Sign in to follow this  
Rodeown

9397 B Model pictures

Just a couple of pictures, finished building it , added some plates for the bottom of the tipper bed as the original is open.

9397bmod01.jpg

9397bmod02.jpg

@ Rodedown: Looks good! The folks in the USA (like me) have not had much chance to build the 9397 yet; mine is in the mail. I saw Povratnik's

below to see its B-model functions; he added a Power Functions Receiver. I know that you did "a modification to the tipper section by adding a bed in it as the original design is open." Do you have any additional plans to modify the B-Model? If so, what more would you do to it?

Edited by DLuders

Although the front snow plow can turn left-and-right using the manual gear knobs, is the RAISING of the plow done via a MOTOR or via another manual knob?

It is raised lowered by the motor also rear set of wheels are motorised raise/lower and the cab tilts forward backward via motorisation aswell as the Tipper tipping by motor

all in i Am very impressed, i think i prefer this to the A model Logging truck, I am rendering a video at the moment that i will upload to this thread, I am not happy with the open cab roof, I just clipped some black panels together and laid them on top to see what it would look like.... you will see in the video anyway.

When i went to put the panels in the tipper bed this caused a problem as Legos original fastner for the LA on the bed is atually at the floor level. I moved just below after fitting the panels and it would not shut completly so i had to mod the connection underneath slightly and move the LA attach point on the bed one stud further back to compensate for lowering it, it works out that it now actually tips further than before though so it is fine.

So I will mod the top of the cab and maybe have a go at fitting Doubled rear wheels so it looks more authentic.

Edited by Rodeown

Looks good, Rodeown. Remember me from the Lego MB's? Are you still postin' there? I'm Porty6600 there.

Just finished uploading this video.... whilst it was uploading i just made a new Cab roof for the B-Truck

New roof

9397bmod03.jpg

9397bmod04.jpg

Looks good, Rodeown. Remember me from the Lego MB's? Are you still postin' there? I'm Porty6600 there.

Yes I saw your posts on the Lego Message Boards and remember you, I have not posted on there much, I tend to frequent these forums more :tongue:

@Rodeown - that was my question too, I would like to add some model railroad type light gray fine ballast at a local hobby shop to use as 'road salt or sand'. Kind of too messy to put real sand in, got a couple construction sites around here where building's are being built, but to grab a bucket of sand from the monster piles that dump trucks dump there is a mess this time of year in Michigan. I was planning on doing a whole diorama of an active construction site on my work tables in the garage using my models plus using this model as the plow/salt shaker like they have in the north country. How do you modify it to add the panels, I've got plenty of the black panels sitting around, did you maintain the original open-air frame at the bottom and add the panels above it, or did you have to do a complete rebuild of the dumper? Did you get this whole thing together in one night after DLuders posted the pdfs? Amazing if you did, must have spent all your time doing it.

Just a couple of pictures, finished building it , added some plates for the bottom of the tipper bed as the original is open.

Edited by TechnicFreak

Yes I saw your posts on the Lego Message Boards and remember you, I have not posted on there much, I tend to frequent these forums more :tongue:

@Rodeown: I'm new here and from what I can tell, this is a nice place, but I'll mainly be on the MB's. :classic:

