCC to people who can't make it. They've both been doing that for years and I can understand that one may not want a copy of a SDCC exclusive because they may feel as though because they weren't there it doesn't have the same meaning. However, alot of people will never be able to make it to SDCC and should have a fair shot of getting those items without paying so much more on Ebay.

Case in point, Sideshow's 1:6 scale Clone Commander Fox. You can get him at the con for $125 or buy him form the site for $125. Even people who are going to SDCC still buy him online because they don't want to be stuck traveling with that figure on a plane.

As for the part about not being able to get one with an edition size of 3,000, that's easy. Just make the item one per household like Sideshow and Gentle Giant do.

Sure, con exclusives are by definition exclusive, but it's very helpful when a company offers people who can't go an opportunity to purchase those exclusives.

I haven't read through all the recent discussion, so this may have been brought up before, but... is anyone else really disappointed in TLC's selections for next year. 2013 DC is pretty much exactly like 2012: Batman remakes with another hero thrown in. And seriously, of all the heroes to make into minifigs, they chose Aquaman? I can think of well over a dozen DC characters I'd rather see minifigs of before him. And heck, they didn't even bother to give him the beard his most memorable depictions wore. Also, Dark Knight Rises toys? It might be good for AFOLS, but honestly, apart from hard R titles like Watchmen and Kick-megablocks, I can't think of a comic book movie less appropriate for Lego's target audience. Yeah, I know, they made a Tumbler set back in 2008, but that was less of an official tie-in product than it was merely loosely inspired.

Then there's Marvel. TLG's Marvel lineup was by far the superior of the two 2012 Superhero themes, mainly because of the good variety of subjects. But next year looks like its just going to be the official toyline of Ultimate Spiderman with an Avengers set thrown in. And the Ultimate Spiderman characters they chose to make into minfigs are, for the most part, not at all iconic. Honestly, who really wants a Beetle figure before (off the top of my head) Ant Man, Cyclops, Black Panther, The Red Skull, or heck, any of the much more memorable Spiderman villians who have yet to get figures. Oh sure, they have Doctor Doom, but what's the point of having a figure of the Doctor if you're not going to release him alongside the Fantastic Four? And I'll give TLC props for Nick Fury, but why on earth wasn't he released in the first wave?

Now, I realize from a buisness standpoint TLC's selections make some sense, but they're also rather shortsighted IMO, especially in regards to DC. For example, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a Green Lantern set based on the current CN cartoon would probably sell at least as well as anything based on Ultimate Spiderman. And I don't doubt a Hall of Justice or Watchtower with over a half a dozen DC heroes and villians would be a must have to any KFOL who has watched and enjoyed the recent DC cartoons. But instead, we just get another Bane, another Mr Freeze, another Robin, and more Batman minifigures than you can shake a brick at. Is that really the limit of TLC's imagination? :sceptic:

Is Bizarro getting released in an actual set? I really like its minifigure.

Hopefully! I mean the design is exclusive not the character! Future superman set anyone!

2013 DC is pretty much exactly like 2012: Batman remakes with another hero thrown in.

Well, I'm not sure how you can really make that claim without seeing the sets. Ok, so it's a given that there will be an Arkham, but that's hardly 'just a remake.' Look at Harry Potter, the newest Hogwarts Castle was vastly different than the original, and I wouldn't expect different for Arkham. But then for Mr. Freeze, we're not getting another Batcave and I highly doubt another little scooter set, so that's not a remake at all besides for the Freeze figure.

Also, Dark Knight Rises toys? It might be good for AFOLS, but honestly, apart from hard R titles like Watchmen and Kick-megablocks, I can't think of a comic book movie less appropriate for Lego's target audience. Yeah, I know, they made a Tumbler set back in 2008, but that was less of an official tie-in product than it was merely loosely inspired.

