Bricksan

Lego City Project - Update Oct 2012

Yes update time. Sections one to three are built. Does not look like much but the basesplates are not cheap :sceptic:

Already ordered the parts for the beach, surf shack and changing rooms, should be done in next few weeks. The biggest change since my earlier LDD photos is the Coastguard HQ building. I have removed the original design and I am currently building a brand new one in Modular format.

I hoping to have the built in time to enter the Eurobricks contest, for now enjoy photos of sections 1-3:

7148141039_ef3b2fa431.jpg

7148141315_4eb582611c.jpg

7002052062_9dd27acdf6.jpg

7148141657_f10178caa8.jpg

Thanks you two, the good thing is the major expensive parts are out of the way. The HQ in the LDD pictures are no more. I am just putting the finishing touches to my new modular version. :classic:

indexed.gif Layout

Update number 3 and the biggest so far, you can keep track on my site as well by clicking here.

It has been nearly a month since I brought you the last update from my City Project. Since then a lot has changed and the project has progressed really well. In my last post, I brought you images of the Marina set with the extended dockside at the back and the baseplate layout.

Since then the beach section has been re-designed and built. In the original LDD Design the beach had less detail, a different surf shack and the changing rooms were also different. Here is the completed beach section, here you can see the entrance to the beach, along with the female and male changing rooms, the new surf shack, here you can hire surfboards, go wind surfing and more and you can see the beach towels, sand castles and sun shades:

7326213092_f9d44f3523.jpg

Here is a view of the outside shower and a closer view of the changing rooms, notice the grill for the water to drain away has gone rusty:

7326215954_66f93d7087.jpg

The Surf shack has had a redesign since the LDD and has now got loads of extras, such as the surfboards on the side of the shack, inside has a till and life jackets and a few more tools, on the outside you have the boards etc for windsurfing and also a fuel tank to refuel the jet skis that can be hired from the hut as well (these will be added with all the other vehicles) :

7326215618_d7c3460f3a.jpg

The Marina set itself has been update, on the bottom the front has been filled in with double doors, also the whole building has been moved forward 2 studs so the back extension is of equal size. In the shop downstairs, the till area has been doubled with a clear d head with helmet on, you can also buy wet suits in the shop, the rack the housed the life jackets has been moved and is now inside the building, this is due to to me moving the building, had I left it in the original place it would have blocked access. Here is the front image of the bottom of the building:

7326215274_569349bfd0.jpg

This is the back of the building:

7326214750_51a22b7cd4.jpg

Here is the downstairs shop from above:

7326214570_a245bb5d58.jpg

You can now access the cafe via the stairs, inside you can now have cold drinks and pay for you drinks, plus there is seating inside, outside the seating area has doubled in size as well. The roof had to be tweaked so both green slopes fitted, as there was a gap in the roof I added the 2×8 bricks and 2×2 white tiles, here is the stairs:

7326215048_379a7d8cde.jpg

The outside area:

7326214892_25415ae2b8.jpg

Inside the cafe:

7326216606_91c42abc71.jpg

Here is an overview of progress so far, you can see the foundations for the coastguard building on the left and construction of the boat launch ramp in the middle.

7326216416_a57baaaccc.jpg

Since My last update, the coastguard HQ building has been designed and has over 3,500 elements to it but I won’t reveal it till it is built. Also the original stages I listed in Update 1 back in April has changed, below is a plan of action, along with the dates completed:

Stage 1: Build the LEGO City Marina (set 4644) – Completed 28/3/12.

Stage 2: Concept design on LDD - Completed 8/4/12.

Stage 3: Construct the Baseplate layout – Completed 6/5/12.

Stage 4: Build the extended dockside of the marina – Completed 6/5/12.

Stage 5: Add the beach, surf shack, changing rooms – Completed 3/6/12.

Stage 6: Add the extension to the shop and cafe and add the stairs – Completed 3/6/12.

Stage 7: Add the boat launch ramp and security gates.

Stage 8: Add the security building and trees.

Stage 9: Add the foundations to the coastguard HQ.

Stage 10: Construct first floor section A of the coastguard HQ.

Stage 11: Construct first floor section B of the coastguard HQ.

Stage 12: Construct second floor section A of the coastguard HQ.

Stage 13: Construct second floor section B of the coastguard HQ.

Stage 14: Add the roof to the coastguard HQ.

