Hinckley

LEGO Superheroes 2012 Rumours & Discussion

I didn't notice that Wonder Woman's was, but I did notice that the "Gotham Girls" were. It is disappointing I think, but not as bad as Bruce and Superman being nearly identical.

I hope that the TDKR sets are more in the style of TDK sets, because I don't really like the movie's Bane and I don't want multiples of him, if any. TDKR Catwoman could be useful though. I'd like vehicles based on the movie, but pitted against different villains who haven't appeared yet (like Penguin and Scarecrow) in original scenes (or at least remakes, wouldn't it be great if Scarecrow got a blimp this time?).

I'm all in for minifigures based on the movies, a movie scarecrow would be nice!

Are you guys for real? You're complaining about the similarities of mouths? *huh*

As far as I can tell, Lego mouths have always been pretty much the same, especially female ones, so obviously they're gonna be similar, but with the different color, different upper lip to lower lip proportions, and the different detail around the mouth, they're different enough for me.

I agree with Superficial that the issue of the Superman/Bruce Wayne twins is much more concerning.

Are you guys for real? You're complaining about the similarities of mouths? *huh*

As far as I can tell, Lego mouths have always been pretty much the same, especially female ones, so obviously they're gonna be similar, but with the different color, different upper lip to lower lip proportions, and the different detail around the mouth, they're different enough for me.

I agree with Superficial that the issue of the Superman/Bruce Wayne twins is much more concerning.

It's just dissapointing these are licensed minifigs, which should make them more unique. I mean, ¨Recycling¨ is super fine among non-licensed themes, but not among licensed ones :sceptic:

But that's my opinion, of course.

According to Brickipedia:

At least one set based on the The Dark Knight Rises film is expected to be released in the summertime of 2012 as part of the Super Heroes theme.

Take it for what you will, but I seem to remember a flier for TDKR a few months ago that featured the licensees, LEGO being one of them. Does anyone who knows what I'm referring to have a link to that picture?

Here it is:

http://www.kidstoysreview.co.uk/lego-batman/lego-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-sets.html

It's just dissapointing these are licensed minifigs, which should make them more unique. I mean, ¨Recycling¨ is super fine among non-licensed themes, but not among licensed ones :sceptic:

If you're looking for disappointment in recycling, just look at the Tamina/Leia and Hermione/Padme recycles. Those are really bad. A similar style of mouth, in my opinion, isn't so bad. Each face still looks somewhat distinct. Of course, LEGO did actually have more variety in licensed figures a few years ago, but they seemed not to care about making face designs really cute looking back then (just look at the old Poison Ivy or Umbridge minifigures). I do wish they would go back to that to some extent, but I don't think there's much of an issue with the mouths being of a similar shape.

¨Recycling¨ is super fine among non-licensed themes, but not among licensed ones :sceptic:

That may be so, but it's not like it takes away anything from the figs as a whole. In fact, despite these facial similarities, I think the females from this wave are some of the best figs I have ever seen! :thumbup:

I don't mind the recycling and similarity of design among Wonder Woman and the Gotham Girls, it's more that they all have the same expression. The angry face on the Gotham Girls is pretty similar too, except Catwoman's has goggles so I'm not so sure if that's angry.

I don't mind the recycling and similarity of design among Wonder Woman and the Gotham Girls, it's more that they all have the same expression.

You know, I'm contradicting myself a little bit here, but I do agree with what you're saying. The mouths looking the same isn't bad per se, since the characters still look different, but it is sad that they all have the same expression. LEGO doesn't have to do this, either, since they're still capable of making distinctive expressions (look at some of the recent HP figures), and it just seems sort of like a lack of creativity to make all the girls with the same basic expression. It doesn't make them all look like the same figure, but it does keep them from having an added layer of distinctive personalities (although to be fair, since they all have had many different portrayals over time, it may be harder to really create a certain expression for a distinctive personality for each)

Some good points, Cloney. I completely agree.

I don't mind the recycling and similarity of design among Wonder Woman and the Gotham Girls, it's more that they all have the same expression. The angry face on the Gotham Girls is pretty similar too, except Catwoman's has goggles so I'm not so sure if that's angry.

I disagree. Catwoman has a daredevil grin, Harley has an evil smile similar to the Joker's, Wonder Woman is angry, and Ivy is just full-on pissed. Very different expressions if you ask me.

