Steinkopf

MOC: 19 CLass 2-4-0

Hello Everyone

I would like to share some photos of a locomotive I built a few years ago originally for the Flickr Lego Trains MOC's 2-4-0 competition, since then the locomotive has gone through a number of progressive rebuilds to the state she is in today, the design is a freelanced build and is inspired by a number of designs used by a variety of German railways from around the 1880s, the main influence is from the Saxon IIIB http://www.worldrailfans.info/Articles/Europe/GermanSteamImages/Saxon/IIIb.jpg and the Wurttemberg AC http://www.worldrailfans.info/Articles/Europe/GermanSteamImages/Wurttemberg/Ac.jpg class locomotives.

Here is the Backstory about the locomotive

Built in 1885 the 19 Class was the last 2-4-0 type to be built for the Kaiserlich Legodtenstein Staatsbahnen, a total of 8 were built of which 194 is the last example left. The class were used on express services till 1904 with the introduction of the 85 Class 4-4-2 Atlantics, from then on they were employed as a mixed traffic loco on branchline services until the 1950s when the scrapping of the steam fleet began.

6797254350_21f8085a8c_z.jpg

6797251292_0bbd487ef4_z.jpg

6943363417_79f7269b6d_z.jpg

6797250296_9098caa048_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Very nice steamer ''Steinkopf'. I really like it's small size and color choice. Will you be adding carriages or other rolling stock? default_classic.gif

It looks stunningly simple, but we all know its taken considerable effort ! Its beautiful and thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks Everyone for the comments.

Nicely done. There's some great techniques on her, and I there's nothing bad I can say about the color choice. :)

--Tony

Thanks Tony I know you always have a soft spot for Green and Black livery just like that of the TSR :sweet: , I still have to get you to build a small boilered loco using half cylinders one of these days :wink: .

Edited by Steinkopf

nice loco!

though i would fill in that gap between the wheel frame and the boiler. steam trains are supposed to be solid. :tongue:

nice loco!

though i would fill in that gap between the wheel frame and the boiler. steam trains are supposed to be solid. :tongue:

Eventually I would like to fit some detail in that area but I would still like to have a decent amount of daylight under the boiler, there are quite a number of classes from the late 1800s till the end of steam that featured a fair bit of daylight under the boiler including the Midland 4MT 0-6-0, NZR Q Class 4-6-2 and the BR 9F 2-10-0.

Plenty of steam engines had daylight under their boilers. I'm only now revisiting old MOCs and adding, or I suppose more accurately taking away, such detail. Check out the amount of daylight visible on this steamer I found at the Galveston Railroad Museum:

5826880897_daa180e4eb.jpg

GalvestonRRMuseum_083 by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

--Tony

Or this one - from first hand experience - a lot of sky tree are visible through the chasis.

d5.JPG

A baldwin 280 in need of some TLC.

Edited by roamingstudio