After that is all done, I still have to decide a plan of action for the minifigures, vehicles and pavement area. In my next update I aim to have stage 7 and and 8 completed and more progress made on stage 9. I should also be in a better position my my places for the finishing touches. For more images of the progress so far click here.

COOL seaside scene 'Bricksan', I just :wub: the his and hers change booths ! :grin:

Great modular redesigns too ! :grin:

Beach towels, etc., just add to the total effect ! :grin:

I look forward to more of your updates......Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :classic:

Cheers you 3, it might be a while till next update, due to lack of funds. As besides the actual marina set, every other part is bought via Bricklink brand new, so it ain't cheap

And so it begins... :laugh:

Looking great so far. Love the little beach bits. The pier is looking good and the additions to the marina is nice.

Doesn't the water flow over the road?

No *huh*

If you look at the LDD images you will see how the whole thing will come together I had thought about raising the road but in the UK you have plenty of seaside towns where the water is roughly the same height as the road with the dock, pier and walls protecting it, mine will be the same. ;)

indexed.gif Layout

Hey sorry it's been close to two months but progress on my City Project is coming along well, the CoastguardHQ is 50% complete and is what is keeping me quiet and you will see the results of that building once it is completed. However since my last update in June, i have done a lot of work and added a fair bit:

Here is an overview of progress so far:

7675417540_6ec9a29198.jpg

You will see the following additions to the layout out, the beach minifigure set, paving on the streets are done, the marina entrance complete with ramp, barriers and security hut added. Also the first wave of minifigs has been added as well as Jetski's, the BBQ street vendor and more.

Here is another view, you can see the transparent blue 1x1 plates that have been added so far, over 700 of the little things are on there but still a fair few to go:

7675417366_9e9ebf0147.jpg

A close up of the hire hut and jet skies, one is the polybag, the red one if from the Police boat and the black one is a modified batman jetski:

7675417072_633a48aee0.jpg

You can see the shore line and my first few minifigures on the beach:

7675416944_97acd41d65.jpg

Here is a better view of the beach, you will notice the entrance and changing rooms have moved, this was to incorporate the bbq stand better, also added was the phone booth from another City set, plus the paving is done as well:

7675416470_0c86ebe399.jpg

I have added more minifigures to the cafe:

7675416112_9f41b4c470.jpg

The security hut that is based on the new one from the City garage and the old one from the harbour set, complete with security windows:

7675415786_7dfaedd420.jpg

More in depth details can be found on my site, questions and feedback welcome: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-city-project-update-4/

Excellent coastal/seaside scene still 'Bricksan', neat fusion of ideas for the security hut....keep the improvements coming and Brick On ! :classic:

Excellent coastal/seaside scene still 'Bricksan', neat fusion of ideas for the security hut....keep the improvements coming and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks, the biggest and best part of this section of my layout should be done soon and the building is 3000+ pieces so well worth the wait.

Many nice details. I especially like the water. Looking forward to see it finished :classic:

Thankyou, I have changed the water since I took the last round of photos and I hopefully will have the Coast Guard building done by the end of the month so I will have another round of images to share.

Thanks.

The plan is to have an entire city scene from the sea into the mountains/forest. Since I too those photos, the sea has been redone as i mentioned but also expanded. I am currently building the second floor of the coastguardHQ.

This weekend I have redecorate my office and tomorrow I am off to pick up some new wood to build the new area the City scene will be on as right now it's in parts in various rooms while the paint dries.

Right been a while since my last update but that was due to me building the CoastguardHQ, here is a run down on what has happened since:

The original plan is complete, the beach complete with beach towels, sandcastles, outdoor shower and changing rooms is complete. I even add the beach party set. The extended marina is done complete with updated Paradise cafe building, surf shack and steps to the street.

Next to the cafe is the launch area for boats, they come past the security building and onto the ramp to launch their boats and this is then next to the bran new coastguard HQ, in the photos you can see the side view of the building and how it all comes together. As you move out to sea you will see a small rock formation and old lighthouse, inside the lighthouse I have add a door, flooring and a bed, however the lighthouse is no longer in use as the new CoastguardHQ has a lighthouse built into the roof. I still need to finish the sea detail on two blue baseplates.

