Now it is time to present my newest MOC, TigerCat Feller Buncher. I've got inspiration to build this thing when watching Swamp Loggers tv series (pretty good series).

It is fully PF controlled using 4 IR receivers and one regular batterybox.

Functions:

Tracks 1M motor for each one.

Upper part turning 1M motor.

Mainboom lift 1XL motor.

Second boom lift 1M motor.

Cutterhead tilt 1M motor.

Cutterhead rotation 1M motor.

Cutterhead grapple and spinning cutter 1M motor.

So far all the functions are made to work. Maybe some improvements needed for example boom looks somehow ugly, maybe some panels fix that. But i can tell that better when i make progress.

The real thing:

86006641.jpg

Few pics from what i have done so far:

img3213co.jpg

img3215d.jpg

img3214xi.jpg

Edited by VHHH

Nice model but I think too much motors, I preffer to use less motors with a gearbox like in the 8043, anyway I love all the tracked machines :thumbup:.

@ VHHH: I too watch the "Swamp Loggers" TV show, and can see that the Feller Buncher can cut down BIG trees, rip all of the limbs off of the logs, and cut them to length in just a few seconds. I don't think you have used too many Power Functions motors -- your MOC is very versatile! :thumbup: Do you have any plans to make a video of it?

I went to Jo-Ann's Fabrics to buy a few Bamboo stalks (for the 9397 Logging Truck); a Bamboo "tree" could be grabbed by your Lego Feller Buncher to demonstrate its grappling, cutting, and lifting capabilities. Bamboo is lightweight but strong, and can be stained to look like a tree log. They sell Bamboo at Michael's too.

swamploggers_arthead.jpga1326_3182.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Great looking feller bunchier! I like that you built everything and did not use the base from 8043. More motors offers much better playability than a complicated gearbox like 8043. You've done a fine job finding space for your motors.

Do you have a video?

Swamp Loggers is a fantastic show! The show is filmed not too far from where I live. :thumbup:

I used to love that show! i really like your model. i love the mobility and movement. very cool.

tim

Nice model but I think too much motors, I preffer to use less motors with a gearbox like in the 8043, anyway I love all the tracked machines :thumbup:.

First i was thinking to make it use gearbox system but i didnt find the way to put more than 2 PTO through the boom. And another reason was playability, I liked it to be controlled like real thing.

I went to Jo-Ann's Fabrics to buy a few Bamboo stalks (for the 9397 Logging Truck); a Bamboo "tree" could be grabbed by your Lego Feller Buncher to demonstrate its grappling, cutting, and lifting capabilities. Bamboo is lightweight but strong, and can be stained to look like a tree log. They sell Bamboo at Michael's too.

Bamboo is really good idea. Need to check if i could find it somewhere here. Otherway i could use little tree like alder or willow. Only problem is that those are much more heavier than bamboo.

I'm planning to make video when feller buncher is complete. It's interesting to see what kind of video it is going to be because i have never made video before.

Thanks for all comments.

You are right and thanks you for answering. I usually use gearbox for my models because they are small with many functions, when I make things bigger maybe I will do the same things like you, keep up the good work I looking forward for the video :thumbup:.

Looks good so far :laugh:

I like the combination of the coulors black, yellow and red^^

First i was thinking to make it use gearbox system but i didnt find the way to put more than 2 PTO through the boom. And another reason was playability, I liked it to be controlled like real thing.

Bamboo is really good idea. Need to check if i could find it somewhere here. Otherway i could use little tree like alder or willow. Only problem is that those are much more heavier than bamboo.

I'm planning to make video when feller buncher is complete. It's interesting to see what kind of video it is going to be because i have never made video before.

Thanks for all comments.

Look at some of the more recent videos by Youtube user "Searme" as a guide to producing a good video. Hope this helps!

tim

Look at some of the more recent videos by Youtube user "Searme" as a guide to producing a good video. Hope this helps!

tim

Thanks for tip, I definitely need to check those videos.

Little update. I made the cabin, but i'm not sure if it's too big compared to the rest of the feller buncher. It has openable door also which was quite hard to make open proper.

img3219qj.jpg

img3221z.jpg

img3220g.jpg

img3222l.jpg

I think the cab looks perfect! I love the progress so far. I can tell this is going to be an awesome MOC :classic: .

tim

Finally the feller buncher is ready and i found time to take pictures of it too.

So here it comes:

1351777718m_DISPLAY.jpg

1351777729m_DISPLAY.jpg

1351777738m_DISPLAY.jpg

One motor is for using claw and spinning blade.

1351777748m_DISPLAY.jpg

Cutter head can be turned 360 degrees freely.

1351777759m_DISPLAY.jpg

Batterybox is located as rear weight. Power switch is under bonnet.

1351777773m_DISPLAY.jpg

Basic sideview.

Saddly machine is quite heavy so my under structure is not the best one moving this thing. I remade the track system two times but i'm not still happy with it.

Under hight torgue the whole gear system blows away.

Video is coming later when i get it uploaded.

Hey Alasdair, wasn't you making a bark stripper that would go great with this?

It would need another 3 electrical posts which I don't think it will have unless you could fit a gear box in it topic link.

You made a great job designing the feller buncher i look forward to the video. :sweet:

Here comes the video. Video is faster in some parts because it was so long i managed to shorten it.

[media]

[/media]

Quality is poor thanks for my skills and camera. :grin:

Edit: trying to fix link

Edited by VHHH