Sign in to follow this  
SilvaShado

MOC: The BFG by Roald Dahl

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I hope this is the right forum to post this in. Our local LEGO club is going to be putting a LEGO display into a local library branch. The theme of books was chosen to connect the LEGO creations to the library. So I chose a childhood favorite The BFG by Roald Dahl to create in LEGO form.

6804392328_1f7071aa6d.jpg

The BFG in LEGO by Mr&MrsBricksalot, on Flickr

In case anyone is not familiar with the book or the original cover, here's a side-by-side comparison. Sadly, most modern versions of the book don't use this full image or they use different artwork completely, but this is what I grew up with.

6804392542_121c150691.jpg

Comparison of MOC vs. Book Cover by Mr&MrsBricksalot, on Flickr

Please let me know what you think. I've never made a brick-built person before, but I think I did pretty well, only having to modify a few things since I was limited by what I had on hand. But I'd like to know if there is anything I can improve. I'm also happy since this is the first MOC that I've been able to include a Friends doll. I'm not particularly fond of the dolls, but I think this one fit very well, being the closest I had to a little girl in a dress. I really only have castle peasants and princess/queens.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Spot on and so adorable!

At first there was some confusion with the title as I did only ever read it in german, where it was translated to "Little Sophie and the Giant". But as soon as I saw your model there was that warm tingle in my heart and I knew what it was about! (I loved the book as a child! Need to reread it some time!)

I quite like how you achieved the sandals! Simple but very effective! And the face modeling is very striking. Although with that 1x1 round plate between the slope and the plate underneath, it has some resemblance to some sinister squinting... Yet I can't think of a way to achieve those small eyes in that scale and still keep your head design intact. Minor grain of salt which doesn't distract from the overall achievement.

Also it's good to see those Friends minidolls incorporated in so many MOCs as of late! Seems the controversy did grant them a good and glorious entrance ;-)

Thank you for sharing!

Be well!

Cutty

Spot on and so adorable!

At first there was some confusion with the title as I did only ever read it in german, where it was translated to "Little Sophie and the Giant". But as soon as I saw your model there was that warm tingle in my heart and I knew what it was about! (I loved the book as a child! Need to reread it some time!)

I quite like how you achieved the sandals! Simple but very effective! And the face modeling is very striking. Although with that 1x1 round plate between the slope and the plate underneath, it has some resemblance to some sinister squinting... Yet I can't think of a way to achieve those small eyes in that scale and still keep your head design intact. Minor grain of salt which doesn't distract from the overall achievement.

Also it's good to see those Friends minidolls incorporated in so many MOCs as of late! Seems the controversy did grant them a good and glorious entrance ;-)

Thank you for sharing!

Be well!

Cutty

Thanks so much!

I've been showing the model to people to see if they can guess what it is. Quite a few people got it while others say it's familiar, but don't get it until I tell them and then they're like, "Oh, yeah! Of course!"

I'm so glad to hear that the book got translated into other languages! :thumbup: I also feel the need to reread it again after building this. My copy is in storage, but I'm thinking of checking it out from the library.

Thanks for the constructive comments. I also couldn't think of any other way to get the eyes small, but I'm glad it doesn't detract too much. And the sandals are one of my favorite parts. :sweet:

As much as I'm not fond of the minidolls, she does work perfectly for this MOC. I have no girl minifigures and cobbling one together from various parts just wasn't working. When I realized that I planned to use the blond Friends hair, it just came to me to use the whole figure. So it's Stephanie's hair, head and top, but I stole Olivia's bottom half. This made the blue dress similar to what's on the cover. Works for me. :classic:

Hi

when i read "BFG" i expected something really different ;) Something more "B"ig and "F"eaking ;)

But anyway what does BFG means here?

Dino

Great MOC! I remember reading the book, and you just brought it back for me. I really like it.

Hi

when i read "BFG" i expected something really different ;) Something more "B"ig and "F"eaking ;)

But anyway what does BFG means here?

Dino

BFG doesn't stand for anything on Eurobricks. If you read the first post you'd see it's a book, and it stands for the Big Friendly Giant.