Moving to the beach I have add the minifigs complete with sun bathers, a family with minifig baby and also people hiring surfboards from the surf shack. you can also sea jetskies in the marina and someone taking a speedboat out. The Police officer is buying a snack from the street vendor opposite the security building. Outside the coastguardHQ is a fuel pump for the boats to use. Only the marina side of the street is complete, opposite the road you can see the paving taking shape, street lights are up as are the traffic light crossroads. The paving outside the Emporium has been extended.

The next plan is to finish the trees going down the middle of the high street and also add Cafe Corner to the section opposite the Emporium. While it will be Cafe Corner, it will have full interior and also a few more major modifications. After that is complete the building next to it will start to go into the design phase, what that will be is secret for now.

Feel free to ask questions about anything I have done so far or have planned for the future, so far not including the CMF sets over 15 different LEGO sets have been used in the building of the City and more will be added all the time, I have also used stickers from various others as well, using Bricklink to get them as I feel official stickers finish certain parts off, my next update will be once Cafe Corner is built.

8118963744_23d090228e.jpg

8118963646_25586d8632_m.jpg 8118951185_325177a5f6_m.jpg

8118963298_db130239b0_m.jpg 8118963178_7f95d4dd63_m.jpg

8118963078_93bd641cd1_m.jpg 8118950597_382dc4475f_m.jpg

8118950469_5d55cd2fa7_m.jpg 8118950349_7cd57f8e8d_m.jpg

8118950233_394cf0e0b3_m.jpg 8118962442_87e9d69e01_m.jpg

8118962324_1638df4248_m.jpg 8118949897_0921d52700_m.jpg

8118949793_bf16868e1f_m.jpg 8118949647_1a43ed9236_m.jpg

8118961900_66f24bb37b_m.jpg 8118949409_558461ef70_m.jpg

8118949315_e406b1c90a_m.jpg 8118961620_385d927493_m.jpg

As always feedback, ideas are welcomed

Oh my god!! I am floored by this! It's downright incredible. I don't even know where to start. The coastguard HQ looks stunning, is there an interior? The way you extended the marina is great I love the double doors and the added door in the back. Creating a set of stairs to make the cafe actually accessible (to minifigs at least) is a great idea and very well done. I love the towels, shower, and sand castles on the beach. Extending the marina to the pavement looks phenomenal!! The addition of a rental space for jet skis and whatnot is very creative. Honestly I thought you were crazy and wasting time and bricks (and money) doing the 1x1 rounds on the water, but the effect seems well worth the effort! I think that small (large?) detail is my favorite part. Absolutely stunning, I can't wait to see what else is to come. WOW! Just wow.

That coast guard structure fit so well in your layout......but you need a surf store and perhaps a boating/fishing store too......Oh, now that gives me ideas ! :rofl:

Keep going and Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :sweet:

I love your city. There is so much detail. The HQ is great and fits in perfectly with the beach area. The cafe is my favorite. Can't wait uintil the next update.

I love your city. There is so much detail. The HQ is great and fits in perfectly with the beach area. The cafe is my favorite. Can't wait uintil the next update.

Thanks, I try and make everything come together :-)

That coast guard structure fit so well in your layout......but you need a surf store and perhaps a boating/fishing store too......Oh, now that gives me ideas ! :rofl:

Keep going and Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :sweet:

Glad I got your creative juices flowing, I would like to add more but it would mean expanding outwards and there is no room, I can add depth to the layout but not width at the moment but if I can those will be on the list to build.

Oh my god!! I am floored by this! It's downright incredible. I don't even know where to start. The coastguard HQ looks stunning, is there an interior? The way you extended the marina is great I love the double doors and the added door in the back. Creating a set of stairs to make the cafe actually accessible (to minifigs at least) is a great idea and very well done. I love the towels, shower, and sand castles on the beach. Extending the marina to the pavement looks phenomenal!! The addition of a rental space for jet skis and whatnot is very creative. Honestly I thought you were crazy and wasting time and bricks (and money) doing the 1x1 rounds on the water, but the effect seems well worth the effort! I think that small (large?) detail is my favorite part. Absolutely stunning, I can't wait to see what else is to come. WOW! Just wow.

Thanks you can see the inside of the CoastguardHQ here --> http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75209

As for the 1x1 plain baseplates looked boring so wanted to go a bit OTT with the detail, I think the little things bring everything together :-)

I love this layout. When I saw the coastguard HQ by itself, I thought that it was a little too orange. But it looks just perfect now.

I think I need to go and get myself the marina set and some blue baseplates. Thanks for the inspiration.