If you're looking for disappointment in recycling, just look at the Tamina/Leia and Hermione/Padme recycles. Those are really bad. A similar style of mouth, in my opinion, isn't so bad. Each face still looks somewhat distinct. Of course, LEGO did actually have more variety in licensed figures a few years ago, but they seemed not to care about making face designs really cute looking back then (just look at the old Poison Ivy or Umbridge minifigures). I do wish they would go back to that to some extent, but I don't think there's much of an issue with the mouths being of a similar shape.

Yes! Dolores Umbridge is what I mean with uniqueness. Anyway, I must accept we have a terrific variety of new hairpieces and bigger detail on torsos and legs :classic:

Sorry for going off topic, but does anyone know the name of the designer who worked with the 2006 poison ivy, hermione, catwoman and Dolores' face? I literally love him/her :tongue:

Edited by Otherworld

I disagree. Catwoman has a daredevil grin, Harley has an evil smile similar to the Joker's, Wonder Woman is angry, and Ivy is just full-on pissed. Very different expressions if you ask me.

I didn't know how to describe Catwoman's and I don't own Harley yet, but I completley agree about Ivy. Not that you are wrong, maybe once I have Harley I'll see what you see, and again, I don't know how I'd describe Catwoman's.

I don't own Harley either, but looking at pictures of her (such as the one below) it's easy to see that it doesn't look anything like the mouths of the other DC girls:

404px-Harley_quinn-2.png

I don't own Harley either, but looking at pictures of her (such as the one below) it's easy to see that it doesn't look anything like the mouths of the other DC girls:

I see that now, I think it's in the cheek bones I didn't notice before.

Edit: I don't think there are cheek bones actually :look: I mean that line on the left side (my left) of her face.

Edited by Superficial Username

Thank you! I am really excited about this. I already picked up the Funhouse, Two Face Chase, and Batwing sets. I don't think I'll be getting anymore of the remade Batman sets that are out now. I can't wait to see what TDKR sets look like and will probably pick them up. It's been awhile since I've collected LEGOs and I just got back into it because I am a huge Batman fan that wasn't able to get the sets back in 2006.

I agree that the girls have the same happy/angry look To them , but each is more individualized to that character!

Edited by Neville longbottem

<snip>

She's double-sided though, and the other side has the first smirk from Otherworld's gallery of smirks:

se66p2.png

Those pics are, in order: Harley, Ivy, Catwoman, and Wonder Woman. Personally, I'd chalk-up the similarities to Lego's love of smirks (see the collectable minifigs!) rather than a laziness.

*Just to show similarities* this is the result of morphing the new and old Catwoman:

catwoman2-png--catwoman1-jpg.jpeg

This one from both Poison Ivy's

PoisonIvy2-png--PoisonIvy1-jpg.jpeg

This one from both old PI and Catwoman

catwoman1-jpg--PoisonIvy1-jpg.jpeg

And this one from the new Catwoman and the new Poison Ivy

catwoman2-png--PoisonIvy2-png.jpeg

See how both new faces are extremely alike?

IMO :classic:

Edited by Otherworld

:wacko: Not the best pictures to show, but I guess so..

These were morphed from small pictures and Morphthing makes them much bigger :tongue: And of course, morphing implies adjusting each other's factions, so there's the problem too.

Edited by Otherworld

Anybody want to take a guess as to what piece they're going to use for the Cosmic Cube? I think that it will a new piece, but how will they make able to fit in a minifig's hand?

Anybody want to take a guess as to what piece they're going to use for the Cosmic Cube? I think that it will a new piece, but how will they make able to fit in a minifig's hand?

Possibly the same way the cheerleader holds her pompoms, with an opening at the back and a rod for the hands.

Possibly the same way the cheerleader holds her pompoms, with an opening at the back and a rod for the hands.

Huh?

Huh?

Uh, that was pretty clear. In response to the question 'how will they make it fit in minifigures' hands,' fatfrog2596 replied 'in the same way they did the pompoms.' In the future, a post that says a little bit more than just 'huh' would be useful when trying to understand what you're confused about.

Uh, that was pretty clear. In response to the question 'how will they make it fit in minifigures' hands,' fatfrog2596 replied 'in the same way they did the pompoms.' In the future, a post that says a little bit more than just 'huh' would be useful when trying to understand what you're confused about.

Thanks for correcting me!