@Rodeown - Per my question, this must have been posted while I was away from the computer, so I see it wasn't as easy as it seemed then with the tipper bed. I'm not real good at modding without some pointed instructions, if you get the chance could you go into a bit more detail, maybe pics? I'm guessing since its done probably not, but man I would like to panelize mine like you have your truck, its like a much larger version of 2005's 8415 Dump Truck, that had an all open bed, but for the price didn't expect much, the 8264 was much better and mostly enclosed and I just used a bit of duct tape here and there to try and seal up the openings, still got a bit of ballast on the tables, but nowhere near like I did when I stupidly filled the bed and saw it draining out the bottom and front of the tipper bed, but there's really no way of enclosing this one with another material like tape, it would look cruddy. I too am more impressed with this version of the model than the main one, I like the nose just because I'm American and that's how most of our trucks look here, but a cabover isn't such a foregone thing, my dad used to drive one in the 70's. I like your top to the cab also, looks simple enough and eliminates those open spaces. One thing about road plows here in MI, they have lots of LED amber lighting on the top and tailgate, have to add some more 1x1 thin translucent lights at the back and on top of the cab like you did. Somehow missed the video, I've never been more excited about a Technic model than I have been with this 'b' model, but I'm guessing the vid is just for the cab top, I'll have a look in a second. You say you had to move the LA one stud back, is there a fitting there for the LA? If I had yours in my living room right now I could look at it and reproduce it quickly with sketching out some simple instructions. Duals are kind of almost mandatory on heavy bed loads, rather surprised Lego didn't include dualies on the main model on the 2 rear axles.

It is raised lowered by the motor also rear set of wheels are motorised raise/lower and the cab tilts forward backward via motorisation aswell as the Tipper tipping by motor

all in i Am very impressed, i think i prefer this to the A model Logging truck, I am rendering a video at the moment that i will upload to this thread, I am not happy with the open cab roof, I just clipped some black panels together and laid them on top to see what it would look like.... you will see in the video anyway.

When i went to put the panels in the tipper bed this caused a problem as Legos original fastner for the LA on the bed is atually at the floor level. I moved just below after fitting the panels and it would not shut completly so i had to mod the connection underneath slightly and move the LA attach point on the bed one stud further back to compensate for lowering it, it works out that it now actually tips further than before though so it is fine.

So I will mod the top of the cab and maybe have a go at fitting Doubled rear wheels so it looks more authentic.

Think TLG's designer of this truck might be a bit jealous of Rodeown's mods...they make it more lifelike even, but of course they had to use what parts came from the main model, just a good thing this group has many talented people that do mods...this one would be a must-have if somebody made it full RC, am sure somebody will make it happen...

Edited by TechnicFreak

Just a quick question, is the new roof you created just held down by the airhorns that were original?

Just finished uploading this video.... whilst it was uploading i just made a new Cab roof for the B-Truck

Okay, lots of questions and i will try to answer them all later, I have just woken up here in uk so once I have had breakfast and a coffee I will show how the tipper bed was modded and more on the roof of the cab, which does need more work.

@Rodeown- sorry to beat this thread to death, but I'm very interested in building the bed just like you did, but I'm still kind of confused, comparing DLuders download pages of the bed and frame/LA assembly and then looking at the couple of pics you posted. I haven't built the model yet, but before I go through all the trouble of assembling the dump bed, I want to be sure of what you had to add and how, please bear with me I'm not great into mod's like most of you are. With the brown wheels in it and even raising the screen res and the angle of the pic I still can't really tell how you modified it so the panels would fit above the framing, it looks to me like you raised the sidepanels of the bed up one stud on the 3x5 liftarms, did you have to do any other modifying? I know about the LA you said had to be moved one stud back but did you have to move the 4 pin thing forward with maybe a 3L liftarm added in between the frame piece and the 4 pin thing to achieve the one stud backwards or did you move the LA where the gearing attaches? Seems that would be an impossibility (to me anyway) since the gearing would have to all be changed somehow where the gear turns the LA cylinder in and out. Maybe a pic looking straight down angle at the bed panels? Or if possible a look at the bed off and what you had to do? I know this would take time and possibly a video of it or many pics and/or alternate instructions, but I think, among many others, not only your bed panels but the roof attachment complete the look of the truck. The roof for the cab looks fairly straightforward, a bit confusing too with what attachments or altering you might have had to do, but not nearly as buggy as trying to see your plan for the bed, both were brilliant additions. TLG might have done that same thing if the main model had those parts on it, but then again, maybe not. I have a lot of main and 'b' models from 2004-up with roofs on all the cabs, maybe not tightly enclosed, but I always thought that something would have to be added to make the model not seem as hollow, esp the bed. This setup is somewhat familiar with the trailer on the 8063 Tractor set, they used all those green panels for the bed. I believe I posted here a while ago how I modified the trailer, took out the ugly green panels, took off the sides, added red panels, kept the dk grey center frame and just changed the length of the beams on the sides and added a bunch of 15L ones locked together with black 2L friction pins at the head to cover the connection point and make it look more authentic, moved the LA back to increase the tipping angle, added ramps on the back end to move wheeled/tracked equipment off and modified the back bumper of 1 of my 8436 Trucks to accept the kingpin from the trailer and used it as a flatbed with either the 16L dk grey chains or longer zipties to hold down construction equipment or pallets of supplies. Luckily both the back bumper of the 8436 and the kingpin met exactly, amazed even me as I am just a build out of the box type of guy just adding on a few things here and there, but it took a lot of planning and finding pieces out of my parts collection to do it, but was impressed with it enough to send a friend of mine a pic, he is another AFOL that belongs to a TexLUG group out of Texas. I gave him this URL, but he told me he just lurks, but never comments. But, he himself was awaiting the 9397 too.

