Hinckley

LEGO Superheroes 2012 Rumours & Discussion

To compare different theme's to one another is not really that fair to one another, Star Wars - movie/books (comics born from the first movie), Harry Potter - books (movie series from them) and Super Heroes - comic books (movies born from them).

Originally Harry Potter being in book form children didn't have pictures of the trio or Deatheaters except in their imaginations. Batman, etc, were always in comic book form....staring straight at you from the pages hence it was more escapism than imagination firstly. :wink:

Plus that come thread of good vs. evil can be expressed in either a 100 buck set as well as a 10 buck set, remember imagination is the key element to Lego....play well. :classic:

Well considering that my local Lego Store had all the sets then in a weeks time there was no trace of them, I think TLC has some room to deviate from the 1st tier of Comic Book characters without making any real financial loss. :classic:

You never heard of Superman.....? :P

Brainiac 5 is a hero descended from Brainiac, a well known villain to Superman.

Captain Cold is the archenemy of Flash (like Lex is to Superman and Joker is to Batman). And if you don't know Flash, then we have a problem. Being that he is faster than Superman.... :P

And these are top characters.

-Omi

I didn't say I'd never heard of Superman, I was referring to all of these enemies/teams of people. Yes, I've heard of Superman, Batman, the Flash, Justice League, Wonder Women, Lex Luthor, etc. but in all of the Flash comics I've read I don't recall ever hearing of Captain Cold. Granted, I haven't read so many, but I can't name any Flash arch-nemeses at all. I've never heard of Brainiac either.

It's possible that they will deviate from just the top name heroes and their top name enemies, but I still don't count it as likely. To be honest I don't think a lot of kids will have ever heard of these characters, whereas they will have heard of Flash, Superman, Lex Luthor, etc. I can anticipate a counter to that that kids wouldn't know the more obscure Star Wars characters either, which could be true, but since Star Wars has such longevity it appears to me that LEGO has no problem catering to the AFOLs who know General Veers and Crix Madine since the sets tend to have something else that is more recognizable anyway. (A reason why SW sets based on the EU may not do so well - there's nothing recognizable to the average kid at all)

Star Wars has longevity....

You DO Know Superman was created in 1938, and Batman in 1940, right?

Yep. I thought Batman was '39 though...Wonder Woman is 1941, right?

You're right.

I am just illustrating a point.

Brainiac and the Legion have both been around since the 50s.

So has Captain Cold.

If you do not know who they are, well, that's not really up to LEGO. But to say they probably won't be made because you've never heard of them (when the other 99% of fans know exactly who they are) is just laughable.

I'm talking about longevity as a Licensed LEGO theme. I know that these characters have been around a heck of a lot longer than Star Wars or Harry Potter (the two longest running LEGO themes), but that doesn't mean they will have longevity as a LEGO Licensed property. I know that this Superhero license is also a multi-year agreement, but I highly doubt it will become endless as Star Wars is as a LEGO theme and I don't expect it to delve into the comic book world as deeply.

Face it, I'm sure comic book fans have heard of all of these characters being discussed, but I highly doubt there are as many comic book fans in LEGO's target age range as there are Star Wars and (or were) Harry Potter fans. As comic books have been around for ages, they are never really a 'big thing' in the way that a more compact property like Star Wars or Harry Potter is. Movies, video games, and television shows can open comic books characters up to a more mass audience for an amount of time, but I don't think they have the continuing mass appeal on the same scale to children as Star Wars has.

I never thought how much SW's success might have to do with the vehicles in the series but it does make sense. I'm sure LEGO is weighing these types of factors in how they proceed with the Super Heroes line. As it is, considering they are using the generic label of Super Heroes I wouldn't be surprised to see sets where DC and Marvel characters cross over. It's not unhear of the two major brands to work together, though it is interesting to see them appear in a toy line like LEGO at the same time.

As for ideas of longevity, I'd think it has more to do with the respective fans response to the sets rather than the substance of the license.

For instance, SW fans liked the LEGO sets which in turn made them sell well. That's why they're still around.

If LEGO can figure out the same formula for Super Heroes they may have a similar long term license.

If LEGO's experiment with "Friends" is any indication, they're interested in capturing as many new fans as possible while trying to minimize the affects on long term LEGO fans.

