Dakar A

Achitecture Contest: L'arc de triomphe

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all you Architecture fans!

I am glad to have a contest at EB I feel at home with. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a new Kingdom's Joust set, or a couple of series 6 minifigs, but buildings are my real passion!

The Arc de Triomphe is, according to Wikipedia, one of the most famous monuments in Paris. It stands in the centre of the Place Charles de Gaulle (originally named Place de l'Étoile), at the western end of the Champs-Élysées.The Arc de Triomphe (in English: "Triumphal Arch") honours those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars, with the names of all French victories and generals inscribed on its inner and outer surfaces. Beneath its vault lies the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I.

Type:Triumphal Arch

Architectural Style:Neoclassicism

Location:Place Charles de Gaulle (formerly Place de l'Étoile)

Construction Started:15 August 1806

Inagurated:29 July 1836

Height:50 m (164 ft)

Other Dimensions:Wide: 45 m (148 ft) Deep: 22 m (72 ft)

This is one of the most well know architetural feats in Paris, along with the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.

6970239825_0ba1176fa5_z.jpg

Arch 1 by Dakar A, on Flickr

Built in the Landmark style of the Lego architecture series.

Only editing done to this picture was making the background soild black.

I had a lot of fun in building this one! Since I have been studying French, and the Champs-Élysées comes up quite often, this was a good start for building ideas. I thought of doing the Eiffel tower, but that is TOO stereotypical of Paris, and I think of this even more when thinking about Paris.

6839317370_549db40a22_z.jpg

Arch 8 by Dakar A, on Flickr

I originaly was building it in LBG, but I soon realised that I wouldn't have enoug parts :cry_sad: in the right shapes and quantities. Heck, I barely had enough white 1x1 rounds!

6839318624_1d10f3ccc1_z.jpg

Arch 7 by Dakar A, on Flickr

And what would an Architecture build be without a shoutout to the architect? So here's to Jean Chalgrin, Louis-Étienne Héricart de Thury, the mind behind the (original) design!

6839318906_30f514ab91_z.jpg

Arch 6 by Dakar A, on Flickr

This one has more daylight than artifical light, but upping the brightness almost made it too bright!Depending on your veiwing angle, the black base may or may not be eaisly visible! :grin:

6824119116_3b40476eae_z.jpg

Arch 5 by Dakar A, on Flickr

And finaly, a comparison shot. The domed section at the top seems to be a relatively new addition, as some shots didn't include it. But then again, this thing is pretty gigantic, so it might be hidden by the top line of the roofing.

Thanks for veiws, comments, (and hopefully) votes. I hope all the other contestants enjoy this as much as I have, and good luck to all! :thumbup:

Dakar

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Nice job! :thumbup: The model is instantly recognizable, and you captured a great amount of detail for the scale. Good luck in the contest!

Looks good! You matched the shape of the original building pretty well,

which isn't as easy as it seems in this scale!!

Very cool. I like how you made an effort to make all the "statues" different. At first I was wondering what you were doing with that, then I saw the real picture. Good job there. The details seem pretty accurate for the scale, you captured everything there. It may just be the pictures, but if you could add that fence border, I think it would make the base stand out better. At first look I didn't even see the base, it's a bit on the small side.

Very cool. I like how you made an effort to make all the "statues" different. At first I was wondering what you were doing with that, then I saw the real picture. Good job there. The details seem pretty accurate for the scale, you captured everything there. It may just be the pictures, but if you could add that fence border, I think it would make the base stand out better. At first look I didn't even see the base, it's a bit on the small side.

Thanks LegoCrazy!

Yeah, the base was a little to small and uninteresting. I've now increaseed it from 12x6 to 14x8. I'll try to get around to photographing it soon!

Very nice! I like the usage of the tooth bricks to represent statues!

Thanks Jack!

Looks good! You matched the shape of the original building pretty well,

which isn't as easy as it seems in this scale!!

Thanks Moctown. I love your architecture buildings too!

Nice job! :thumbup: The model is instantly recognizable, and you captured a great amount of detail for the scale. Good luck in the contest!

Thanks!

EDIT!

I added more to the description, and took pictures in a more Achitecture-y style, with the design grid below, to bring out the black base, and with DAYLIGHT :laugh: ! I also modified the model, making the base larger, and adding a back! (I stealtily kept that a secret in my earlier versions!). A label plate was also added in GIMP, so it's not 100% consistent between the pictures!

Dakar

Edited by Dakar A