BobBongo1895

UCS Falcon replica

The falcon is going to be standing on own feets.

The super structure is don.

Falcon007.jpg

But I got a real problem right now, Leia is in the house and everybody is going crazy.

Falcon008.jpg

Edited by BobBongo1895

Good job on the pictures! Makes for a very entertaining record of the (massive) build. As someone who also went the BrickLink route for this set, I salute you!

Costs right now 327€

You're building this for about £310, wow that's some saving there.

I love the little humorous pics in between the build.

You really have inspired people like me to try this put as well, good luck! :sweet:

I'm getting inspired as well, but I already have the set... What to do, what to do...

I'm getting inspired as well, but I already have the set... What to do, what to do...

Build another one and sent it to me :wink:.

:tongue:

Build another one and sent it to me :wink:.

:tongue:

I would totally do that - if only I knew you had room for it - but alas, I already know you havn't, too bad :wink:

Can't wait to see what happens next here - this is my favorite thread at the moment :sweet:

All we need now is a discission of the Falcon's lenght and angles and I'll be completely satisfied - has anyone seen Aeroeza? :tongue:

Edited by mortesv

OK mortesv,

to answer your desire.

At first some actual facts about the money.

5195 Pieces needed.

1. Bricklink 3 pieces - 14,92€ (Chewbacca/Han Solo/Leia) recieved

2. Bricklink 504 pieces - 31,18€ (Hinges/ Technic Bricks/Tiles) recieved

3. Bricklink 95 pieces - 26,80€ (Wedges/Lightsaber) recieved

4. Bricklink 170 pieces - 16,55€ (extreme mixed) recieved

5. Bricklink 16 pieces - 31,50€ (16x 5x5 Technic Eckverbinder) recieved

6. Bricklink 286 pieces - 16,70€ (Bricks / Plates) recieved

7. Second Hand 660 pieces - 40€ (Plates) recieved

8. Second Hand 200 pieces - 19€ (mixed) recieved

9. Bricklink 198 pieces - 22,30€ (Radio Handle/mixed) ordered

10.Bricklink 176 pieces - 23,42€ (Wedges) ordered

Summary: 2300 pieces - 218,95€

My owbn stock: 1300-1500 pieces - around 140€ (mixed)

costs right now 385€ and 3640 pieces

That are the hard facts until now.

So let´s turn to the funny side of life.

The falcon is not big, he is huuuugggeeeeeee. :laugh:

Falcon009.jpg

And there was a first attempt to let him fly.

Falcon010.jpg

The progress will be getting slower right now, I reached my monthly limit of investment, but the story will continue.....

Have fun! :thumbup:

I love you!

Superman stands on my Falcon as well :laugh:

He is overseeing my next project... :wink:

And yes the model is really big - and heavy!

Epic project! I wish you all the best in accomplishing this monumental task. And thank you for sharing the updates, it's very interesting to follow the build as well as the running accompanying cost. :thumbup:

I shall watch the progress of this project with great interest.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I would totally do that - if only I knew you had room for it - but alas, I already know you haven't, too bad :wink:

:cry_sad:.

I love the thought of superman dragging the Falcon through Hyperspace :laugh:.

Can anyone tell me the 'correct' (i.e. most realistic) length of the Falcon please, I've seen quite a lot of lengths and non seem right for a cargo hauler/fighter thing.

:cry_sad:.

I love the thought of superman dragging the Falcon through Hyperspace :laugh:.

Can anyone tell me the 'correct' (i.e. most realistic) length of the Falcon please, I've seen quite a lot of lengths and non seem right for a cargo hauler/fighter thing.

26,7 meters is the canon length - and also the length on the 10179 sticker :classic:

Looking at the sets and models in the films the Falcon could probably be anywhere from 15 to 35 meters so I would say the canon length is realistic enough :)

By the way, I have staged it so Superman is racing the Falcon :wink:

All we need now is a discission of the Falcon's lenght and angles and I'll be completely satisfied - has anyone seen Aeroeza? :tongue:

... and I'd hate to disappoint!!! :grin:

The Falcon is like the TARDIS- 'tis bigger on the inside! The apparently full sized stage props in ANH and ESB were relatively smaller (and necessarily so given limited set space) than the studio model they represented (the ESB prop was also larger than ANH's).

