Hinckley

LEGO Superheroes 2012 Rumours & Discussion

i'm hoping that LEGO continues this theme for while maybe including a 2nd wave of both Marvel and DC. it seems a shame that LEGO's current trend is that new themes just don't seem to last long and have the life span of about 8 months. i think its time that a long term lisenced theme that could rival LEGO star wars was made. the old batman sets lasted 2 years and had 3 waves. its a shame when a theme with such good potential is cut short. i also believe that in the last 2 years some great new molds have been made that should be used in superheroes theme a great example of this is the bowler hat in the series 5 collectable minifigs (the tiny clown)that must be used on a new riddler. anyway I'am really glad LEGO are bringing back one of my favourite themes and expanded it to include other great heroes and villians i just hope it isn't cut short like it was last time :(

i'm hoping that LEGO continues this theme for while maybe including a 2nd wave of both Marvel and DC. it seems a shame that LEGO's current trend is that new themes just don't seem to last long and have the life span of about 8 months. i think its time that a long term lisenced theme that could rival LEGO star wars was made. the old batman sets lasted 2 years and had 3 waves. its a shame when a theme with such good potential is cut short. i also believe that in the last 2 years some great new molds have been made that should be used in superheroes theme a great example of this is the bowler hat in the series 5 collectable minifigs (the tiny clown)that must be used on a new riddler. anyway I'am really glad LEGO are bringing back one of my favourite themes and expanded it to include other great heroes and villians i just hope it isn't cut short like it was last time :(

Yep, that hat will be great on riddler, he really needs a hat this time round. I'm pretty sure it'll last longer than POTC and POP. The official press release mentioned that it was a multi-year agreement so I'm hoping for at least 5 years of sets. Here are the relevant sections from the press releases

DC

The multi-year licensing agreement grants the LEGO Group access to the entire library of DC Comics characters and stories to inspire LEGO building fun.

MARVEL

Two of the world's most iconic brands are joining forces as The LEGO Group, world leader in high quality construction toys, and Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a global character -based entertainment company, announced a wide ranging strategic licensing deal. Through the multi-year agreement starting as of January 1st, 2012, Marvel has granted LEGO Group the rights to develop a distinct Marvel branded construction toy collection -- LEGO SUPER HEROES -- which will bring the characters, vehicles and action of Marvel's renowned universe to the world of LEGO® build-and-play adventure.

That gives LEGO over 70 years of comic book material to draw from. The theme should last for a very long time, but the longevity of the theme will ultimately depend on how profitable the theme is.

Yep, that hat will be great on riddler, he really needs a hat this time round. I'm pretty sure it'll last longer than POTC and POP. The official press release mentioned that it was a multi-year agreement so I'm hoping for at least 5 years of sets. Here are the relevant sections from the press releases

DC

The multi-year licensing agreement grants the LEGO Group access to the entire library of DC Comics characters and stories to inspire LEGO building fun.

MARVEL

Two of the world's most iconic brands are joining forces as The LEGO Group, world leader in high quality construction toys, and Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a global character -based entertainment company, announced a wide ranging strategic licensing deal. Through the multi-year agreement starting as of January 1st, 2012, Marvel has granted LEGO Group the rights to develop a distinct Marvel branded construction toy collection -- LEGO SUPER HEROES -- which will bring the characters, vehicles and action of Marvel's renowned universe to the world of LEGO® build-and-play adventure.

That gives LEGO over 70 years of comic book material to draw from. The theme should last for a very long time, but the longevity of the theme will ultimately depend on how profitable the theme is.

Lets hope that 70 years of material means 70 years of sets haha :laugh:

I agree that there is a TON of material for TLC to draw from, way more than even Star Wars.

However...TLC is going to have to break free of their "vehicle vs. vehicle" set design for this theme to have any life to it. That design pattern got boring and tired in the first Batman license, and based on all the preview pics we've seen so far, they went right back to it this time around. That is disappointing to say the least.

Both Marvel and DC universes have so many different themes and genres that TLC COULD choose to explore. There are street-level characters like Spiderman, Batman, and Daredevil. Then there's all the space opera stuff, cosmic-level characters (Darkseid mini-fig? Yes, please!), magic-based fantasy characters, even Westerns (Jonah Hex mini-fig? Yes, please!).

One thing that I think would be kinda neat to see would be Lego sets that recreate famous scenes from comic book history. Maybe they could even include a reproduction of the comic book itself with the set.

