adello25

MOD: The Grander Grand Emporium

I love the Grand Emporium. That is the reason I came out of my dark ages. Quick little story for ya...started a new job in Oct 2010 and found out my boss was a HUGE lego fan. She had a catalog with her so I just perused through it seeing what Lego has been up to. At that point I was out of the Lego world for quite a while. As I was flipping through the pages I came to the Modular House page. Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, and Green Grocer staring me in the face, but the Grand Emporium just stood out so much! Went back to my desk and ordered it immediately! Its been all uphill (well downhill for my bank account haha) since then.

Back to the topic at hand here. A while back when TRU did its B2G1 90% off deal, one of the sets I picked up was my 2nd Grand Emporium. I had a vision to combine them and make a bigger building. Between Bricklinking other sets that i have missed and other things going on in my life I never had time....until now.

No pictures of the inside yet; I have yet to fill it with details. I added a 2nd set of windows to the roof (I know there are blue 1x1 clips in there, I do not have any in black! Will be making a BrickLink order asap!)

What does everyone think? Comments/Criticism are all welcome!

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/yank100th/Lego/?action=view¤t=2c81e0e8.jpg

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/yank100th/Lego/?action=view¤t=c17047aa.jpg

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/yank100th/Lego/?action=view¤t=d5b47c8c.jpg

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/yank100th/Lego/?action=view¤t=20e31e9d.jpg

If that's just two sets of GE, it's impressive how much bigger it makes it.

I'm about to expand my FB when the 2nd arrives next week, your exploits could be tempting me to carry on expanding!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the inside adello25 :classic:

If that's just two sets of GE, it's impressive how much bigger it makes it.

I'm about to expand my FB when the 2nd arrives next week, your exploits could be tempting me to carry on expanding!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the inside adello25 :classic:

Well originally I bought pieces to add an extra floor to my original Grand Emporium. Once I purchased the 2nd Grand Emporium I had to expand it! There are a bunch of pieces left over from the 2nd set. That building is a combination of the 2 sets and the extra floor.

I have contemplated expanding the Grand Emporium 16 studs on the other side as well to make it one HUGE corner building.

And I have actually already begun the project of making a wider Fire Brigade. I have made it with 2 Garage Doors. Still a work in progress so no pictures yet! :laugh:

Edited by adello25

When you do get around to the interior, be sure to correct one of the Grand Emporium's few flaws: only one escalator between each floor! There needs to be an up escalator and a down escalator between each floor.

Looks better this way, more realistic 'adello25'. :classic:

I agree with 'Lyichir', double the number of escalators plus more merchandise (you could use the new accessories from the Friend's range to stock the store's beauty and homewares departments). :wink:

Brick On 'adello25' ! :classic:

THIS is a GRAAAAND Emporium: (called GE+)

http://brikkelauget.no/diskusjon/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1705

It is made of the user "Morty" from the Norwegian LUG Brikkelauget.

Honestly, I have to say that GE is probably the only modular building so far, for which size is no limit. The quite opposite is true, the bigger the better. Your modification looks great, but Morty's is just amazing (only thing missing is more goods on sale :blush: ).

Great looking GE. I'm guessing you didn't just 'click' two together like you'd normally do, and actually built it as one. Gotta give you kudos for that.

And, WOW to the ultrasuperhugegigantic GE that Morty did. So much money in that one picture. All those tiles, too!?

Oh, and adello, nice ladies. :tongue:

Nicely done! I agree with everyone that this modular more than any others really lends itself to expansion, and I like that you built out rather than up. The proportions are much more pleasing than with the official set, in my opinion.

Hallo Adello25

Nice mod of Grand Emporuim. I had a lot of fun building the large GE+ who Fonix links to. I love this set and understand that it brought you out of dark age :classic:

Hallo Adello25

Nice mod of Grand Emporuim. I had a lot of fun building the large GE+ who Fonix links to. I love this set and understand that it brought you out of dark age :classic:

The GE+ is truly incredible, gives us all something to strive to!

How many copies of the GE were required?

Any estimate of number of extra parts?

Thanks,

Andy D

The GE+ is truly incredible, gives us all something to strive to!

How many copies of the GE were required?

Any estimate of number of extra parts?

Thanks,

Andy D

I bought 4 Grand Emporium, the rest are parts from lugbulk and some BL purchases. I have not counted how many GE set it would go along if it was only from set, but I think maybe 12 to 14 GE set. Total is over 1100 dark green windows..... I don`t know how many parts total, i only built it :wink:

Edited by morty

:devil:

I bought 4 Grand Emporium, the rest are parts from lugbulk and some BL purchases. I have not counted how many GE set it would go along if it was only from set, but I think maybe 12 to 14 GE set. Total is over 1100 dark green windows..... I don`t know how many parts total, i only built it :wink:

That's amazing. I also estimated between 12-16 GE sets by counting and if only GE sets were used.

Looking forward to your next grand construction.

Andy D

The GE was our first modular as well but as most in this thread thought we felt an expansion was in order. Ours was due mostly to a hole in our city layout next to the GE. In order to fill it we had to turn our expansion into an 'inside corner' giving the new layout an "S" shape. While the exterior is just an extension of the existing facade we really spent some time on the interior of the shop. You can check out some pics here: MOCPages, Flickr, & our little site. We were pretty pleased with the end results.

Some Individual pictures: Exterior Shot --- Ground Floor Interior --- Top Floor Interior