BobBongo1895

UCS Falcon replica

Yay, we got a update!

For once I agree with Aeroeza - the printed pieces look nice :thumbup:

Funny fact: the width of the cockpit is 1/7 of the width of the entire ship - does anyone want to dispute that?? :tongue:

PS: it is now proven it pays to behave like a spoiled kid :wink:

Thats a pretty roomy cockpit there, leaves a lot of room to modify to your own liking! will you be building it with a more detailed interior?

@mortesv

"The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...

- between your wife and your Lego"

Does that mean the bigger the wife, the more lego one can own? If so I gotta getstuffing feeding my girlfriend :devil:

Looks great! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the skin! :sweet:

@Fuppy, I think I have about 20-25kgs of Lego, my GF weighs a bit more than that... However, I did not mean it literally, I was more a question of prioritizing time. Right now my GF thinks I'm using too much time with my Legos - so I'm not completely in balance.... :tongue:

For once I agree with Aeroeza - the printed pieces look nice :thumbup:

Dammit! You're off your game! :grin:

Who is not to say the Falcon was meant as a more cramped ship were people of normal height (yes I’m a heightist) we meant to duck everywhere? :classic:

O.K. then, the metaphorical gloves are off! :classic:

Film historians have to dig deep and shift through 'primary' historical documentation in order to deduce reasonable hypotheses for odd and esoteric musings like the length of an imaginary spaceship in a film like Star Wars! 'Canon' may hold up well for the novels (or quick 'after the horse has bolted' answers from someone in Lucafilm merchandising) but demonstratively fall well short of the answer when you ask simple and essential practical prop and on set questions like 'how the hell does that guy in the Wookiee suit fit in there anyway?'. A little 'academic' scrutiny can go a long way...

Realistically, if the Millennium Falcon was 26 meters long, then the external diameter of the cockpit and tube leading to its saucer would only be about 1.85metres (or around six foot). Alarmingly, at this scale, the cockpit entrance is now only 1.3 meters (or four foot high)! Headroom inside the cockpit becomes about 1.5 meters (or just five foot).

Good luck with that Wookiee because even Solo is losing his head (and his shoulders) when making a mad dash to the cockpit, so I'm not sure a ship quite this cramped fulfills Lucas' vision of a 'lived in' universe...

(However your 'duck' could still 'quack' with plenty of room left for outstretched wings :tongue: )!

Where I think the discussion becomes somewhat moot - is that the Falcon size varies a lot even between the different model shots – which of course have limitations of their own.

The Falcon on the SD bridge tends to support a larger Falcon, whereas the Falcon next to a Blockade Runner supports a Falcon much smaller than the canon length.

True, it's size does vary a lot between shots and this is due to 'SPX' being a pre-digital art form. There's no simple 'scale tool' or re-rendering available to the artist. Being analogue it's imprecise and prone (as you note) to many limitations. Limitations such as available prop sizes and the ever present danger of degrading photographic elements through 'over' compositing (and so losing the shot altogether). Even less apparent to us are problems as simple as effective and efficient communication between various departments of a film (especially before the convenience of more modern telecommunication solutions). Extrapolate that over several years of production time and even across a large geographic obstacle like the Atlantic Ocean and you can easily have a concatenation of errors and inconsistencies for us fans to note! :cry_sad:

So 'approximation' is the best case outcome for an analogue SFX element which explains why we have so many variations in measurements for the Falcon in the first place! However this doesn't make a logical deduction of length from full sized sets an arbitrary one! I think this method gives us a figure about as 'correct' and 'realistic' as Mr. Man could hope for... :classic:

New update please! - Or Aeroeza and me will keep this discussion going for ever! :laugh::wink:

Oops! :blush::look:

Sorry!

It's time for a short saturday night update with a few pictures.

Go the 'dutch tilt'! :thumbup:

I'm liking the mix of old and new grey evident in these shots. I must admit I'm not a fan of 'mixing the streams' normally (next thing you know you've got cats and dogs living together and the whole Lego world goes completely crazy with off yellows and hints of steely blue)! But this looks like it's going to work aesthetically as well as financially for you!

If you can I'd suggest buying the printed navigation dish. Your Falcon could look a little naked without this detailing...

Edited by Aeroeza

It´s time for a short saturday night update with a few pictures.

I´m going to start the skin.

stay tuned.... :wink:

Looking great BobBongo1895 :thumbup:, have you thought about deviating from the design enough to add some LED's to the engines?