Even Nolan's Batman is drastically different than the films you listed. No blatant sex scenes, no excessive, on screen violence. To an adult viewer, the themes of these Batman films are very dark and disturbing, but I'm pretty sure overbearing themes are lost on kids most of the time. They see Batman, and maybe there are some disturbing things, but plenty of LEGO's licenses have that (even Harry Potter 1 and 2 had images to disturb kids).
But next year looks like its just going to be the official toyline of Ultimate Spiderman with an Avengers set thrown in. And the Ultimate Spiderman characters they chose to make into minfigs are, for the most part, not at all iconic. Honestly, who really wants a Beetle figure before (off the top of my head) Ant Man, Cyclops, Black Panther, The Red Skull, or heck, any of the much more memorable Spiderman villians who have yet to get figures.
First of all, this is only the January wave, which is clearly split between Marvel and DC (unlike 2012, when they each got full waves). We know nothing of summer yet, so there will be more Marvel to come that isn't Ultimate Spider-Man. Those characters you list might be more attractive to you, but to kids watching the show, don't you think show characters would appeal to them? I think so. LEGO's paying enough service to the older crowds with Deadpool and Aquaman (to name two) as it is.
Oh sure, they have Doctor Doom, but what's the point of having a figure of the Doctor if you're not going to release him alongside the Fantastic Four? And I'll give TLC props for Nick Fury, but why on earth wasn't he released in the first wave?
Really, so you're complaining that you get cool figures? Why does it matter that TLG didn't release Nick Fury in the summer? Is Doctor Doom actually worthless just because there also aren't Fantastic Four figures? You could say Magneto is worthless without his whole Mutant Brotherhood, or Wolverine without the rest of the X-Men.
But instead, we just get another Bane, another Mr Freeze, another Robin, and more Batman minifigures than you can shake a brick at. Is that really the limit of TLC's imagination? :sceptic:

A Bane which is a movie tie-in and looks nothing like the last Bane, a Mr. Freeze since any kid now is sure to not have a figure that was released last five years ago? Robin I'll give you, but what's wrong with more Batman figures? The summer will be Man of Steel sets, so never fear, they'll be plenty of not Batman.

I guess it's just easy to get on a roll complaining about things.

Oh sure, they have Doctor Doom, but what's the point of having a figure of the Doctor if you're not going to release him alongside the Fantastic Four?

In recent years Dr. Doom has become a bigger villain across the Marvel Universe. He appears in a lot of Spidey comics, as well as a few Daredevil and a couple of Mash-Ups where characters like Thor and Iron-Man fight against Doom. Sure he is the main villain to the Fantastic Four, but he has grown a lot over the years. Stan Lee lists him as his favorite Super Villain he has ever created.

And for the sake of solidifying the argument; he appears in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and that is all the ammo LEGO needs. Besides most 6-12 year old kids will probably only know Doom from that show :classic:

I haven't read through all the recent discussion, so this may have been brought up before, but... is anyone else really disappointed in TLC's selections for next year. 2013 DC is pretty much exactly like 2012: Batman remakes with another hero thrown in. And seriously, of all the heroes to make into minifigs, they chose Aquaman? I can think of well over a dozen DC characters I'd rather see minifigs of before him. And heck, they didn't even bother to give him the beard his most memorable depictions wore. Also, Dark Knight Rises toys? It might be good for AFOLS, but honestly, apart from hard R titles like Watchmen and Kick-megablocks, I can't think of a comic book movie less appropriate for Lego's target audience. Yeah, I know, they made a Tumbler set back in 2008, but that was less of an official tie-in product than it was merely loosely inspired.

Then there's Marvel. TLG's Marvel lineup was by far the superior of the two 2012 Superhero themes, mainly because of the good variety of subjects. But next year looks like its just going to be the official toyline of Ultimate Spiderman with an Avengers set thrown in. And the Ultimate Spiderman characters they chose to make into minfigs are, for the most part, not at all iconic. Honestly, who really wants a Beetle figure before (off the top of my head) Ant Man, Cyclops, Black Panther, The Red Skull, or heck, any of the much more memorable Spiderman villians who have yet to get figures. Oh sure, they have Doctor Doom, but what's the point of having a figure of the Doctor if you're not going to release him alongside the Fantastic Four? And I'll give TLC props for Nick Fury, but why on earth wasn't he released in the first wave?

