Sign in to follow this  
menad

Which UCS do you suggest for starting?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I want to buy my first UCS set so I need your advice. 10212 Lambda shuttle or 10221 Super Star Destroyer? I don't have any other SW set. I'm an AFOL so the playability of the set doesn't count. I collect large models like modular houses and big Technic sets. Which one do you suggest?

I want to buy my first UCS set so I need your advice. 10212 Lambda shuttle or 10221 Super Star Destroyer? I don't have any other SW set. I'm an AFOL so the playability of the set doesn't count. I collect large models like modular houses and big Technic sets. Which one do you suggest?

Hi,

I have almost all UCS models,

i would say the 10212!

i `m a little bit disappointed by reaction of the 10221.

This should be in General Questions :wink:.

I would have to say 10212 Lambda shuttle for me. However if you're not too much into accuracy you could get the SSD.

The 10221 is perhaps the most fun to build, but the 10212 is on the hand arguably the better recreation.

Personally I began with the 10030 and that was very fun - but it also took some time to get into the groove - being the first model of UCS scale I had ever built. In any case you probably shouldn't build the 10179 first, because that could take a looong time for a 'beginner' :classic:

However, if you simply take the time to sort your bricks before you begin, the build will be much easier and shouldn't be the deciding factor of what you get first. Just get what you think looks best - and what you have room for :wink:

Good Luck :thumbup:

This should be in General Questions :wink:.

I would have to say 10212 Lambda shuttle for me. However if you're not too much into accuracy you could get the SSD.

You could of course always mod the SSD :wink:

You could of course always mod the SSD :wink:

Silly idea, who would ruin the existing model with unnecessary greebles :sceptic:.

:tongue:

This is a tough call. While I don't have either one, I have seen both on display at LEGO stores. On display alone, while you'll need A LOT of space, I say get 10221. The size alone is awesome! I know size isn't everything :wink: but with this it is. The finished model is just impressive. However, the build may not be the moat exciting, and would definitely get tedious(all those greebles, oooohh...).

I'd go for 10179 far more fun to build than the others!

Thanks for the answers. I think I start with the SSD and after that I may buy the Lambda shuttle.

Thanks for the answers. I think I start with the SSD and after that I may buy the Lambda shuttle.

I envy you, building UCS is an adventure and the 10221 is a great build. :thumbup:

Should you win the lottery you must also get the 10179 one day :classic:

@Mr. Man: :wink:

I envy you, building UCS is an adventure and the 10221 is a great build. :thumbup:

I agree. It is quite a fun day when you start a UCS set. I would go with the SSD, mainly for the sheer size. Although inaccurate, it is very impressive.

10179 popped my Lego cherry back in January 2008! It was all champagne and caviar come each new UCS set after that...

Having built them all I'd say 10212 is an absolute classic. It's up there in the stratosphere with 10179 and even 7191 (whose positively orbital brilliance and antique good looks always bring a chill to my spine). The shuttle is bound to always be looked back upon with fondness by collectors and enthusiasts alike over the ensuring years. By all means have fun with 10221, it's big, ballsy and eye popping (especially when used as a spear), but just don't miss the shuttle...

...'cause you'd be missing the proverbial boat.

Have a UCS blast my friend! :wink:

Don't forget the new R2-D2 UCS is due out this year. That is where my money is headed.

And the B-Wing!

Don't put off for tomorrow what 'epicness' can be purchased and built today! :wink:

I agree, however, my wallet and girlfriend have teamed up and vetoed any huge LEGO purchases for a while.

I agree, however, my wallet and girlfriend have teamed up and vetoed any huge LEGO purchases for a while.

One has clearly not mastered the requirement for man species to command the use of 2 wallets, one being current, and one holding old 'dated and expired' cards for such circumstances :devil:

One has clearly not mastered the requirement for man species to command the use of 2 wallets, one being current, and one holding old 'dated and expired' cards for such circumstances :devil:

...or you could simply replace the use of 'wallets' in this sentence with 'women'! :look:

Well, since you have already decided the battle will be between those two sets, I'll highlight their pros and cons (I own them both).

LAMBDA SHUTTLE:

-)extremely well proportioned

-)movable wings and a well engineered internal mechanism

-)huge on all 3 dimensions, which means you will have to find a box-shaped place where to fit it (while the Executor is only long).

EXECUTOR:

-)quite literally BIG. Find beforehand a place where you will display it, trust me on this.

-)repetitive, but the greater amount of pieces if compared with the Lambda is very noticeable. Good if you want to feel like a God after the 4000th piece is set in its right place.

-)the center holds an anoying small set made for minifigures. After a while you won't notice anymore the slight bump its makes on the mdoel, but at first you'll look at it half the time.

Also, if (like me) you're thinking of displaying the set without any means of shielding it from dust, remember that the Executor is a pain in the megablocks to clean, unlike the Lambda. However, dust on grey is infinitely less noticeable than on the Lambda's white; also, remember that white pieces tend to gain a yellowish tint after some years, while the grey ones don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been discussed before that there is actually a very good way to remove the yellowing effects on white bricks? Something to do with Oxy Clean I believe...

Personally, I would go for the Shuttle just because it's been out longer and will probably be discontinued before 10221. You can also get some good discounts via Amazon if you keep your eye on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been discussed before that there is actually a very good way to remove the yellowing effects on white bricks? Something to do with Oxy Clean I believe...

Personally, I would go for the Shuttle just because it's been out longer and will probably be discontinued before 10221. You can also get some good discounts via Amazon if you keep your eye on it.

The fact that you can remove it doesn't mean it doesn't happen at all :)

I recommend checking out the buying LEGO in secret thread. It ought to give you some ideas. :devil: