Bricksan

Lego City Project - Update Oct 2012

indexed.gif Layout

Latest Updated 24/10/2012:

Image of the progress so far:

8118963744_23d090228e.jpg

Full report in latest post here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66901&st=25#entry1416038

Original Post:

Not going to bore you too much with a detailed post (unless you really want it). I have a building space in my office and I am going to be building a large City scene, using City sets and then using the same techniques used in the sets to build extra elements to make a full scene. I am using LDD to plan the build and I am doing it stages, after building a stage on LDD I will then purchase parts I need, photograph it and move on to the next stage.

Stage One - Is the Lego City Marina, I have built the Marina on LDD (This is first time I have used LDD was building the Marina). Stage one has an area of 4 32x32 base plates wide and 2 back and will have 9 official sets built in it or on it. For further detailed info visit: http://brickfanatics...o-city-project/

Here are is the LDD Concept image:

7024960587_aa4d0bd0f4.jpg

Update 1 includes more LDD images: http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1241062

Update 2 Building progress of the Marina plus the extension of the dockside: http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1250434

Update 3 Major update, beach, surf shack and much more completed as well as new to do list: http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1301988

Update 4 Marina entrance complete with pavements done and loads of minor features added:

http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1351763

Edited by Bricksan

Looks good.

How about some sandy beaches on either side of your marina? They would suit some collectible Baywatch babes and surfdudes just fine :wink:

Edited by MadManMingo

Looks good.

How about some sandy beaches on either side of your marina? They would suit some collectible Baywatch babes and surfdudes just fine :wink:

That is planned where the lifeguard tower is that will be the beach, the side of the cafe will be more dockside for larger boats that will combine with the two large harbour sets.

indexed.gif Layout

Update time, I have added new photos to the first post and stage one is now complete in LDD. For now I have used plain minifigs as not decided on which to use where but I taken ideas from various sets to build a small beach with changing rooms, a surf shack, extended the Marina cafe building, added area for loading and offloading of boats and the stand out part is the Coast Guard HQ complete with drive through garages.

6878860352_1059c89f08.jpg

6878860482_e1e2fb16f3.jpg

6878860582_49d75401ff.jpg

6878860764_32a696a3a0.jpg

6878861232_f2e2d9c8aa.jpg

7024962347_189ee93bd2.jpg

7024962513_042c824d66.jpg

7024962751_f457728979.jpg

If you would like close up images of certain areas let me know. I am now going to split stage one into smaller sections and start building it.

Wow, that's a huge project. It's really impressive though! I like the Marina cafe building. Do you have a price estimate/budget for this project? If you can afford it, I'd advise not budgeting and spending as much as is required to make this PERFECT, because so far it looks amazing.

There is no budget. All the pieces required will be bought brand new. It might cost more but it will look better. :) I have now spilt this stage into 7 sections and will post images later.

Edited by RJH

Since there is no LXF-file shared, I'm moving this over to the Town-section.

I originally posted this in this section, then a moderator moved it to the LDD section, only for you to move it back again :)

Edited by RJH

Wow! This is incredible and really inspiring. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is this still only 64 studs deep? Or is it more than that? My kids got the marina, harbor, and boats for Christmas, and I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate them into the limited space that we have. Interestingly enough, since I picked up a second Marina on sale, and since we have an extra police station (came in a Craiglist lot) and an extra fire station like the one your coast guard station is based off of, I think I have most of the pieces to build something like this myself. I'd change a few things, like making the Coast Guard building more open somehow for play, incorporating the Coast Guard Tower that we have, raising the pedestrian bridge higher...

As I said, truly inspiring. I'm going to have to think on how to make buildings like this but also keep them playable. Maybe hinged walls or something.

Wow! This is incredible and really inspiring. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is this still only 64 studs deep? Or is it more than that? My kids got the marina, harbor, and boats for Christmas, and I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate them into the limited space that we have. Interestingly enough, since I picked up a second Marina on sale, and since we have an extra police station (came in a Craiglist lot) and an extra fire station like the one your coast guard station is based off of, I think I have most of the pieces to build something like this myself. I'd change a few things, like making the Coast Guard building more open somehow for play, incorporating the Coast Guard Tower that we have, raising the pedestrian bridge higher...

As I said, truly inspiring. I'm going to have to think on how to make buildings like this but also keep them playable. Maybe hinged walls or something.

Thanks and yes it is only 64 studs deep, this is the first part of a much larger build, nice idea about hinged walls, I thought about it but mine is display only so went for solid structure. I had thought about closing the front of the shop but wanted to keep the actual sets as they are out of the box if possible. I only made two changes to the Marina, I move the holder with harpoon to the back to fit another window in. Moved a chair upstairs so could add a door.

Wow, looking good. I like the placement of the Marina set. I think your decision to use all new bricks is a smart move. The Marina is a great set with great figs. The wetsuit(black/grey/red) torso is one of my top figs. I look forward to seeing this in the flesh. Are you going to end with this, or add houses, businesses and such?

I'm going to be building a whole city eventually, the plan is to use as many City sets as possible.

I'm going to be building a whole city eventually, the plan is to use as many City sets as possible.

Ooh! I love seeing different layouts. You have plenty of ideas and inspiration here. Great cities.

Please keep going 'RJH', it's interesting to see your layout so far.....is it a seaside port or something similar ? :classic:

Please keep going 'RJH', it's interesting to see your layout so far.....is it a seaside port or something similar ? :classic:

It's a marina and cost guard HQ with launch ramps

It's a marina and cost guard HQ with launch ramps

Can I made a suggestion, a chandler (someone who sells marine parts, etc.,.) and boat repair shed too.

You can but this stage already has a surf and jet ski hire shop and the marine shop under the cafe. I don't want to make the area over crowded.

Morning folks, happy easter to all. Right my first update.have tweaked the design in LDD. Firstly I add the road section and have added paving based on the Modular designs to one side of the rode, stage two will continue from the other side. Also I have add the steps to the marina and a display shark, I altered the fire hydrant to match those already made by Lego in other sets.

The street also has traffic lights on it and on the correct side for UK drivers. I have altered the roadside part of the coastguard building as instead of having it start on plates I have lowered it to fit on the base plates instead. Also I removed the tree and added theBBQ Stand set in it’s place. Also on the stage will be set 8402 Sports car, the phone box is outside the coastguard HQ. I also removed the pink /blue layer of plates from the beach side changing rooms, the original plan was to have something backing up to it, however now it is street side.

Parts for Section 1 and 3 have been ordered in my next update will photograph sections 1,2 and 3 as well as the display area.

I have now split the stage into 9 sections as follows:

Section 1 – Baseplate layout.

Section 2 - Marina – set 4644.

Section 3- Extended dockside.

Section 4- Beach with surf shack and changing rooms.

Section 5 -Is the shop and cafe extension to add to set 4644.

Section 6 – Is the marina gatehouse and launch ramp as well as the base to the Coastguard HQ.

Section 7 – The roadside part of the Coastguard HQ.

Section 8 – The Coastguard HQ building.

Section 9 – Is the pavement and streetlights.

Here are the images for rest visit either my site or my flickr account

Overall View

7056264705_16706a95ce.jpg

Section 1

6910215326_1ee76c2deb.jpg

Section 2

6910177692_3831d6770d.jpg

Section 3

6910177946_0e9e154deb.jpg

Section 4

6910178120_2beb99e6e6.jpg

Section 5

6910178424_9e84389152.jpg

Section 6

6910178722_22f3c64f76.jpg

Section 7

6910179122_9276114738.jpg

Section 8

7056266649_849d3a9b16.jpg

Section 9

7056266885_53a4a02dcc.jpg

Thanks lightningtiger I am looking forward to building it as well. Just ordered some more parts from Bricklink, although I did find the baseplates cheaper on Amazon. It is costing more as all parts will be new. I have already started thinking about stage two :)

This new update is getting me excited to see this, it's looking great! I may have to steal section 3 for my marina. :devil:

This new update is getting me excited to see this, it's looking great! I may have to steal section 3 for my marina. :devil:

Thanks if you want the file to section 3 let me know as I am happy to share :)

This is just awesome, ! :shrug_oh_well::thumbup:

Thanks I have just started ordering parts for sections 1 and 3 so expect and bigger update within next week