Now, I realize from a buisness standpoint TLC's selections make some sense, but they're also rather shortsighted IMO, especially in regards to DC. For example, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a Green Lantern set based on the current CN cartoon would probably sell at least as well as anything based on Ultimate Spiderman. And I don't doubt a Hall of Justice or Watchtower with over a half a dozen DC heroes and villians would be a must have to any KFOL who has watched and enjoyed the recent DC cartoons. But instead, we just get another Bane, another Mr Freeze, another Robin, and more Batman minifigures than you can shake a brick at. Is that really the limit of TLC's imagination? :sceptic:

In the case of the D.C. sets, I believe Batman merchandise tends to outsell merchandise based on other DC properties for the most part (he's more iconic than most other DC characters other than possibly Superman), and furthermore Batman makes for good LEGO sets because Batman is a superhero known for using fancy vehicles, various costumes, and nifty gear. Vehicle-based and location-based LEGO sets are the easiest ones to incorporate building potential into, and while the Green Lantern cartoon might give Green Lantern characters a bit more recognition among young builders, it's not enough to make it worthwhile for TLG to reduce the size of the Batman wave.

MOCists may be limited only by their imaginations, but TLG has other limitations in what is practical for them to produce. They must stick to what is most familiar to potential buyers, which depends partly on what is currently most relevant in pop culture. With an in-house theme they can afford to branch out and take risks, but with a licensed theme if they don't stick with what has proven successful, then they might have weaker sales, which could lead to a risk of the license not being renewed.

In recent years Dr. Doom has become a bigger villain across the Marvel Universe. He appears in a lot of Spidey comics, as well as a few Daredevil and a couple of Mash-Ups where characters like Thor and Iron-Man fight against Doom. Sure he is the main villain to the Fantastic Four, but he has grown a lot over the years. Stan Lee lists him as his favorite Super Villain he has ever created.

And for the sake of solidifying the argument; he appears in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and that is all the ammo LEGO needs. Besides most 6-12 year old kids will probably only know Doom from that show :classic:

And looking at some spiderman stuff, him and the F4 have lots of crossovers. More so in older stuff, but still.

My wife and I were lucky enough to win the exclusive Phoenix and Black Spider-man minifigs at SDCC. Phoenix is absolutely stunning. Spider-man is nice too but I would have preferred Bizarro...not that I'm complaining. I did, after all, come away with two extremely rare minifigs. Someone at the LEGO booth offered me $40 for each but I knew better. These are already going for up to $300 a piece on eBay, though I have no intention of selling.

Oh gosh my Ultimate Spider-Man set has shipped and is expected to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait. :drool:

Oh, and I will post the video review for the set here once I get it.

Dr. Doom is a main villain of the Spider Man tv show. It seems that the next marvel sets will focus on it. (Nick Fury and Nova appear on it too).

Oh gosh my Ultimate Spider-Man set has shipped and is expected to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait. :drool:

Oh, and I will post the video review for the set here once I get it.

When did you get your shipping confirmation? I ordered mine Saturday morning and still haven't received shipping notification. It is still listed as processing :hmpf_bad:

When did you get your shipping confirmation? I ordered mine Saturday morning and still haven't received shipping notification. It is still listed as processing :hmpf_bad:

I got the confirmation last night.

The Spider-man set is great! Just finished putting it together. Easily better than most of the Avenger sets. :classic:

I find that hard to believe that it's better than the Avengers sets...

I find that hard to believe that it's better than the Avengers sets...

Well it has 3 exclusive, at this point, minifigures, a great price, a good number of pieces, and a good number of cool and useful pieces.

It may be an opinion that it is better than most Avengers sets, but I would put this one over Cap's motorcycle, Hulk's Helicarrier (since we pretty much paid $50 for the Hulk), and the SHIELD truck one since the only exclusive was the Iron Man suit and that truck just was nice but not great. I would say that this is in the same ball park as Wolverine's Chopper Showdown set. Great figs, great price, and good pieces :thumbup:

Edited by Spider-Man