Sign in to follow this  
RPGer

Are you writing a book?

Well, after seeing Poision Ivy's topic about her book, I thought this would be an intresting topic. I am a poet and I'm writing a book called Randomness. So what are all these 2 million members writing? Let's hear it. :sweet:

If by writing a book you mean trying to condense a hundred or so ideas for a fantasy novel into one single book... :laugh: Most of my experience stems from roleplaying on other sites, though, so while the writing and the ideas behind it are decent (I hope) the part that involves it being an actual book rather than just a long-winded story typed out is messing me up somewhat. As it is, no, I'm not seriously writing one, just tossing around ideas and working out a story. If it comes together in a decent way, I might end up writing something concrete.

Interesting topic, I look forward to seeing others post their experiences writing.

I dabble in written a lot, but unfortunately I have trouble focusing on one story. Every time I see stimuli in this world, a new idea emerges in my mind. It can be. A song, an anime, a book, a comic, seeing any of them gives me the urge to drop my current project and start another one. I even have ideas based on things I actively hate. Needless to say this leads to me spending a lot of time thinking about/writing fan fictions. For instance I currently have four ideas flowing in my head, and those are the ones I would be willing to devote time to. Right now I am rewriting Bionicle during 2009 and 2010, with the promise not to use a Macguffin to save the day. I also have a Legend of Zelda project, which takes place after Spirit Tracks. The third project is original, and I thought of it in an Anthology class. Basically it is a story set post first contact, though information on the aliens is very limited. I put that project on hold until I learn more about the ideas it is based off of. The fourth is a vague idea I haven't started yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot. Aside from those I have started many other stories, though I tend to leave them unfinished or hate them.

A close friend of mine is writing a novel (fantasy, obviously), and I'm doing a fair bit of helping with ideas and how to write things, I'm going to do some illustrations for it as well.

I'm actually in the middle of writing a novel at the moment. I've got a Publisher document with 92 pages complete, and a notebook with enough pages to more than double it (once I've completed the arduous task of copying it up! :grin: ). Not sure if I'll ever go through with the idea of publishing it, but for now it's a hobby. :sweet:

So what are all these 2 million members writing? Let's hear it.

I'm intermittently working on a novel expanding some of the ideas in a story of mine that was published a few years ago. It's a swords-and-sorcery fantasy about a pair of gay mercenaries who stumble into some major trouble while working as caravan guards. Lovecraftian elder gods are awakened, forgotten empires rise from the ashes, and dark wizardry abounds. Plus, lots of fanservice.

I have trouble sticking with one concept for very long, and I have kids, a job, and several time-consuming hobbies (Hi there, Lego!) so novel length is a big challenge. I've been working on this one for years. I do much better at (very long) short stories, which I've been fairly successful at getting published.

Anyone interested that I'm writing a textbook (manual) on US foreign direct investment? :hmpf_bad: I guess not! :laugh:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

I dabble in written a lot, but unfortunately I have trouble focusing on one story. Every time I see stimuli in this world, a new idea emerges in my mind. It can be. A song, an anime, a book, a comic, seeing any of them gives me the urge to drop my current project and start another one. I even have ideas based on things I actively hate. Needless to say this leads to me spending a lot of time thinking about/writing fan fictions. For instance I currently have four ideas flowing in my head, and those are the ones I would be willing to devote time to. Right now I am rewriting Bionicle during 2009 and 2010, with the promise not to use a Macguffin to save the day. I also have a Legend of Zelda project, which takes place after Spirit Tracks. The third project is original, and I thought of it in an Anthology class. Basically it is a story set post first contact, though information on the aliens is very limited. I put that project on hold until I learn more about the ideas it is based off of. The fourth is a vague idea I haven't started yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot. Aside from those I have started many other stories, though I tend to leave them unfinished or hate them.

I have the same problem. I start a project and all is good and well, but so many new ideas kind of come and croud it out and then over time I begin thinking that that was a stupid project, and then, still later, I chide myself for stopping. Sometimes, I will even go back and write a bit more, but the second round usually does not last long. However, more recently, I have been able to discipline myself to stick more to the project that I've been working on. Although, still more recently, EB has been eating out a lot of my writing time. :laugh: Anyhow, my current book is over 330 pages. Containing over 190,000 words. In over 30 chapters. So, it shows that I have been sticking to this for a while. :sweet:

Anyone interested that I'm writing a textbook (manual) on US foreign direct investment? :hmpf_bad: I guess not! :laugh:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

I find that interesting, I know several of my lecturers have published pretty good papers on engineering (Note: Nerdy Bookworm to the last...)