However, I will admit LEGO also makes safe choices along with their risky ones. From what I've seen, it's a bit early to tell how LEGO will handle this Super Heroes license.

http://www.superspielwaren.de/preview.php?osCsid=74870bc3654574f411a6ceb3cf9477ae

This dutch seller lists some of the Superheroes sets. It seems the DC and Marvel waves are being merged into one wave with less sets, and the missing sets from his list are going to be exclusive to some chain like TRU.

6866 Wolverine's Hubschrauberduell €21,95 (27$ Lex Luthors Power Suit)

6868 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout €39,95 (50$ 2012 Star Wars TIE Fighter)

6869 Quinjet Quinjet Aerial Battle €23,95 (30$ Star Wars Battle of Naboo / Droid Carrier)

Dollar prices are made from comparing sets of the same price-class.

Euro prices are lower, because everything on the site is cheaper than the regular euro price tag.

Hubschrauberduell = helicopter duel

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

http://www.superspielwaren.de/preview.php?osCsid=74870bc3654574f411a6ceb3cf9477ae

This dutch seller lists some of the Superheroes sets. It seems the DC and Marvel waves are being merged into one wave with less sets, and the missing sets from his list are going to be exclusive to some chain like TRU.

6866 Wolverine's Hubschrauberduell €21,95 (27$ Lex Luthors Power Suit)

6868 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout €39,95 (50$ 2012 Star Wars TIE Fighter)

6869 Quinjet Quinjet Aerial Battle €23,95 (30$ Star Wars Battle of Naboo / Droid Carrier)

Dollar prices are made from comparing sets of the same price-class.

Euro prices are lower, because everything on the site is cheaper than the regular euro price tag.

Hubschrauberduell = helicopter duel

No offence but I very much doubt this list. One because I believe many websites state differently about the Quinjet set price and have a 700+ piece count. This one has repeated that word twice giving me some mixed thoughts. Two because I doubt 3 sets will be TRU exclusive (Captain America, Loki, and Spiderman). But who knows, anything's possible.

Edited by Housey98

So far I'm only really interested in the Spider-Man & whatever set contains a Deadpool minifigure from the Marvel range at the moment, but that's probably because I'm a much bigger fan of DC than Marvel.

Also, got some hands on time with my brother's Batcave set today, and I love it! Minifigures are great despite the similar faces. Definitely going to pick up a few more sets from this range.

Thanks! No pictures yet, but it is good to see some US prices. I'm not sure how B&N's mark up is normally.

I think they actually charge less than LEGO does. Usually.

So far I'm only really interested in the Spider-Man & whatever set contains a Deadpool minifigure from the Marvel range at the moment, but that's probably because I'm a much bigger fan of DC than Marvel.

Also, got some hands on time with my brother's Batcave set today, and I love it! Minifigures are great despite the similar faces. Definitely going to pick up a few more sets from this range.

Deadpool?

I dunno. If B list DC characters are off limits, as some are predicting (with no facts whatsoever), what chance does Deadpool have?

That is a bit of sarcasm. I look forward to dozens of second and third tier characters from both properties/universes.

Deadpool?

I dunno. If B list DC characters are off limits, as some are predicting (with no facts whatsoever), what chance does Deadpool have?

Cuz Deadpool isn't DC. :P

Not to mention it was confirmed anyways that Lego was doing Deadpool anyways.

-Omi

Deadpool?

100% He is already confirmed to appear.

Cuz Deadpool isn't DC. :P

Not to mention it was confirmed anyways that Lego was doing Deadpool anyways.

-Omi

Plus Ryan Reynolds is clearly aiming for Alfred Molinas & Warwick Davies crown as most represented actors in Lego minifig form. Green Lantern, Deadpool...Lego Van Wilder next? :tongue:

Edited by surrideo

Plus Ryan Reynolds is clearly aiming for Alfred Molinas & Warwick Davies crown as most represented actors in Lego minifig form. Green Lantern, Deadpool...Lego Van Wilder next? :tongue:

The lego Deadpool isn't from the movie so it wouldnt be a Ryan Reynolds figure.

There is no way to be sure on that.

-Omi

They are making a Deadpool movie, I heard. :wink: Samuel L. Jackson is trying to get up there too with Mace Windu and Nick Fury now. Waiting for Lego Die Hard! :tongue:

Guys, please quote my whole post so my comments are not misrepresented.

You guys are fine, but I do not want others to see the quotes and think that was all I said.

Thanks.

-B