*Ill say from the start, I know this will never happen*

Solely from the batman angle, wouldn't it be great to have the release of modular sets that can link together to make a giant playset. My kids have been watching too many repeats of Adam West Batman and they asked me the question about Wayne Manor and the route(Poles, grandfather clock and all the entries that have ever been envisaged and portrayed) to the batcave being realised in lego.

Cost a fortune but $100/£100 each, sets of Wayne manor and the batcave that linked together would be a thing of beauty

*Ill say from the start, I know this will never happen*

Solely from the batman angle, wouldn't it be great to have the release of modular sets that can link together to make a giant playset. My kids have been watching too many repeats of Adam West Batman and they asked me the question about Wayne Manor and the route(Poles, grandfather clock and all the entries that have ever been envisaged and portrayed) to the batcave being realised in lego.

Cost a fortune but $100/£100 each, sets of Wayne manor and the batcave that linked together would be a thing of beauty

Yeah, that would be a nice idea. However, like HP theme, there is hogwart castle, and stuff from this, stuff from that, even though they can't link to each other, they can still stand with each other and people will still recognize scenes from book/ movie.

Batcave is okay but Wayne Manor is a different story. I can't imagine a lego set without lego fig. But if it's just like any normal set then we'll have a bunch of Bruce Wayne and Alfred and maybe Tim Drake or Dick Grayson. And even those set a different to each other, it's still kind of emit a all look alike and boring feelings for the kids :wacko:.

I've read a lot of people talking about wanting a Tumbler in the coming TDKR license. And yes, count me in-- That would be FANTAAAAAAAAAAAAASTIC!

But, with regards to the movie, there is this information to consider:

==SPOILERS BELOW-- HIGHLIGHT COLORED TEXT TO READ==

From all accounts of leaked production videos and still images, there will be multiple Tumblers in the movie. I've read some speculation that some of the plot involves Bane 'stealing' some of Batman's technology from Lucius Fox, and some of the videos seem to suggest that the Tumblers and the Gotham City police force are fighting against each other.

What is most concerning to Lego fans and this thread in particular is that they are indeed painted in a desert camo color scheme, and not the sleek matte black that Batman himself made popular in the first two movies. We know he'll be flying a Batwing in the movie, but I'm not sure I've actually seen any shots of Batman himself in his signature ground vehicle. So if we do get a Tumbler set, I'd have to believe it won't actually be Nolan's interpretation of the 'Batmobile,' but rather a vehicle used against the Caped Crusader.

Again, read at your own risk... but this might affect things.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

But, with regards to the movie, there is this information to consider:

==SPOILERS BELOW-- HIGHLIGHT COLORED TEXT TO READ==

Hey, that doesn't sound too bad. Maybe two versions will be released. A camouflaged Tumbler would look pretty cool, and I could imagine perhaps a set with the normal black Tumbler and a camo Tumbler.

Official Two Face figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw it on eBay.

Edited by Shawn

As amazing as that looks, I prefer the first one.

Agreed. The orange looks kinda weird. Who knows though, it might grow on us.

I really like it, that face on the old body would be great as well.

My only question is... do you think the face is two toned? I mean, that makes it look like the whole thing is light nougat...

Official Two Face figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw it on eBay.

6330269731_f4eb28b5ba_z.jpg

Do you have a link to the ebay auction?

Wow this Two Face looks interesting, I am really excited for these sets, stupid dead sheep shoes why can't it be January already....

What planet are they living on where bright purple and orange is a good color scheme?

Someone here told me that's the original colour scheme for Two-Face and I respect that.

However I think it's executed poorly and also the face seem weird without his dark coloured half of the face.

Having both sides be the same colour seems odd... :sceptic:

I think it's hard to make out because of the pic, but the mutilated side does look puprly to me. Just not as different from one side to the other as the old one.

What planet are they living on where bright purple and orange is a good color scheme?

And exist somewhere is a green giant in purple pants :laugh:.

That two face is not bad at all. I'm glad that we are getting re-designed figures. Otherwise the old ones will fall in value. How did someone get their hands on it when the sets haven't been officially released? We don't even have non-preliminary images for the set and then the figure just pops up on ebay from nowhere. Someone is swindling bricks from the Lego company and I can assure you it wasn't me :laugh: Hopefully we will see more in the coming days.

I think it's quite amusing that people are insisting Lego move away from vehicle VS. vehicle sets and go for the play set style, and yet some of these same people criticised the Bat Cave, despite the fact that it is... a play set.