ER0L

MOC: 1974 Dodge Monaco Sedan (Police Package)

Hi all,

I think you all know the following lines about one of the most famous movie cars of all times:

"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

My version of the bluesmobile is 7 studs wide, has 2 opening doors and a detachable roof. Fits 1 Jake and 1 Elwood (with hats, which is the most important thing!). There are some fantastic Bluesmobiles already (I’ve probably seen them all :wink: ), but - hopefully - no 7 wide Bluesmobile fitting 2 minifig Blues Brothers so far. So it was worth giving it a try.

Many thanks to Nils O. who gave me an important hint concerning the bullbar which looked odd in the first version.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome as usual. Photos are linked with Flickr.

6945994641_48556eb3c3_z.jpg

6799883160_5aabb83017_z.jpg

6945989441_0de7606d66_z.jpg

6945989475_2998f7f0ee_z.jpg

6945989331_ee898a6f5b_z.jpg

Very impressive. I like the rear end the most. You really captured the overall look on the car. Again, great job!

Great design. :thumbup:

How did you build the front with the space between the briks?

I like it very much.

Edited by HIGHWAY PATROL

Excellent recreation of the dodge, the collectable minifigure stand on the hood is used perfectly :thumbup: I think this is your best 7-wide car yet! Are the stars on the sides custom or official stickers?

Very impressive. I like the rear end the most. You really captured the overall look on the car. Again, great job!

Thanks a lot 5150 Lego! Glad you like it.

Great design. :thumbup:

How did you build the front with the space between the briks?

I like it very much.

Thanks a lot HIGHWAY PATROL! The grille is nothing fancy - I used this technique with Steph's Caddy already (it's an old but official Lego technique). You just stack some 1x1 plates together - the gap is made with a fingernail. The studs keep them fixed nonetheless - they don't move.

Excellent recreation of the dodge, the collectable minifigure stand on the hood is used perfectly :thumbup: I think this is your best 7-wide car yet! Are the stars on the sides custom or official stickers?

Thanks a lot KingOfBuilding, glad you like it. The stars are custom made - they belong to some Xmas glitter stuff. I don't know if there are official stickers like this - if you know (or somebody else does) please tell me.

Thanks a lot KingOfBuilding, glad you like it. The stars are custom made - they belong to some Xmas glitter stuff. I don't know if there are official stickers like this - if you know (or somebody else does) please tell me.

So they're custom. I thought they were some very worn stars from this sticker sheet (I own a copy of the set the sticker sheet came in and the stars really look like your custom ones when they're worn :laugh: )

I :wub: it, 'ER0L' ! :excited:

Ah, that film....memories, Rawhide, that super chase to pay that money for the nuns and "No, mamam....we're musicans" ! :iamded_lol:

Brick On while shaking 'ER0L' ! :excited:

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...

Hit it!!!!

Great job on the new Bluesmobile ER0L! Excellent work in getting the sedan shape of the car. I like the grill in the front and the studs running down the center of the hood and back. It gives a little texture to the car. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Let me just repeat the praise I gave you on Flickr: I think this is a fantastic recreation of one of my favourite movie cars from one of my all-time favourite movies. You've nailed the shape and details, and the minifig stands are really perfect for that use. It's all great. Now, how about a Winnebago filled with Good Ole Boys chasing your Dodge? :)

This is great, all the details are nice. Even better that it properly seats two, good job! I love the shape of the car, which, in LEGO, it's hard sometimes to get the shape just right. I think you captured it great. Also, something extinct in LEGO, car doors!

So they're custom. I thought they were some very worn stars from this sticker sheet (I own a copy of the set the sticker sheet came in and the stars really look like your custom ones when they're worn :laugh: )

Thanks a lot KingOfBuilding, I didn't know this. Btw. the worn look of the custom stars is a custom thing, too. :wink: But something has to look worn here, otherwise the car is much too shiny, since I have no used parts at all. (That's also the reason why I omitted chrome here which in fact goes very well with such a car.)

I :wub: it, 'ER0L' ! :excited:

Ah, that film....memories, Rawhide, that super chase to pay that money for the nuns and "No, mamam....we're musicans" ! :iamded_lol:

Brick On while shaking 'ER0L' ! :excited:

Thanks a lot lighthingtiger, appreciated as always. Yeah, we all seem to share those memories. So this was really a fun and also a musically influenced build.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...

Hit it!!!!

You've just caught it, MadManMingo! This is exactly what Jakes gesture expresses: "Hit it!"

Great job on the new Bluesmobile ER0L! Excellent work in getting the sedan shape of the car. I like the grill in the front and the studs running down the center of the hood and back. It gives a little texture to the car. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot danthaman11, always appreciated. Very glad you like its shape - it took some time to get the proportions right (the roof was the main issue here, the first versions looked quite different :wink: ).

Let me just repeat the praise I gave you on Flickr: I think this is a fantastic recreation of one of my favourite movie cars from one of my all-time favourite movies. You've nailed the shape and details, and the minifig stands are really perfect for that use. It's all great. Now, how about a Winnebago filled with Good Ole Boys chasing your Dodge? :)

Thanks a lot L@go, always appreciated. There's no doubt that you are a huge Blues Brothers fan :wink: And you caught Jake's gesture, too! Concerning the chase I will try to build another car - probably not the Winnebago in the first place. For something like this I would have to develop another platform first which will take me some months as you might know :wink: .

This is great, all the details are nice. Even better that it properly seats two, good job! I love the shape of the car, which, in LEGO, it's hard sometimes to get the shape just right. I think you captured it great. Also, something extinct in LEGO, car doors!

Thanks a lot Legocrazy81, glad you like it. Fitting in at least 2 figs is an important part of my approach to vehicles, same for the doors. This reduces your possibilities concerning the color design and requires quite a different frame, but I don't have the heart to present a new vehicle to my minifigs - and they can't go for a ride or even enter the car by themselves! :wink:

Mmmm... One question though. How many Illinois Nazis has it run over? :laugh: Nice Moc, great incorporation of the CMF plate. It's surprisingly versatile, am I right!?

Blues on!

Dakar

Mmmm... One question though. How many Illinois Nazis has it run over?

I hate Illinois nazis.

Mmmm... One question though. How many Illinois Nazis has it run over? :laugh: Nice Moc, great incorporation of the CMF plate. It's surprisingly versatile, am I right!?

Blues on!

Dakar

Many thanks Dakar. I think L@go has put it right (in Jake's words) as far as the Illinois Nazis are concerned. The car itself hopefully doesn't run over anybody. - Yeah, you are absolutely right, those plates are great, especially for odd-wide cars purposes :wink:.

Great use for the Minifigure Series plates. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot BrickBrackBlock!

Very very impressive! I like your works ;)

Thanks a lot Allos!

Many thanks to all who commented and looked! Hideho! :thumbup:

Awesome!

And extra cool that you posted this today, the 30th anniversary of the death of John ' Jake Blues ' Belushi! Awesome tribute!

You did it again. I think that you are going to be arrested for impersonating a police officer with all these police cars you have been making. Are you an undercover cop? default_laugh2.gif

Awesome!

And extra cool that you posted this today, the 30th anniversary of the death of John ' Jake Blues ' Belushi! Awesome tribute!

Thanks a lot Waaltje. In fact I didn't know this before - it's quite a coincidence! So let's just remember John/Jake as the iconic comedian and musician he was. I guess whereever he is he might be putting a band back together.

The low profile on this car looks sick. I love it!

Thanks a lot Sean M. Keeping the cars low to not "dwarf" the figs too much is another important aspect I try to observe.

You did it again. I think that you are going to be arrested for impersonating a police officer with all these police cars you have been making. Are you an undercover cop? default_laugh2.gif

Thanks a lot Oran, always appreciated. - Well, no, I'm just a participant of Marcel Urbanijas 6 (and 7) studs wide police car contest on MOCpages :wink: I recognized too late that this might not be considered as a police car at all. Listen to what Officer Mount says when pursuing the bluesmobile: "We are in high speed pursuit northbound on Cortlen Avenue. Black and white 1974 Dodge sedan with Illinois plates. Request assistance."

Thanks again all!