I have had a short story published in the second issue of Structo Magazine. I have a number of other short stories I am collecting under the title of Perspective and I am working on two SF novels.

Somebody should write a book from all of the Heroica quests and other history and things. Or maybe one short story for each quest and then woven together. I would do it, but I think it would distract me from my current project which is exactly something that I do not want to do right now. :laugh: Especially as I've managed to stick to it well for such a long time now.

Working title of novel I'm writing: The Beginning of the End. Cliched, I know, but still sounds good and fits with the story. I've got a topic here in Culture & Multimedia for it as well, so if you want to read some parts of it, be sure to head there.

Somebody should write a book from all of the Heroica quests and other history and things. Or maybe one short story for each quest and then woven together. I would do it, but I think it would distract me from my current project which is exactly something that I do not want to do right now. :laugh: Especially as I've managed to stick to it well for such a long time now.

I just suggested this in Heroica R&D, I'd definitely be willing to do Quests 17 and 20. Although, it really would have to be a group effort, since a lot of characters have backstory stuff going on, and it might require further explanation to fit into a novel form.

Like my guitar playing, I have been dabling in writing for years and years mostly for my own amusement. Time is always my problem. However my wife is writing a novel it is called "My Husbands to Do List". It is a magnificient piece of work that she has been writing for years. It seems she adds to it every week. Of course it is purely fiction atleast I believe it is.

I just suggested this in Heroica R&D, I'd definitely be willing to do Quests 17 and 20. Although, it really would have to be a group effort, since a lot of characters have backstory stuff going on, and it might require further explanation to fit into a novel form.

This would be very hard to do, and I can't imagine it happening. :sceptic: Plus, Sandy would have to approve, too. :grin:

I just saw it now! It would be tough though, and we will have to use a lot more character talk and background than there presently is, at least, I think. :look:

This would be very hard to do, and I can't imagine it happening. :sceptic: Plus, Sandy would have to approve, too. :grin:

She doesn't have to approve. :devil:

She doesn't have to know. :tongue:

Working title of novel I'm writing: The Beginning of the End. Cliched, I know, but still sounds good and fits with the story. I've got a topic here in Culture & Multimedia for it as well, so if you want to read some parts of it, be sure to head there.

Speaking of cliches: Mine is "The King of the Beasts." :sceptic:

Edited by palathadric

At least it isn't "The Lion King". :grin:

It actually has nothing to do with lions. Nor are there any lions in it. :blush: Sweet relief though. However, I do run a lot on inspiration, so the lion may be just waiting to happen. :devil:

It actually has nothing to do with lions. Nor are there any lions in it. :blush: Sweet relief though. However, I do run a lot on inspiration, so the lion may be just waiting to happen. :devil:

I tend to make up my own creatures as I go, generally referring to drawings and/or renderings for inspiration. For example, I was inspired by drawings and renderings of Velociraptors to create one of the recurring creatures in my book. Dinosaurs can be extremely useful for inspiration, as they are monsterous in many drawings and can be great as templates for hostile beasts. The work of H.P. Lovecraft can be extremely inspiring as well (The Cthulhu & Shoggoth stand out amongst these), as can many Si-Fi shows & movies, especially for futureistic character designs.

Phew, I was almost worried there. Or maybe I still am a little, that I had made an embarrasing mistake, after spending so much time at Sandy's Heroica.

Okay, whatever. I will still always think of Sandy as Ellaria. :blush:

I suppose that I should have put :laugh: after my post. I was joking.

:laugh::blush:

Sorry, I was joking, but I realize that it was spam. It won't happen again.

I can Edit my post if you want.

Allow me a small dig here. :devil: The "ever vigilant spam zapper" becomes the spammer. :laugh:

Ooops...I'm spamming!

Edited by palathadric

I don't write, but my brother has been writing for years. He's finished about 8 novels, but sent none through publication yet.

Interesting topic seeing as I just finished my first novel tonight. (Woot!) It took me about two years to write and several versions to perfect. It has always been a dream of mine to write, so after we had our first child and I turned a certain digit with a zero after it, I decided it was high time to start. At the end of a day it can be a great destresser when dealing with a rather hefty profession. It does take a sizable chunk of time away from the Lego hobby though.