Thanks in advance, Eric

9397bmod01.jpg

9397bmod02.jpg

Good enough buddy, I've been banging this one to death the past few hours, trying to recreate your idea with pencil and paper, but no luck. The cab seems straightforward enough, but if you have a better idea, I'll check tomorrow (or shall I say today, its 2:50am EST here), best I get to bed, spent 3 hours last night printing the instructions from DLuders, kind of dragging myself. I'll check back, probably be about time you in the UK are all settling down. Think you and DLuders kind of created a fest on Eurobricks, in a very good way, got my instructions finally, just need clarity on your mods. Thanks a bunch.

Okay, lots of questions and i will try to answer them all later, I have just woken up here in uk so once I have had breakfast and a coffee I will show how the tipper bed was modded and more on the roof of the cab, which does need more work. Keep in mind, you're talking to a 'child' of Technic, may be nearly 40 years of age and been into Technic for about 8+ years after my dark ages, but I've never been the creative type so you kind of have to spell it out clearly for some of us, just look at the insttructions and build as I see them, however I have taken almost every mod to models and copied it onto my computer, esp all the ones for the 8043 Excavator which were great too.

Edited by TechnicFreak

Was sat here looking at my Plough Truck and glanced across at my Unimog and a thought hit me....... what if i make a covered back for the truck using the panels off the unimog? well i am working on it, i have to work out how to make a gritter unit to fit on the rear but here are some photos of my progress so far.

9397bmod05.jpg

9397bmod06.jpg

9397bmod07.jpg

9397bmod08.jpg

Was sat here looking at my Plough Truck and glanced across at my Unimog and a thought hit me....... what if i make a covered back for the truck using the panels off the unimog? well i am working on it, i have to work out how to make a gritter unit to fit on the rear but here are some photos of my progress so far.

I really like this mod it look like the garbae truck plows New York City seems to use. I agree with others the B model is better than the orginal and with a few mods its a great model.

Edited by tduby

@Rodeown-

Man, you really get a guy thinking. That's a nice model of a garbage truck too, Technic needs to branch a bit on their lineup. I like the construction equipment they always seem to produce and from what I can tell 2H2012 has none, just the chopper, rock crawler and a tractor, but they are notorious for producing cranes, excavators, etc, but don't seem to branch to items that I have been looking for like a good large road grader, a medium size telehandler(not as large as the 8295, more in scale with some medium size sets), a re-release of possibly the legendary 8455 Backhoe Loader, heck they released the pneumatic front end loader 3 times over the period of 7 years. Another one that would be nice is a decent size building frame of some sort, much like the City lineup does, but out of Technic beams, studded or not. Put a bit of sand or landscape ballast in there, you got a hit for all the construction equipment. Another crawler crane of the size of the 8288 would be nice as well as a cement mixer. I tried to integrate some City trucks of this sort into my Technic diorama but they just look odd.