So 'approximation' is the best case outcome for an analogue SFX element which explains why we have so many variations in measurements for the Falcon in the first place! However this doesn't make a logical deduction of length from full sized sets an arbitrary one! I think this method gives us a figure about as 'correct' and 'realistic' as Mr. Man could hope for... :classic:

Too right :laugh:. ever thought it could be 30.75 :wink:. Scaling and actual sizes of the props aside, which size is most likely for a freighter the smaller 26.7 or Aeroeza's 34.8, in terms of speed (i.e. small and fast) vs cargo hold size?

Oh and how big would Han and Chewi's beds be :tongue:.

Edit: 2242nd post :classic:.

Edited by Mr Man

Aeroeza is off again, quick, more updates! :tongue:

Yes! Please BobBongo! Save me from myself with another update before we head down the root of mass vs. thrust vs. displacement and mattress size ratios in relation to gravitational acceleration in outer space!! :sick:

Wasn't Star Wars meant to be fun!!! :grin:

Besides rocket science was never my strong subject...

O.K. then, the metaphorical gloves are off! :classic:

Gloves or no gloves, it seems your argument is based on off-screen excuses. My point remains the same: either measurement would be equally “wrong” based on what the moviegoer actually sees. No matter what the creators behind the models/sets have hidden in their little heads or what historians can dig up, I believe it is what is on screen that counts.

The movie is what it is and no excuses can help that, thus combining all on-screen evidence I conclude that the Millennium Falcon is a morphing TARDIS ship! :laugh:

Oh, and I think that using a printed dish for the model would be a horrible idea - instead I would go for a printed dish, which would be MUCH better! :wink:

Oh, and I think that using a printed dish for the model would be a horrible idea - instead I would go for a printed dish, which would be MUCH better! :wink:

I've had a really long day, but I think that you are possibly missing a key word or two in that sentence....! :wink:

Anyway, back on topic: This is getting quite interesting, BobBongo :thumbup:

Firstly, I'm in awe of anyone who has the determination to build one of these via the 'Blicklink' route. It's hard enough to build it even when everything is supplied in one large box, let alone sourcing all of them! I'll admit that I was a little sceptical of the use of 'old' and 'new' grey when I saw the first photos, but they're starting to blend together rather well. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Robin

Hey together,

after recieving the radio handles it´s time for an update. It´s the frustrating "My football team is going to loose" update.

My working area during a away football game.

Falcon015.jpg

Falcon016.jpg

Falcon017.jpg

Please wish us a good second halftime or I will destroy the falcon.......

....hehe no, I will never destroy it. Maybe some of our players. :devil:

Edited by BobBongo1895

A beatiful update!

Your ship is coming along very nicely - and quite fast considering the circumstances under which it is built :thumbup:

@Lobot: No I wasn't missing any words - I'm just trying to disagree with Aeroeza to keep our discussiong going. The more we discuss the more updates Bob will have to make to keep this thread on track... mmm updates... :wub:

@Lobot: No I wasn't missing any words - I'm just trying to disagree with Aeroeza to keep our discussiong going. The more we discuss the more updates Bob will have to make to keep this thread on track... mmm updates... :wub:

Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake! I'm more than happy to add to the discussion if it helps.... :wink:

Great work BobBongo, it's starting to take shape nicely :thumbup: I've built a falcon twice and, if it helps at all, you've done the hardest part. The docking rings and panels around these sections look beautiful when they're done :wub: so please don't give up as it will be worth it!!

And here I was a couple of days ago sitting behind my pc browsing bricklink thinking I could get all 5162 parts (or whatever the exact amount was) ordered in 1 batch.......boy was I wrong. Love this project! I'll go continue to ponder on how to make it a reality for myself :)

And here I was a couple of days ago sitting behind my pc browsing bricklink thinking I could get all 5162 parts (or whatever the exact amount was) ordered in 1 batch.......boy was I wrong. Love this project! I'll go continue to ponder on how to make it a reality for myself :)

He he in one batch? Respect! :laugh:

The building of this monster is like juggling with ants, you´ve to think up to 40 steps forward and 40 steps back for every single building step. Sometimes you got the missing pieces days later than you really need them. It´s a switching forward and backward process. One of the most important things, you have to be accurate with the BL wanted list, every fault is one too much and will kick you days back.

But I enjoy this way of building, it´s a real challenge, brain jogging.

Stay tuned....

Another question...

:tongue:

Not that hard this time, would the canopy piece from the newest Falcon work here instead of the brick built one?

Which piece do you mean? The cockpit piece?

I believe so....

By the way great work on the Falcon..Grey,Bley it doesn't matter as long as it looks good and complete and so far this is fantastic..

