Sign in to follow this  
RPGer

Lord of the Rings

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the books or the movies more?

Well, Star Wars has one, and LOTR is being produced by LEGO so this is in order. Let's see what you got! :sweet:

Wow! This is a tough call. Would have to give it to the book though, because the "Scouring of the Shire", :wink: was my favourite part and they left it out of the movie entirely. Well, no, that's not the only reason. I actually, believe it or not, only read the book after watching the movie. I just could never get my hands on the book before then, although I was hunting for it.

The movie was done really well though, for the most part, but there are some things that are a bit disappointing. :oh:

I've only seen the movies as well, and the Jackson trilogy is one of my favourite film franchises I have to say (besides Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Nolan's Batman trilogy and so on :wink: ) I've never read the books but I got information on most of the differences between the movies and the films, but quite frankly I don't get the outrage those caused among the diehard fans of the books :wacko: The inclusion of the elves in the battle of helm's deep e.g. that most fans seem to detest was a nice idea IMO (and without it, we probably wouldn't get a Haldir minifig :sweet: ).

@palathadric: To be honest, I'm glad they've changed that since the placement of that chapter seems really awkward, I mean it happens after Sauron gets defeated *huh* Imagine if in ROTJ there was still a major antagonist left to be defeated after Palpatine's death, it would feel somewhat anti-climatic... But that's just my two cents :tongue:

P.S.: Please don't burn me as a heretic :laugh:

I've only seen the movies as well, and the Jackson trilogy is one of my favourite film franchises I have to say (besides Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Nolan's Batman trilogy and so on :wink: ) I've never read the books but I got information on most of the differences between the movies and the films, but quite frankly I don't get the outrage those caused among the diehard fans of the books :wacko: The inclusion of the elves in the battle of helm's deep e.g. that most fans seem to detest was a nice idea IMO (and without it, we probably wouldn't get a Haldir minifig :sweet: ).

@palathadric: To be honest, I'm glad they've changed that since the placement of that chapter seems really awkward, I mean it happens after Sauron gets defeated *huh* Imagine if in ROTJ there was still a major antagonist left to be defeated after Palpatine's death, it would feel somewhat anti-climatic... But that's just my two cents :tongue:

I won't burn you out the stake, but I have a wicked mind full of other devious torture methods. :devil:

I don't mind the inclusion of the Elves at Helm's Deep, neither how Arwen plays a fairly major part in the movie, whereas in the book she is, more or less, just casually mentioned. I don't mind the big cataclysmic endings to movies, but it seems almost too normal. It's great for all the orcs and every bad thing to die when Sauron falls, but...then what? I guess I think about all these things. The Scouring of the Shire was just such a pleasant battle scene at the end of the book. The whole while they are put in the midst of these horrible battles and pull out by the skin of their teeth, but then at the end they have this sweet, simple, very shire-like battle. I honestly think though, that it would have been a bit odd to have included it in the movie since movies like to end with a "bang!"

Am I making sense in this post or does it just seem like random thoughts? :look:

No, no one is gonna be burned here!

I actually agree with you on the whole "Scouring of the Shire". I, like some here, saw the movies way before I read the books. Sure, that has affected my opinion of the books, but I still love both versions of the story (Tolkien's and Jackson's). I've grown up with the films, so that is what I know best. I love the scouring of the Shire, but I do feel that it was extremely anti-climactic, and (I can't believe I'm gonna say it) I am somewhat mad atTolkien for including it. I much rather Saruman being killed at Isengard at the begining of ROTK (end of the first part of Two Towers book) because it puts some closure to that whole story line. After that, the heroes just have Sauron to deal with. In the book, Saruman is just left wandering until he ends up being a threat at the end of all things.

Even though I love the books, and without them the films would not exist, I still love the movies, and with them we get this amazing new LEGO theme!

CGI can't replace the grandeur that your mind produces while reading a good book.

Kind of like my Lego Creations....they always look a lot better in my mind than they do when I actually build them... :hmpf_bad::cry_sad::sceptic:

Let's burn him! :devil_laugh:

No, really, the books are way better than the movies.

While I just started reading(FINALLY!) LotR, I got to say, as with any book/movie adaptations, books will always trump movies, as Slick Willie said above.

I must say, after rewatching Fellowship, I'm a bit irked at the exclusion of Tom Bombadil. That was such a fun part of the book, IMO. I was sad to see he wasn't even mentioned.

The problem with being such a hardcore book fan is you'll always be disappointed with movies. I loved the Harry Potter universe, but the books had so much more detail that the movies would inevitably leave something out or change little details based on the director/screenplay writer. However, back to LOTR. I have yet to read the books (I just received them for my birthday so I will get on it soon). It's interesting that you mention Tom Bambodil, because I've only heard negative things about his inclusion. Now I won't be able to judge it until I read the books, but I was more than satisfied with the films, so the exclusion didn't affect me. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Since LEGO released LOTR sets this summer, I've watched the trilogy 3 times. I have liked them more each time, so that is all that matters to me haha.

I wasn't so keen on the Tom Bombadil chapters, however I did like the hint that there is a power greater than Sauron. I did however like the Barrows and Barrow Wrights, shame that was cut.

That's why it's always best to watch the movie before reading the book, because then the movie can't disappoint you...hopefully. :look:

While I just started reading(FINALLY!) LotR, I got to say, as with any book/movie adaptations, books will always trump movies, as Slick Willie said above.

I must say, after rewatching Fellowship, I'm a bit irked at the exclusion of Tom Bombadil. That was such a fun part of the book, IMO. I was sad to see he wasn't even mentioned.

I wasn't so keen on the Tom Bombadil chapters, however I did like the hint that there is a power greater than Sauron. I did however like the Barrows and Barrow Wrights, shame that was cut.

I've got to agree with Mr Man, I found Bombadil tedious at best. I did like how some of the themes he brought up were echoed in Treebeard in the movie, though. That's something I love about Jackson's movies- many of the things that were left out are usually touched at, at the very least. The Barrows did seem like a pretty fun sequence, as was the whole arrows firing back and forth on the Andurin.

I like the books better. Mainly because you can included more backstory and information in books then you can in movies. I also really enjoy some of the characters from ROTK that we don't really see in the movie.

That's a hard question. I've seen the trilogy several times, and I'm currently working on reading the books. So far, I equally like both. I've heard of the Scouring of the Shire, and I also think it's anticlimatic (the same reason it was cut out of the movies). The only two things I wish the movies had were Saruman's death and the Mouth of Sauron sequence.

The only two things I wish the movies had were Saruman's death and the Mouth of Sauron sequence.

Both of those are in the extended editions. :wink:

I've read the books (The Hobbit and The Silmarillion too :wink: ), and I've seen the trilogy in full (sort of, saw The Two Towers extended edition, but the other two normal), once, but I've seen bits a pieces when it's on TV and I can catch a few scenes. I read the books first, and I love them, and seeing the movies I love them pretty much just as much as I love the books! I don't mind the exclusion of certain scenes too much, since I can just read the books if I want to "see" them, but I was really looking forward to seeing Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-wights; that was one of my favorite scenes in the first book. I voted for the books, but they pull ahead only by a small margin. :wink:

Edited by Legomaster34