The studio model and its schematics were designed at the last moment in a huge rush (over a fortnight I recall) so big issues emerged with their particulars when trying to match them up. Refinements simply couldn't be addressed given ANH's production timeframe and the last minute change in direction away from the original Falcon 'Blockade Runner' design. So again the internal sets were built larger than the external set and neither sized up well when compared to the final 5 ft SFX model.

The Falcon is simply broken (which suits its personality quite nicely)!

Although I'd been aware of the vagaries of these details before I'd never come across a more comprehensive and well researched article detailing all the particulars until a certain chap likened to a 'clumsy halo being dropped from heaven' found the following here...

It's a real keeper. Here's a summery that gets to the meat of the Falcon's dimensions...

Data:------------Saucer-Diam:----Length:--------Height:--------+%:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elstree Set--------19m/62'-------24.3m/80'------4.9m/16'------datum

WEG Source-------20.5m/67'----- 26.7m/87.6'-----5.2m/17'------+ 7 %

LASE------------24m/78.8'------30m/102'-------6.27m/20.4'---+27.5%

R.Brown 1st Calc---24.5m/80'------32m/104'-------6.3m/20.6'----+29 %

1982 Plans-------26.2m/87.4'-----36.9m/122.9'---8.85m/29.5'----+52 %

XWvsTIE-----------------------------37m/120.25'-----------------+53 %

1:100 Model-Kit---35m/116'------46.5m/152'------8.97m/29.4'---+84 %

R. Brown Final Calc--27m/89'-------34.8m/114'-----6.9m/22.4'-----+40 %

Edit: damn couldn't get the table to space right!!!

The article is written and researched by one Robert Brown. His summary given for the various Millennium Falcon sizes above are as follows (allow me to paraphrase)...

Note: The Elstree set size is taken as the datum, since it is known.

1. "WEG" refers to the 'West End Games' SW-RPG Millennium Falcon size as recorded in numerous of their publications, most notably the 'StarWars RolePlaying SourceBook'.

2. Update 2001: Wizards of the Coast, the new licence holders for the SW:RPG did NOT correct WEG's errors regarding the Millennium Falcon.

3. "LASE" refers to the 'LucasArts Screen Entertainment' screen-saver 'blueprints' of the Millennium Falcon. It gives a total length of 30metres (100').

4. R. Brown's first calculation is based on the Millennium Falcon attached to the bridge of the ISD.

5. The Model Kit has been based on a 1:100 scale, deduced from the size of the included pilot figures. R. Brown believes the kit is actually closer to the classic 25mm scale (1 inch = 2 metres).

6. XWvsTIE refers to YT-1300 specifications given in the "X-WingsvsTIE Fighter" computer game. (source: Bradley J Wilson). The figure of 73m/237.25' is wrong. There is an error here. ALL the ship stats in the game have ALL been DOUBLED. If you halve the Millennium Falcon length you get: 37m(120.25') - which is in perfect accord with the 1982 deck plans - but greater than the 30m figure given by a LucasArts screen saver (LASE).

7. Neither the 'StarWars Technical Journal' nor 'The Essential Guide to StarWars Vehicles' give any size.

8. Mr Bob Long of Calgary, Canada scanned a copy of the blueprints for the full sized cockpit set. From this he has calculated (using a plan view of the plastic model kit as a reference for spatial relations) a length for the Millennium Falcon of 110' (33m). This is in very close accord with R. Brown's own estimates and the small variation may be accountable purely on the slight errors in SHAPE in the ERTL model kit. Long calculated a size for the kit of almost exactly 1:72, but as noted by the replacement parts that the cockpit of the model is slightly stunted.

9. R. Brown's final calculation is based on the size of the cockpit access tube, and its comparison with the diameter of the internal 'ring-corridor' tube. This sizing sits best with the internal layout of the Millennium Falcon, the known size of the Star Destroyers, the top-hatch lift well, the size of the internal corridors, the original design concepts, the 25mm scale model kit, and as he says, sheer bloody-common sense!

So 34.8 meters if you apply a lot of hard work and a little logic!

Ask a tricky question why don't you Mr. Man!!! *huh*

Edited by Aeroeza

... and I'd hate to disappoint!!! :grin:

The Falcon is like the TARDIS- 'tis bigger on the inside! The apparently full sized stage props in ANH and ESB were relatively smaller (and necessarily so given limited set space) than the studio model they represented (the ESB prop was also larger than ANH's).

The studio model and its schematics were designed at the last moment in a huge rush (over a fortnight I recall) so big issues emerged with their particulars when trying to match them up. Refinements simply couldn't be addressed given ANH's production timeframe and the last minute change in direction away from the original Falcon 'Blockade Runner' design. So again the internal sets were built larger than the external set and neither sized up well when compared to the final 5 ft SFX model.

The Falcon is simply broken (which suits its personality quite nicely)!

Although I'd been aware of the vagaries of these details before I'd never come across a more comprehensive and well researched article detailing all the particulars until a certain chap likened to a 'clumsy halo being dropped from heaven' found the following here...

It's a real keeper. Here's a summery that gets to the meat of the Falcon's dimensions...

Data:------------Saucer-Diam:----Length:--------Height:--------+%:

Elstree Set--------19m/62'-------24.3m/80'------4.9m/16'------datum

WEG Source-------20.5m/67'----- 26.7m/87.6'-----5.2m/17'------+ 7 %

LASE------------24m/78.8'------30m/102'-------6.27m/20.4'---+27.5%

R.Brown 1st Calc---24.5m/80'------32m/104'-------6.3m/20.6'----+29 %

1982 Plans-------26.2m/87.4'-----36.9m/122.9'---8.85m/29.5'----+52 %

XWvsTIE-----------------------------37m/120.25'-----------------+53 %

1:100 Model-Kit---35m/116'------46.5m/152'------8.97m/29.4'---+84 %

R. Brown Final Calc--27m/89'-------34.8m/114'-----6.9m/22.4'-----+40 %

Edit: damn couldn't get the table to space right!!!

The article is written and researched by one Robert Brown. His summary given for the various Millennium Falcon sizes above are as follows (allow me to paraphrase)...

Note: The Elstree set size is taken as the datum, since it is known.

1. "WEG" refers to the 'West End Games' SW-RPG Millennium Falcon size as recorded in numerous of their publications, most notably the 'StarWars RolePlaying SourceBook'.

2. Update 2001: Wizards of the Coast, the new licence holders for the SW:RPG did NOT correct WEG's errors regarding the Millennium Falcon.

3. "LASE" refers to the 'LucasArts Screen Entertainment' screen-saver 'blueprints' of the Millennium Falcon. It gives a total length of 30metres (100').

4. R. Brown's first calculation is based on the Millennium Falcon attached to the bridge of the ISD.

5. The Model Kit has been based on a 1:100 scale, deduced from the size of the included pilot figures. R. Brown believes the kit is actually closer to the classic 25mm scale (1 inch = 2 metres).

6. XWvsTIE refers to YT-1300 specifications given in the "X-WingsvsTIE Fighter" computer game. (source: Bradley J Wilson). The figure of 73m/237.25' is wrong. There is an error here. ALL the ship stats in the game have ALL been DOUBLED. If you halve the Millennium Falcon length you get: 37m(120.25') - which is in perfect accord with the 1982 deck plans - but greater than the 30m figure given by a LucasArts screen saver (LASE).

7. Neither the 'StarWars Technical Journal' nor 'The Essential Guide to StarWars Vehicles' give any size.

8. Mr Bob Long of Calgary, Canada scanned a copy of the blueprints for the full sized cockpit set. From this he has calculated (using a plan view of the plastic model kit as a reference for spatial relations) a length for the Millennium Falcon of 110' (33m). This is in very close accord with R. Brown's own estimates and the small variation may be accountable purely on the slight errors in SHAPE in the ERTL model kit. Long calculated a size for the kit of almost exactly 1:72, but as noted by the replacement parts that the cockpit of the model is slightly stunted.