I had the falcon ,but i sold it.Looking at your thread makes me want to do this... :excited:

Another question...

Not that hard this time, would the canopy piece from the newest Falcon work here instead of the brick built one?

I Think it is too small - but why would you even consider that? The brick built cockpit looks so much better :wink:

...it seems your argument is based on off-screen excuses. My point remains the same: either measurement would be equally “wrong” based on what the moviegoer actually sees. No matter what the creators behind the models/sets have hidden in their little heads or what historians can dig up, I believe it is what is on screen that counts.

The movie is what it is and no excuses can help that, thus combining all on-screen evidence I conclude that the Millennium Falcon is a morphing TARDIS ship! :laugh:

Argument?

I'd call it more an observation of technological phenomena inherent to pre-digital film production pipelines and general considerations associated with practical set construction. You presuppose a viewer's perception as the 'factual' imperative to otherwise logical speculations associated with mathematical certainties and volumetric constraints. However, what the viewer believes they see on screen is a relative illusion of the senses. The 'fact' still remains if you want the Wookiee to actually fit...

...then give him a shoe size to match!

Now if its pretty film frames you want done to time and budget you can drop just about any hope of our joyfully pedantic fan-boy questions having any realistic answers whatsoever. In which case I should just kill myself now or at least throw my keenly edged keyboard at the nearest scriptwriter who thinks they're the next biggest thing to hit the silver screen since Rudolf Valentino discovered DAT - just so as we can save ourselves the trouble of messes like this in times to come!!!

...and I think a printed dish would be a much more awesome idea than a printed dish! Ha! :wacko:

...would the canopy piece from the newest Falcon work here instead of the brick built one?

Anathema! :sick:

I curse thee to a brickless hell full of flick-fire missiles. 10179 has such a nicely done cockpit achieved with nothing but the use of standard pieces. Shame on you Mr. Man, you're off my Christmas card list... for now.

EDIT:

...I conclude that the Millennium Falcon is a morphing TARDIS ship! :laugh:

Hang on! That's my conclusion from an earlier post!! You can't have my conclusion!!! I had to think of that all by myself and it hurt!!!! :cry_sad:

Edited by Aeroeza

Another question...

It's too small & narrow to fit well and it would look rubbish, as demonstrated by Han! :wink: :

img_1967.jpg

And, anyway, you don't want to upset Aeroeza with that thought!! :laugh:

@Aeroeza

I do not presuppose the viewer's perception as the 'factual' evidence because there can be none - at least as long as it is all conflicting - and that is my whole point. So even though you have observed that the ship may be supposed to be 34,8 meters in the production plans, it is not the illusion that is conveyed - and neither is 26,7meters and any other precise measure for that matter :wink:But please don't kill yourself!!

However, it is not only pre-digital film productions that struggles with scale. In the latest Star Trek film they got this brilliant idea halfway through FX production that the Enterprise needed to be twice as long - to be more 'epic'. Thus half the effects shots convey a 270meter ship and the other half a 540meter ship. How big is the Enterprise then? Well the canon still says 270meters, but as with the Falcon, the on-screen length of the ship is caught in "fact" limbo.

So when the on-screen illusion is not consistent I choose canon - and no off-screen "fact" can help the inconsistencies on-screen - :wink: . Canon is not the "right" answer but there is no right answer - no matter what measurement you believe the Falcon to have the Wookie will indeed get squashed in several of the morphing Falcon shots :laugh:

Conversely, with the Executor I'm more inclined to 'believe' the off-screen fact (17,6km), because what is on-screen is much more consistent and supports fact more uniformly.

Oh, and MY conclusion is much better than yours :laugh:

@Bob, looking forward to your next update! :wink::laugh:

Edited by mortesv

Which piece do you mean? The cockpit piece?

I hesitate to say yes now :look:.

I Think it is too small - but why would you even consider that? The brick built cockpit looks so much better :wink:

I have neither Falcon in the 'flesh' as it where, so all I have to go on for appearance is images.

Anathema! :sick:

I curse thee to a brickless hell full of flick-fire missiles. 10179 has such a nicely done cockpit achieved with nothing but the use of standard pieces. Shame on you Mr. Man, you're off my Christmas card list... for now.

:cry_sad:, it has no glass is my main point. Don't hurt me :oh:.

It's too small & narrow to fit well and it would look rubbish, as demonstrated by Han! :wink: :

@Bob, looking forward to your next update! :wink::laugh:

Wait, what there's a topic here other that how big the Falcon is *huh*.

Another question...

I guess not then Mr Man :wink:.