Sign in to follow this  
5150 Lego

B-Double Ferrari Transport truck

Hello EB community.

Its been a while since i have posted a moc or anything really, so i present my B-Double Ferrari transport truck. If it looks familiar, thats because its not a 100% moc, but based off off Lego's 8654 Scuderia transport truck. This particular set is one of my favorites and that being said, i felt it still could be improved to suit my needs. So after keeping it stock for for a few years, i decided it was time for an upgrade.

IN upgrading i had a few goals i wanted to accomplish.

1.- Be able to hold twice the amount of tools and equipment

2.- have living quarters for the drivers and crew

3.- be able to hold 2 F1 cars

I quickly determined that i would need two trailers to accomplish all these goals. One trailer would hold the cars and equipment, and the other would be the living quarters for the crew. In the end, this is what i came up with..

2011-03-23_20.37.55.jpg

The truck and trailer combination is known as a "B-Double" set up. It is compromised of two trailers where the first trailer has a built in 5th wheel hitch for towing a second trailer. This eliminates the need for a "dolly" to connect a second trailer. This gives better trailer control, but reduces the length of the first trailer. In this pic you can see the 5th wheel hitch..

This set up is commonly seen in north America and very popular in Australia. It is also the preferred set up for many Australian race teams. I've always liked the looks of this type of truck and trailer combination over a standard "double" trailer setup. To me it visually flows alot better. Anyhow, on to the truck.

The first trailer is the crew quarters. A little place to get away between qualifying rounds. As you walk in there is a room for the crew to make a quick phone call, or just get away from the noise. Open the glass door to gain access to the main room. It has a sleeping area with dual bunks for Filipe and Alonso, computer desk, water cooler, big screen TV, and full galley with fridge, oven, sink and stove. There's also a small garage in the rear to hold equipment, or give the crew a place to work out of the elements. There's even a sliding glass door to access the living compartments. Some pics for reference..

Main living quarters..

First room as you enter the trailer..You can also see the sliding glass door to the garage..

Rear shot of the garage with some equipment inside..

I also wanted to build a new truck as the flat nosed Iveco the set came with looks way to small with the new load. Its based off a long nosed Iveco tractor. A third axle was also needed to complete the look, as well as to change things up for the original tractor.

So this rig has a special feature. In order to fit everything in the living quarters i needed to incorporate a system to "expand" the interior. I did this by incorporating a "slide out" section. This allows the interior space to be increased by 6 studs. Thats more than half the overall width of the trailer. Some shots of the slide out section...

Here's a shot with the loading platform all set up (it gets stored in the rear garage for transport)

You can also see the main entrance on the slide out, as well as the outside entrance to the rear garage.

Finally we have the rear trailer which holds the cars and equipment. I apologies, i only have shots of "pit" setup with all the tools and F1 cars, but I'll give you a quick run down. The forward compartment houses the tools and equipment, while the two cars sit stacked on top of each other in the rear. It has a ramp system which allows the cars to load up. All the equipment and tools shown fit in the rear trailer.

Thanks for looking. I'll try and get better quality pics up soon, as well as more detailed pics of the rear trailer as well as some more shots of first trailer.

Edit: Please excuse the shoes and stuff in the back ground of a couple of the pics. :sceptic: didn't pay attention to them being there till after i posted them up.

Edit:, i give up. some pics re-sized and other didn't. So i'm just going to link over my brickshelf folder. My apoligies and thanks for looking.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=498077

post-586-133049443569.jpg

Edited by 5150 Lego

I saw this on Brickshelf the other night, it's really neat. I love the fold out feature and all the cargo space. I always liked the Ferrari sets, but they are a bit too big for my city. Very nice mod though default_classic.gif

Nice rig! Hope to see the other pic's later.

Mabye you could be the first to build the (all new!) F12 Berlinetta :wub: , and carry that!

Brick on,

Dakar

I really love the upgrades. Nice. :thumbup: I'm a big fan of the Lego Ferrari sets. I have that particular truck you mention and the one that came out more recently. I have started to prefer the newer smaller truck simply because it's easier to display and I like the white accents. Hopefully, if Ferrari ever wins again, they will do more Ferrari licensed minifigure scale sets.

I really love the upgrades. Nice. :thumbup: I'm a big fan of the Lego Ferrari sets. I have that particular truck you mention and the one that came out more recently. I have started to prefer the newer smaller truck simply because it's easier to display and I like the white accents. Hopefully, if Ferrari ever wins again, they will do more Ferrari licensed minifigure scale sets.

Thank you Sharky. I agree that the colors of the new truck with the white striping is much better looking. I've ben wanting to change up the coloring on my truck to match for some time, just need to find the sticker sheet for a decent price on brick shelf. Thanks again!

Fantastic! My favourite part is definitely the pop out section :thumbup: Great job.