9. R. Brown's final calculation is based on the size of the cockpit access tube, and its comparison with the diameter of the internal 'ring-corridor' tube. This sizing sits best with the internal layout of the Millennium Falcon, the known size of the Star Destroyers, the top-hatch lift well, the size of the internal corridors, the original design concepts, the 25mm scale model kit, and as he says, sheer bloody-common sense!

I admire such a precise answer to a question with so many possibilities :wink:

Since the Falcon, as Mr. Aeroeza points out, is 'broken', I'd say that the answer depends on what evidence you look at. So for me I have to stick with the canon - sorry A ;)

As an example you could use the shot of the Falcon flying over a Corellian Corvette in ROTJ and conclude that the Falcon is no more than 14 meters long. Should the interior 'count more' than the exterior? I don't know - thus canon for me :classic:

It is TARDIS all the way baby :laugh:

Edited by mortesv

26,7 meters is the canon length - and also the length on the 10179 sticker :classic:

Looking at the sets and models in the films the Falcon could probably be anywhere from 15 to 35 meters so I would say the canon length is realistic enough :)

It is TARDIS all the way baby :laugh:

I didn't expect such thought and detail to go into an answer for me here :sweet:. For such a famous ship, it's really strange they didn't try to keep it consistent, the difference between 10m - 26.7 - 34.8 is a LOT!! What length is the UCS version using (if it is scaled correctly to minifigs)?

TARDIS :laugh:.

I didn't expect such thought and detail to go into an answer for me here :sweet:. For such a famous ship, it's really strange they didn't try to keep it consistent, the difference between 10m - 26.7 - 34.8 is a LOT!! What length is the UCS version using (if it is scaled correctly to minifigs)?

TARDIS :laugh:.

Well if you use the height of a minifig (42mm) and say that the average human male is 1780mm - and the 10179 is 820mm long..

1780/42*820 ...

You get 34,75meters :)

However, since the proportions of minifigs are not that of a normal person you could argue that the creators had to make the ship larger in order to accomodate the very wide shoulders :classic:

So if you use shoulder width the 10179 is MUCH shorter - again, there is no definitive answer to minifig scale so I choose to believe the creators aimed for the 26,7meters stated on the sticker...

But it doens't end here, because the 10212 is also supposedly built in minifig scale. That model is supposed to be 20 meters long, but is too small compared with the Falcon (at 26,7).

In the end this discussion will continue forever

- at least until this thread gets another magnificent update :laugh:

Edited by mortesv

I didn't expect such thought and detail to go into an answer for me here :sweet:. For such a famous ship, it's really strange they didn't try to keep it consistent, the difference between 10m - 26.7 - 34.8 is a LOT!!

You're welcome! As for the precise issues with consistency, well they tried, but after Lucas rejected the original Millennium Falcon design (too much like an 'Eagle Transport' from Gerry Anderson's 'Space 1999')...

(Citing Brown)

...the designers were totally lost, needing a key vessel in just a few short weeks, where to turn for inspiration? the story goes that Lucas waved his lunch at them, a hamburger with a bite taken from it, and said "Use this!".

Lucas initially visualised the ship flying in the VERTICAL plane, like a giant sunfish, with the cockpit rotating a bit like the later B-Wing design...

...once the current saucer-with-mandibles concept became adopted, there was still work to do, just no time to do it in!

The model was a rushed job, carried out jointly by a number of modellers, each with his own style. The result gives us the 'modified-patchwork' look we all associate with the Millennium Falcon.

...as well as stuffing up how the central corridors and floor levels lined up with the boarding ramp, docking rings and cockpit.

Given time constraints 'looks' took precedence over any 'internal logic'.

Our scale issues on the other hand aren't actually a production mistake but a necessary byproduct of the external sets being accommodated within the limited floorspace of sound stages and of course by budgetary constraints. Whereas the internal sets were actually built at the right size (otherwise our heroes simply couldn't fit)! This is why you can extrapolate an accurate length from the blueprints used for building the original cockpit set.

-or at least a length which stands up to primary source historical film documentation (and of course logic)!

Remember, prior to the release of an RPG from West End Games there were no ILM or Lucasfilm blueprints (or surviving props) which existed (or were even conceived of) to support the 'canon' dimensions established by the WEG licensed product. Everything 'official' points to the Falcon being over 30 meters in length. Close scrutiny of this material gets it closer to 35 meters.

Well if you use the height of a minifig (42mm) and say that the average human male is 1780mm - and the 10179 is 820mm long..

1780/42*820 ...

You get 34,75meters :)

However, since the proportions of minifigs are not that of a normal person you could argue that the creators had to make the ship larger in order to accomodate the very wide shoulders :classic:

So if you use shoulder width the 10179 is MUCH shorter - again, there is no definitive answer to minifig scale so I choose to believe the creators aimed for the 26,7meters stated on the sticker...

Ha! You are such a 'heightest'!!! I bet you're a card carrying member of the 'World Dwarf Tossing Association'! 'Width' my big fat a#@$!!! :laugh:

I'm sure you wrote that to goad me you swine! :devil:

On the other hand you're also suggesting the UCS Falcon, if one considers only the shoulder width of a mini-fig, is 'canon' length or, if you consider only the height, then it's production length! Awesome!! A UCS for all seasons. Genius Lego designers. I can live with that! :thumbup:

But you're still... :wacko:

Now where's our next update? I need a fix.

Ha! You are such a 'heightest'!!! I bet you're a card carrying member of the 'World Dwarf Tossing Association'! 'Width' my big fat a#@$!!! :laugh:

I'm sure you wrote that to goad me you swine! :devil:

On the other hand you're also suggesting the UCS Falcon, if one considers only the shoulder width of a mini-fig, is 'canon' length or, if you consider only the height, then it's production length! Awesome!! A UCS for all seasons. Genius Lego designers. I can live with that! :thumbup:

But you're still... :wacko:

Now where's our next update? I need a fix.

Ok, I see were you are coming from and I understand the complications during the design process of the ship. The internal sets decide the size, or the ship “wouldn’t make sense”. And the outside life action sets were made smaller due to logistics reasons.

Makes sense, somewhat…

However, it could also be argued that the internal sets were designed larger due to logistic reasons as well – to have characters and cameras moving around etc.. Who is not to say the Falcon was meant as a more cramped ship were people of normal height (yes I’m a heightist) we meant to duck everywhere? :classic:

Where I think the discussion becomes somewhat moot - is that the Falcon size varies a lot even between the different model shots – which of course have limitations of their own.

The Falcon on the SD bridge tends to support a larger Falcon, whereas the Falcon next to a Blockade Runner supports a Falcon much smaller than the canon length.

In the end should we build two real life Falcons at 26,7 and 34,8 meters respectively (This is a great idea!) - none of them would look “right”, when moving in and out and around them.

New update please! - Or Aeroeza and me will keep this discussion going for ever! :laugh::wink:

Your length discussion is a bit offtopic, isn´t it? :sweet:

No it isn't :wink:

We are discussing the length og the model you are building in relation to minifig scale. So far we have concluded that no matter what length you believe the real Falcon to have (26,7 or 34,8 meters) the Lego model can be argued to be spot on :classic:

Besides, we are only continuing the discussion as a mean to force you to make more updates, so we can discuss your progress instead - which in turn makes our "side discussion" very relevent for this thread :laugh:

In other words; we are like impatient, spoiled children :devil:

Today just a minor update,

I´m starting to build the control unit.

*Snip*

.... to avoid impatient, spoiled children. :laugh:

It's looking nice...

I like the printed pieces! Good call. :thumbup:

Also cool depth of field! Gotta tell the admiring public where to look after all!! :classic: