tjb tyranno

Which is your favorite LEGO set?

I like almost all the set I buy very much for different reasons. If I had to choose only one I guess I would go with what I always have on display and that is the AT-AT. I just like the aesthetic of it with how tall it is compared to a minifigure and I just think it looks great displayed on the shelf.

brick beards bounty pulled me from my dark ages. It was one I wanted as a child and never got and I now own it. I had bought a bunch of used Lego off someone who walked into my tattoo shop (we are located right next to a pawn shop). They sold me a bunch of Lego for 50$. I figured my kids would dig it. I got home started going through the box and all these sets I had as a child were inside. They made me feel like a kid in a time I was felt a little to jaded for my age (28 at the time). It was a magical to put brick beards bounty together. I was right there in my house with my girl friend giggling and sorting. That set reminded me of my childhood lusting for a set to expensive for a single mother raising to children to afford. Giving my children everything I could never have has been my goal. But that ship is :devil: MINE :devil: .

Probably either 8689 Toa Tahu, 7307 Flying Mummy Attack, or MMV. One of the Monster Fighters sets will probably take the number one spot though.

Black Seas Barracuda:

6285-1.jpg

This set will always hold a special place in my heart and my collection.

I was around 8 or 9 when I got this set. I remember I was at my grandmother's house in a city that was a nine hour drive away from home. There was a giant Toys R Us store a few blocks from her house and I always wanted to go there since there wasn't one, in my city. I don't remember if I got it for Christmas or a birthday buy I built it at my grandma's house and then had to carefully transport it home in the back seat of my parents car.

It's stayed built all through my childhood and beyond. It was just a few years ago that I broke down all of my old sets and transported them to my home. The BSB had a thick layer of dust on it and I cleaned each piece individually. I plan to do a detailed review of it one day.

My favourite as a child:

NrvFC.png

I got a bit misty eyed trying to find a picture of it. I had a few little space sets but this, for me, was just the most awesome thing. As much as I coveted the larger sets I knew we couldn't afford them and getting this for a birthday was a huge luxury. I ended up getting the single man ship and a couple of moonbase sets as well. A guy I knew up the road got the Galaxy Explorer (the big spaceship) and he had no interest in building it so let me do it. So that was pretty sweet.

The first years or two of the space range were pretty much the beginning of my dark ages as well. I can't remember any sets I got after that. Since I started up again I think my favourite has been this guy:

6cTTT.jpg

It was a fun build and is a nice sturdy set with lots of playability. My son loves it.

My favorite of all time is the 7679 Republic Fighter Tank back in 2008. I really wish I got more of these, I only ended up getting one before it was pulled. This is one of the few if not only Clone Wars sets that have the 10 cents per piece ratio. Not to mention the absolute gorgeous design all for $50.

The problem is I haven't built all the sets I have yet; I really like the Queen Anne's Revenge (which I built), but I also have the Imperial Flagship, which is certainly more impressive.

But I'd say the set I enjoyed building the most is the Medival Market Village, still. Not the biggest set, but based on the theme and quality of the build.

Out of the sets I own: Diagon Alley. It was amazing seeing those in the newer Lego version. I am a huge HP fan, so it was neat seeing those. A close second is Black Knight's Castle. They are my favorite faction from historic castle and that castle is brilliant with the black walls and the red roofing.

Out of the sets I don't own: Skull's Eye Schooner. I don't know if I even remember seeing it as a kid because I know I would have asked my mom for it, but after getting back into Lego I've seen so many pictures of it and I drool everytime. I've considered bricklinking it time and time again.

Otherwise, this is a really difficult question with so many great sets that bring back memories and add in all of the great sets with interesting build techniques.

Can't wait to read other responses!

5571 Model Team Giant Truck

5571-1.jpg

This - THIS was the set that I had drooled over for many years. I remember as a kid getting a 1996 catalog in the mail and this set was pictured in it. I circled it and told my parents this was the set I wanted. A few years went by, and I received pretty much every other Model Team set except this one. The problem was my parents could not find it anywhere! More time went by, I went to high school, then college, and my Lego fascination got traded for other fascinations. :wink:

My dark ages finally passed me, and it wasn't until 2008 when this set out of the blue became available. I was in my second stint of college, and before I went to work one day I checked the local classified online (Kijiji to be exact) for Lego deals. Well what do you know - someone had listed a 5571 the previous night with box, manual, and stickers unused. I sent and email asking a price, he had no idea and I offered him $100. He bit and the rest was history! It's funny because whilst in college, I was pretty strapped for cash, but when I told my wife about it she was excited as I was! It must of been all those years of telling her this was my Holy Grail. I remember that day at work I couldn't wait to get home and meet the guy to get my prize!

The build was amazing, and although it was missing some pieces, it was nothing BrickLink couldn't solve. Amazing set and my still to this day my favorite hands down. Now I need a new Holy Grail to find.......Cafe Corner maybe? :laugh:

Some great stories in this thread so keep 'em coming!

Edited by legomaniac83

Fallingwater brought me out of my Dark Age but I guess the one that was most treasured to me was...

605-1.jpg?0

It was the first set I bought when minifigs (and round trees!) arrived and I adored it.

5571 Model Team Giant Truck

5571-1.jpg

This - THIS was the set that I had drooled over for many years.

I can completely relate. I had almost the exact same experience: drooling over it, never getting it, going to college and coming back to LEGO.... except I've never gotten it. I'm glad you have though, it gives me hope! :classic:

I can't pick between my 5571 Black Cat and my 8479 Code Pilot. Both I wanted ever since I saw them in a Lego catalogued when I was a kid. However I am going to be building a MOC now that will surely dwarf them, my super sized tipper truck will be big enough for both of those to sit in the back of it.

Hmmmm... this is a tough one ....

Instead of picking one, I'll choose 3 from different categories:

Favourite Classic set - Black Seas Barracuda

6285-1.jpg

Most swooshed set - Imperial Shuttle (either)

7264-1.jpg

Coolest set - Moulding Machine #4000001 :look::innocent:

5797067803_e51417fa4d_z.jpg

My favorite set that I have so far is the UCS Imperial Shuttle. Just the sheer size of it is amazing. Plus, it makes a great display piece.

Most swooshed set - Imperial Shuttle (either)

7264-1.jpg

Wow! That set has a hell of a lot of minifigs. *oh2*

10194-1.jpg

Trains may not be my favourite theme, but O love Emerald Night! Down from the colours to the fantastic details, I could never tear this train apart! It's beautiful. And it looks fantastic when going around a track with PF. :sweet:

Hmmmm... this is a tough one ....

Instead of picking one, I'll choose 3 from different categories:

Coolest set

I have to ask...do you own such a set? :look: