Sign in to follow this  
cpw

Train Motors/Wheel Assemblies?

I want to make some train MOCs in LDD, but can't find the right elements. I would like to put in a PF train motor, train wheels, the bearing element (287826), and the bar that connects the wheels (4580964) but can't find them.

I did find a model of the IR receiver that I could import; and it looks like LDD does have wheels, but haven't found these other elements.

Thanks!

Edit: Another post showed how to get the complete bearing assembly in extended mode, but I still have not found the motor. I've been doing the builds in non-extended mode, because I would like to limit myself to elements that really exist, but it seems like I need to switch.

Edited by cpw

@ cpw: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: The 6- and 7-digit Lego Element IDs which you quoted don't work in Lego Digital Designer -- you need the Bricklink Part Numbers. If you are in LDD Extended mode, try doing a search for the term "Train" and see what pops up. I did that, and 30 parts appeared. Alternatively, you can look through this Bricklink list of "Train" and "Train Track" parts, and use the 4- or 5-digit Bricklink Part Number in LDD's Search box. If the part does not pop up, it's not in LDD.

Actually, searching for 5-8 digit code (aka ElementIDs) do work in LDD, however only in LDD mode, not in Extended mode. Try for example to search for 4264580 in LDD Mode. It should return a dark blue 2x2 brick.

However, these numbers (ElementID's) change over time, so they are not so good to use. For example BrickLink may have one number listed, and there is another one in LDD. So, the best way to search is by using DesignID's like you say Dluders, which are more stabile. However, using the BrickLink numbers is not foolproof. Of all the DesignsID's in LDD, 15% or so do not have the same number as in BrickLink. It's getting better though, as BrickLink is slowly updated to use the official LEGO part numbers.

I want to make some train MOCs in LDD, but can't find the right elements. I would like to put in a PF train motor, train wheels, the bearing element (287826), and the bar that connects the wheels (4580964) but can't find them.

I did find a model of the IR receiver that I could import; and it looks like LDD does have wheels, but haven't found these other elements.

Thanks!

Edit: Another post showed how to get the complete bearing assembly in extended mode, but I still have not found the motor. I've been doing the builds in non-extended mode, because I would like to limit myself to elements that really exist, but it seems like I need to switch.

Welcome cpw! Good to hear of someone else building trains in LDD!

Here is a handy list of Train Parts in LDD 4.2. All are available in Extended, bold items are available in Regular Mode.

Motor:

70358 - 9V Train Engine

2871 - Motorbogie ornament

Wheels:

74784 - Bearing Element

4025 - Bogie plate

50254 - Train Wheel (Small)

57999 - Train Wheel with O-ring (RC regular)

85558 - Large Train Wheel (Blind)

85557 - Large Train Wheel

Baseplates:

6584, 92088 and 92340 - Chassis 6x24 (different versions)

4093 and 92339 - Chassis 6x28 (different versions)

Couplings/Buffers:

4022 (regular) and 45708 (with plough) - old versions (need additional 2920 Coupling Lever and 73092 Magneto Holder)

64422 and 91994 (identical): new regular Train Buffers

64414 and 91992 (identical): new Train Buffers with plough

I agree the logic between available in Regular and Extended is missing..... :wink:

@ Sjuip: Do you know if the Train parts available in LDD's "regular mode" ARE AVAILABLE in current Lego sets and/or Pick-A-Brick, and whether the LDDextended-mode parts are "legacy" items no longer sold by TLG?

@ Sjuip: Do you know if the Train parts available in LDD's "regular mode" ARE AVAILABLE in current Lego sets and/or Pick-A-Brick, and whether the LDDextended-mode parts are "legacy" items no longer sold by TLG?

I haven't checked them all in PaB :tongue:

I assume it's like I said: there is hardly any logic. Take the couplings: current sets have the newest (child-safe) model, but the old ones are still available in Regular.... Or the chassis plates: currently only the new ones (with large cutouts) are sold in sets and PaB, but the old ones are still in Regular mode.

On the other hand, Regular Mode misses some of the very standard and long-running items (such as 74784 Bearing Element) or new items, such as the RC Train Wheel....

So: no logic whatsoever :wacko:

EDIT: what the heck - I ran a quick P-a-B check....

Results: of all the elements mentioned above, currently only the following are available in P-a-B (that is - for me in The Netherlands):

- 2878 Bearing Element (LDD no. 74784, which is NOT in LDD Regular!). Note: also available are the accompanying Wheels 57878/4496343 and Metal Axles 89815/4580964. In LDD these are integral to 74784.

- 92339 Chassis Plate 6x28 (new, large cutouts)

- 91994 Train Buffer (new, regular)

- 4025 Bogie Plate

All elements available in Black only - except the 6x28 chassis plate, which is in Dark Stone only.

Thus: enough to build a train - straightforward or even with bogies! :wub:

Edited by Sjuip

Sjuip,

Thanks for the part numbers and guidance. I read your Train Tech intro; and I think your MOCs from the Hobby train box in LDD are a very cool idea.

Charles

Edited by cpw

Can someone help me find 2859 in LDD? I know it's a fundamental piece, but for some reason I cannot find it. Thanks!

Just search the part number. If it's not there, then it doesn't exist in LDD. Also, it's not a very good idea to ask for help in a topic that has been dead for well over a year.

The part in question is not in LDD.

FWIW the train motor for PF still do not exists. Neither do the small battery box (4x8x4, both regular 'AA' and rechargeable) so it puts a bit of damper on any MOC.

You can still use the older 9v motor, physically it's the same size but do mind where the wire comes in as it's permanently wired. For the battery box, use a bunch of 2x4 bricks to make a 4x8x4 block and use group feature to group them together as one piece for easier moving.

When when making a part list, take care to use the correct part for the motor and battery box.

Can someone help me find 2859 in LDD? I know it's a fundamental piece, but for some reason I cannot find it. Thanks!

Welcome, @jerewig. The rail switches you are looking for are numbered 75541 and 75542 in LDD. They are only available in LDD Extended, but then you can have them in any colour you like :laugh: . Do not try to find the (yellow IRL) Control Switch 2866 that you need to complete this element - that switch is not present in LDD (yet) :angry: .

Do not try to find the (yellow IRL) Control Switch 2866 that you need to complete this element - that switch is not present in LDD (yet) :angry: .

That again?

lmao_zps3adef41c.gif

LEGO did it before, putting parts up without matching the rest. Like window pane without any matching window frame. I just did a quick MOC and found out it's missing the PF polarity switch part 8869 which has been around for a few years. Also a couple PF motors (L and Servo, both only a year old and they do have excuse) and the oft mentioned PF train motor.

Since LEGO discontinued the My Creation feature, LDD doesn't make them any money and they didn't have to continue LDD for free. They are keeping it alive and for free, so not to look a gift horse in the mouth.