mytoyshop

Fire Brigade Discontinued?

IMO the main reason to drive the price of cafe corner and green grocery is the price for some of the unique parts. BL those two sets won't save you a Loy comparing with buying the actual sets (@ the current price).

Has anyone done the research on how much it will cost to BL the Fire Bridget bricks?

After doing all the leg work for bricklinking CC, GG and MS recently (still waiting for a couple orders to come in the mail, and haven't finalized my total costs yet), I would not recommend trying to do it for Fire Brigade. At least not now at current market prices.

The whole point of trying to BL a set is to try and come in cheaper than buying the set as a whole. Given you can still buy FB on the secondary market for < $300, I don't see how you could come out much less than that (if at all) by buying piecemeal. It might even cost you more. Don't forget the value of your time (its a very time-intensive activity sourcing parts for a 2000+ set), and the cost of shipping multiple orders.

Once FB reaches double it's current market value, then it might start becoming worthwhile to BL it. That's IMHO, of course.

Looks like the current actual selling prices are hovering between $245 and $249 plus shipping. I got into the modulars in late January after this one had passed into retirement and after buying all the rest of the available modulars, I decided I couldn't resist and bought one off of eBay yesterday for $249 plus $12.95 shipping. That's about as good as I could find. I might have been able to save $5 by bidding, but it wasn't worth my time.

Considering the length of time it was available for sale (about 4 years?) and given the rising popularity of modulars during that time, I would imagine most people who would've wanted one would have purchased one already, and far more wannabe-scalpers purchased additional sets for sale after retirement than say, Green Grocer. Both these factors should hopefully serve to keep prices down post retirement, allowing new AFOLs just exiting their Dark Ages now to pick up a set for a reasonable price. One can hope, at least.

^Exactly. People were unaware of the draw back in 2007/2008 when these first came on the market. After the success of the line, many people are buying extras to hope to sell them for a big profit. Now there will probably always be a market for Modulars, but probably not to the extent of the CC/GG/MS only because they were the beginning and not everyone got one. FB/GE had lots of time available so I think many people bought the extras for those.

They will be able to sell them for more than MSRP (obviously, people are paying $250 for them) But that isn't a huge profit compared to what they'd expect. Hopefully it will remain <$300 and that will be the future trend for new AFOLs.

I fortunately asked for FB for Christmas 2011 and that was the beginning for me. I have since done my own GG, and currently working on my own CC, which I prefer to the originals.

They will be able to sell them for more than MSRP (obviously, people are paying $250 for them) But that isn't a huge profit compared to what they'd expect. Hopefully it will remain <$300 and that will be the future trend for new AFOLs.

Well, it's nothing like Green Grocer or Cafe Corner, but even if the price for a MISB Fire Brigade only reaches 300$/€, that still means that if you bought two, you basically got the one you keep for yourself for free. Not the worst deal, imo. And FB has been off the market for only a few months now and the price already is up 100 bucks.

Well, it's nothing like Green Grocer or Cafe Corner, but even if the price for a MISB Fire Brigade only reaches 300$/€, that still means that if you bought two, you basically got the one you keep for yourself for free. Not the worst deal, imo. And FB has been off the market for only a few months now and the price already is up 100 bucks.

Yup and my two FBs and one GE are not in the way so... and hell every extra money above the 150 euro mark is profit.... and i got the double VIP points so.... oh should i get another GE(maybe for bricks, maybe for selling purposes).... thoughts about that one?

I bought 3 fire brigades just before retirement with the intention of keeping 2 and selling 1 in the future to make my money back ... but I couldn't resist opening them all to make my fire brigade building taller. The pieces in this set are great for my style of building.

I've seen lots for twice retail price but I'm not sure if any are selling at that price.

Unfortunately they are. Only just got into lego this year and love the modulars, unfortunately missed out on the fire brigade as well as the other earlier modulars. Reasoned that they are unlikely to bring out another modular fire brigade as there was plenty of opportunity for those into lego at the time to buy it. So i took a deep breath and much against my ethos bought one at twice the price. :wacko::classic:

I picked up one on bricklink for $200 shipped,

When? Just this week? New in box?

I didn't like the Fire Brigade that much so i don't care not having this one in my collection. Just love the Parisian Restaurant :laugh:

I didn't like the Fire Brigade that much so i don't care not having this one in my collection. Just love the Parisian Restaurant :laugh:

Yep, same here. Although I hope I don't regret this two years down the road when the Fire Brigade is $500...

Why is that seller on Bricklink selling the hard to find Fire Brigade for 229 but selling the easily available modular sets for 300 apiece? I really would like to jump on the Fire Brigade at that price, but it makes me a little nervous. Does Bricklink have buyer protection measures? (sorry for the newbie questions, but I am, well, a newbie to Lego...)

It's an awesome set, you won't regret it.

Yes, i'm really glad i got it now, even at double the retail. :classic: DH thinks i should brick link the Greengrocer which i do like. But i'm not keen on Market street so might as well accept the FireBrigade as my starting point and just collect the remainder. Eventually, and thinking a few years downline i'd like to design and build my own modulars anyway.

Yes, i'm really glad i got it now, even at double the retail. :classic: DH thinks i should brick link the Greengrocer which i do like. But i'm not keen on Market street so might as well accept the FireBrigade as my starting point and just collect the remainder. Eventually, and thinking a few years downline i'd like to design and build my own modulars anyway.

I'm with you Legoaholic. I started buying with the Fire Brigade and I'm not bothered about the 3 previous sets. I wouldn't pay more than retail price for them.

I'd rather put my money into buying parts to adapt the newer modulars or creating my own buildings.

Why is that seller on Bricklink selling the hard to find Fire Brigade for 229 but selling the easily available modular sets for 300 apiece? I really would like to jump on the Fire Brigade at that price, but it makes me a little nervous. Does Bricklink have buyer protection measures? (sorry for the newbie questions, but I am, well, a newbie to Lego...)

I bought one from him, arrived five days later. No problems at all, my BL is drgordy so you can check out my review.

$300au for the FB here, which has always been the case :(

I bought mine 18 months ago off bricklink for half that price, bought 2 at the time, still have one sitting in the box. I"ve just started on my GG tonight by buying the instructions, then it's on to the sand greens. I love the challenge of building the set from scratch. Had a ball doing the 10179 falcon!