Sign in to follow this  
Skalldyr

Architecture Contest: Ludwigskirche, Germany

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everybody,

I had an long run in not building a single spot in LEGO. But when I saw the Architecture Building Contest, the fever got me again. :blush: So I used my newly sorted LEGO and built all night long. I'm very pleased with the result and here we go...

It is an outstanding landmark in my Hometown. The 'Ludwigskirche' in Saarbrücken

Also featured on our 2€ coins.

The construction has started 250 years ago. And this year many events will take place around the church and I'll ask if I can display it in our new Lego store. :classic:

Ludwigskirche in Old Saarbrücken, Germany, is a Protestant baroque style church. It is the symbol of the city and is considered to be one of the most important Protestant churches in Germany.

History

Ludwigskirche and the surrounding Ludwigsplatz (Ludwig's Square) were designed as a "complete work of art", in the sense of a baroque place royale, by Friedrich Joachim Stengel on the commission of Prince William Henry. Construction was begun in 1762. After the death of William Henry in 1768, work on it was stopped due to lack of funds. The church was finally completed in 1775 by his son, Louis, and it was also named after him. The consecration of the church took place on August 25, 1775, with a church service and a cantata composed especially for the occasion.

In 1885-1887 and in 1906-1911, the church underwent restoration. During the Second World War, Ludwigskirche was severely damaged. After a bombing on October 5, 1944, only the surrounding walls remained. Rebuilding began in 1949, however it has still not been completed. A fundamental reason for this long delay was the fierce dispute, which lasted from the 1950s into the 1970s, about whether the baroque interior, which had been completely lost, should also be reconstructed. At first, it had been agreed to restore the exterior, with a modern interior, but this plan was finally abandoned. At this time (2007), the "Fürstenstuhl" (i.e., the princely seating in the gallery across from the organ) in the interior and some of the balustrade figures on the outside are still lacking.

~Wikipedia~

Facts:

Architect ................ Friedrich Joachim Stengel

Architectural style ... Baroque

Location ................. Saarbrücken, Germany

Materials ................ Sandstone

Year ....................... From 1762 to 1775

Modelfacts:

Construction ........... 5 days, 5 hours a day

Piece count ............ over 2000

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

I hope you enjoyed what you saw. :classic:

Gallery

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I don't really see the point in keeping it a secret. The more exposure time your entry has, the more likely it is to win, IMO. I know, winning isn't everything but I would very much like to see this MOC instead of being teased. :tongue:

The more exposure time your entry has, the more likely it is to win

I agree. I think the way to gain support for an entry is through exposure as opposed to building suspense. Show us! :classic:

Chalk up another tally for showing now. Teasing is no fun, unless you get some sick, twisted enjoyment out of watching us squirm while you sit back and laugh maniacally as you read our responses. *huh*:look:

When I look at the poll and your comments... it seems you want to have more teaser! Well here is the next one. :tongue:

But I will post the real pictures today, so don't worry. I'm just having a bit of fun.

In addition, I discovered a small mistake. I need to fix it but still have some time. :sweet:

1.jpg

Oooh! I really like it. The details are excellent! I like the brickwork. You did great capturing all the features at that scale.

I believe you can stop your poll now. :wink:

And I like what I see! But it keeps me from building an own entry in the contest. default_tong.gif

Very well done.

If you hadn't posted it, I would not have known it is on the 2€ coins. Thx for the info.

I believe you can stop your poll now. :wink:

Poll deleted!

And I like what I see! But it keeps me from building an own entry in the contest. default_tong.gif

Very well done.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. But please build one! I want to see some more german buildings in this contest.

Oooh! I really like it.

Thank you too!

Yeah, this is lovely! The colours are nice and the detailing is very well done. Good job!

Like your creation very much and it comes close to the original in my eyes.

But I suggest to think about using these parts instead of these on the roof!?

I tried that, but

first: they are only available in gold, silver and copper.... But I would need them in tan.

and

second: Would TLG use them in a real architecture model... I think no. That's why I choose the tan cylinders.

Superb. The blurred picture actually showcase how similar they are, they really appear to be the same building. Where you could, you captured the exact details of the building, but that's often hard with tiny models. When you were unable to get the exact details, you used the same feel as the original piece - the coloring and design are the same in both. This is exactly what a small replica should be! :thumbup:

This looks great! My only issue is that the part of the tower above the clock looks a bit small in comparison to the real building. Good luck!

This is hands down one of my favourite entries so far. You've got a brilliant eye for detail and scaling it down appropriately, well done mate!

I agree about the cones to represent the statues - I think it's exactly how an official model would be done. You've captured the scaling and balance between detail and abstraction really well!

Thank you all for the kind words. I have revised the model a little bit and uploaded new pictures. So now it's finally finished. :classic:

This was one of the first I saw on this contest and you raised the bar from the very beginning .

It is a precise design on the build and the choose of colors is perfect, it resembles a lot.

Good luck. :thumbup: