Sign in to follow this  
AussieJimbo

Layout: Marshalling Yard

For my latest floor layout I wanted to put together a nice functional marshalling or classification yard to help manage my locomotives and rolling stock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_yard

I had a general idea what I wanted to do but found Mike Smith's Beginners Guide to Model Railway Goods Services to be an excellent resource, particularly the page on marshalling yards and the facilities they usually contain.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/8-yards/y-marsh.htm

flatyard (Medium).jpgLarger

Image from site above

So with that as a basis I set about seeing what I could build within the confines of my lounge room.

Overview

marshalling.yard.1 (Small).jpg

Larger

The "ladder" runs up from the arrival/departure sidings at the bottom of the picture with a return to the main line middle left and to the Sofa Canyon branch line top left. The ladder leads to a head-shunt on the far righthand side of the picture, with the engine sheds and turntable at the top.

Arrival/Departure Sidings

marshalling.yard.2 (Small).jpg

Larger

I had to angle the arrival/departure sidings out the door. The main line continues around to the left.

Sorting Sidings and Brakevan/Caboose Storage

marshalling.yard.3 (Small).jpg

Larger

The use of crossover pieces generally works well and gives a flexible, compact layout however the resulting squiggly ladder is a problem when shunting the largest trains. Even with dual motored engines I can't shunt the container train in one go. Next time around I'll go with regular switches and a straight ladder track.

Engine Sheds and Fuel Siding

marshalling.yard.4 (Small).jpg

Larger

I built a new 2 bay engine shed for the shunter along with a fuel siding for diesel locos. The leftmost exit from the turntable should lead to an ash-pit and a coaling station (it'll be hard to emulate LT12v's one) but there just isn't room.

You can also see the breakdown train and the Sofa Canyon branch line exiting to the left.

Services Gantry

marshalling.yard.5 (Small).jpg

Larger

As in real life there is often the need to reroute essential services. This time the classic bridge truss pieces help carry internet, power and AV cables over to the coffee table.

Rolling Stock

marshalling.yard.6 (Small).jpg

Larger

Thanks for looking. Feedback always appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

There is a lot of points eh 'AJ' ? :laugh:

Excellent work, though how do you live in your living room and what does your partner think ? :wink:

Keep up the great railway designing 'AJ' and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks LT.

Fortunately the only one who has to put up with it is me. There's still room for living but the layout has to be put away in the next couple of days. I want my floor back.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks for sharing it with us. IMHO the marshalling yards/fiddling areas of any train layout are the most interesting areas. There's always stuff to be moved around and shunted and re-organized. I have a much smaller set of switches so my layout choices are more restricted, but it's where the action is!

Brick on!

Wow! Great layout. I wish I had the track to do things like this.

I wonder how much it would cost to rent a small commercial space just for my train layout...

That would be pretty awesome.

That is a very nice layout. I'm jealous of those six (if I counted correctly) double cross-overs. The round table is interesting, does it turn?

Wow this is certainly an impressive project and I look forward to following it. :oh:

Cheers everyone for your great comments

Very nice, now you can make a bigger layout if you get rid of the furniture! What good is it? :laugh

I see the furniture as natural obstacles that I have to work with. The rug is always a challenge too as I have to climb a couple of bricks high to get on top of it.

IMHO the marshalling yards/fiddling areas of any train layout are the most interesting areas. There's always stuff to be moved around and shunted and re-organized. I have a much smaller set of switches so my layout choices are more restricted, but it's where the action is!

Same here. I've had lots of fun shunting wagons about and assembling trains.

I'm jealous of those six (if I counted correctly) double cross-overs. The round table is interesting, does it turn?

I was lucky enough to pick up a few of them around the time they were discontinued.

Yes, the turntable is manually operated but otherwise fully functional. It works really well and is so useful to be able to quickly turn a locomotive around rather than sending it off to a turning spur or balloon loop. You can see a few more pics of it here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55176&view=findpost&p=983586&hl=&fromsearch=1

I'm about to pack this layout away but I'm sure there will be an updated one at some stage with improvements based on the lessons learned.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Edited by AussieJimbo