Thanks Rodeown - I'll give it a look later so I can try and figure out your method. You talked about modding the roof you made for the cab, anything on that? I thought the one you built looked real good, can't imagine it would look better.

Hopefully the following video will help you see how i modded the tipper section. :sweet:

@Rodeown-

Looked at the youtube vid, somehow and maybe its my computer's fault, at some points it sounds like 2 people talking at the same time overriding each other. Either way at least I can get an idea of how you accomplished the bed. I see the probs you are having with the roof, I was indeed right about those airhorn holdowns with the pole reversers, looks like it might flop around a bit, thanks for the vid, when I get to those sections of the build, I will open the vid (does it stay up for a while?) and use it for a guide...thanks Rodeown.

Hopefully the following video will help you see how i modded the tipper section. :sweet:

The reason it sounds like two talking at same time is something to do with the way the forum handles links, it opens 2 windows at same time so the video is running twice just close the top one.

@Rodeown- I saved the youtube video you posted and opened, closed the Eurobricks site and it played your voice as one very clearly, very good vid. Very nice mod and clear explanation, only thing that sucks is when I get to that point in the build I'll have to bring it in and set up a card table or something so I can follow your instruction slowly, most of it seems very clear cut. Actually I don't think youtube would let me take a screenshot of anything on Pause, but I was considering just putting together the dumper first if I could get a good all around pic like you had in the vid and go out to my bench and put that together, then work on the existing frame and LA next with your instructions on how to move/add pieces. Probably a dumb question, but are the black 2L pieces on either side of the LA the ones with a pinhole and axlehole? I'm assuming so since you said to slide a 5L axle through the frame piece with another axle to push it through it is. I was trying to go through your instruction vid while having another window open with DLuders part 2 instruction so I could compare. From what I can tell you don't use the 3L tan frictionless pins at the back of the bed like it instructs in the pdf?

I can see you're gaining a lot of hits on the vid, so others are interested too in your mod. The roof for the cab is fairly self explanatory just looking at it.

The reason it sounds like two talking at same time is something to do with the way the forum handles links, it opens 2 windows at same time so the video is running twice just close the top one.

Edited by TechnicFreak

Does anybody have pictures of the b-model with the a-model or maybe 8258 and 8285? I just want to see the sizes because the snowplow seems pretty massive.

@sama - I have both sets 'b' models built, the 8258's 'b' is rather ho-hum, just a large pickup with a winch on the front, pales in comparison to the main model crane truck, the 8285 Tow Truck's 'b' model is quite impressive and I'm guessing the longest of any Technic model ever with the tractor and trailer. I can send them both on, they are on my fiancee's camera (she's not real happy with all the time I've been on the 'puter last couple days regarding the 'b' model 9397, but hey that's a huge hobby of mine, what can I say...). If she will be nice, I can get them off her camera or computer and send them to mine or straight off hers and then to you.

Does anybody have pictures of the b-model with the a-model or maybe 8258 and 8285? I just want to see the sizes because the snowplow seems pretty massive.

@Rodeown - I'm sorry to keep bugging you, again vid was very helpful, but the 2L pieces on either side of the LA, are they just plain 2L beams? Or are they the newer style 2L pinhole/axlehole part, I can't tell because the LA is already installed, just want to be sure before I get into the build too much on that section then have to tear it apart to replace with one or the other. I did look at your vid and made quite a few screenshots and sent them to Word so I can just print out some of your details about what was added or removed and add to the original instructions. One other question on the front end of the trailer frame itself, you moved the long pin with axlehole assembly back one stud on the 7L lt. grey beam and it appears you added two perpendicular axlehole/pinhole w/ I'm sure a blue pin/axle to secure the the two pieces on either side of the very frontmost hole on that 7L lt. grey beam to the front with black friction pins sticking straight up. Is this another set of anchors to the bottom of the flat panels to hold the box to the frame? I printed it out but the prints are so dark I can't make much of the box bottom at all from the screenshots I took.

Thanks again, Eric

Edited by TechnicFreak