dandexter

Large Project Opinion Wanted

I would like some opinions on areas to improve on my latest project I have made in CAD. I want it to be perfect before I build it in real life.

It is a massive version of the Lego 5571 Black Cat truck.

Don't worry to much about the trailer right now, as it is stage 2 and not going to be built any time soon - unless I win the lotto.

Specifications:

Length: 108cm (just truck) - 217cm (with trailer)

Width: 35cm

Height: 42cm (at tallest point) - 30cm (rough average height)

Pieces: 12,551 - about 7,800 for just the truck

You can fine more pictures on my brickshelf page...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=497926

Thank you

Edited by Calabar
Oversized image converted in text link (maximum size allowed is 800x600).

Wow, that would be MAMMOTH *oh2* to make using real bricks! Could you post your LDD .lxf file on Brickshelf and deeplink it so that we may examine the model more closely?

It appears that the Unimog tires you are using are a bit small for this beast, but that's the best you could do without using a non-Lego tire. Also, the trailer hitch bar used between the truck and trailer seems to be "fixed" and cannot easily rotate.

Did you run your LDD .lxf file through LDD Manager, to see if the colors used in the models actually EXIST in real bricks? All appear to be OK, but you may get surprised when you check the colors....

Edited by DLuders

Thank you for the feed back. I agree the wheel may be a little on the small side, but as you said they are the biggest I can get. I will investigate it more, I'll get some pictures of real similar trucks and workout a ratio and see how that compares to my model. If it is out enough i'll do a re-design. I hadn't heard of LDD manager until now, so i'm looking into it, however I only used red, black, new grey, new dark grey and blue bricks + lights. The trailer connect would pivot, how well is a bit hard to tell on LDD. As when the model starts getting big the rotate tools doesn't really work. I could easy change it as I build it though.

Thank you

Thanks

I just ran it through LDD Manager, thank you so much for pointing me towards that program. It auto generates a parts list, that just saved me so many hours work and made my day. As for checking the parts can be brought in real life, there were a few small problems with colours, however nothing I can't/haven't fixed.

Be aware that LDD is not very good at showing if the model can be built. Like if bricks are connected for example". Use the "connected bricks" tool to make a rough check that all bricks in your model are connected. Otherwise upload the LXF as DLuders suggests, and someone here might help point out problems.

About the model, I belive the front wheels should be much more forward placed. Also, the nose/hood seems a bit too wide in comparison to the rest of the model.

I also agree with DLuders that the wheels are too small. I would probably at least reduce the total width of the truck. Should be fairly easy to do - just select a band across the middle, delete, and join together.

Good luck with your project. And please post the final result here in the forum. It would also be nice if you could take some notes of your progress when doing this kind of large scale project - could be interesting for others to learn from.

PS: Another tip: When you do screenshots, use the Ctrl-K method. Then you don't get the LDD program in background but a more "clean looking" screenshot. Just my 2 cents.

Be aware that LDD is not very good at showing if the model can be built. Like if bricks are connected for example". Use the "connected bricks" tool to make a rough check that all bricks in your model are connected. Otherwise upload the LXF as DLuders suggests, and someone here might help point out problems.

About the model, I belive the front wheels should be much more forward placed. Also, the nose/hood seems a bit too wide in comparison to the rest of the model.

I also agree with DLuders that the wheels are too small. I would probably at least reduce the total width of the truck. Should be fairly easy to do - just select a band across the middle, delete, and join together.

Good luck with your project. And please post the final result here in the forum. It would also be nice if you could take some notes of your progress when doing this kind of large scale project - could be interesting for others to learn from.

PS: Another tip: When you do screenshots, use the Ctrl-K method. Then you don't get the LDD program in background but a more "clean looking" screenshot. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the tip about connected bricks tool, just checked and its all good. The only things that came up are some parts of the steering system I couldn't fully connect in LDD but would in real life.

Good idea about moving the front wheels forwards, I'll do that. As for the width, there is no way I could make it less without rebuilding about 75% of it. I do see what you mean about the hood being a bit wide/fat looking, I'll make it a bit thinner.

The wheels do look a little on the small side, I think some of it is just illusion as I did a quick ratio measurement with my 5571 Black Cat + plus looking at trucks on google images. However its getting late here, so i'll worry about it later tomorrow.

Once I start building it will post up a blog/build log on here. I have plenty of progress photos in CAD, this is currently version 3.

I'v been continuing to work on my MOC trucks since my last update. Made a fair bit of progress.

I'v finished revision 4 of the massive tipper truck. I'v run it through LDD manager and fixed any problems there, so it's all ready to go. Just need to get the money for it now.

I spent a lot of time putting motors in it trying to get it to drive. Last night I did a real world test to see how much weight 1 XL PF motor could move, didn't even move 2KG. I could fit 5 XL PF motors in the truck, which is no where near a enough from my testing. So I had to give up on that plan.

Specifications:

Length: 108cm (just truck) - 217cm (with trailer)

Width: 35cm

Height: 42cm (at tallest point) - 30cm (rough average height)

Pieces: 12,798 - about 7,800 for just the truck

lddscreenshot6.png

I'v also made another difference truck, still needs work though.

96288203.png

Edited by dandexter

This is superb work, dandexter. Really good! :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind words.

It will be better once I can afford to build them in real life.

I was hoping that the LDD program would generate a good building guide. However after looking through the one it gave me for my 5571 tipper modification, it's harder to follow then looking at a finished picture. I'll make my own guide for myself and check it off the LDD drawing as I build.

A couple of small things

Like I mentioned earlier - please do make the habit of taking screenshots using Ctrl-K. It makes them look much nicer without the forest background. :classic: Also, you need to re-size your pictures. The maximum allowed size on this board is 800 pixels width.

Also, if you are continouing to make more trucks, I would kindly like to ask you to post them in the Town section here at Euorbricks. The LDD forum is foremost aimed at LDD related issues, but since you mentioned you were going through the whole process of also buying bricks, I thought it would be an interesting case.

A couple of small things

Like I mentioned earlier - please do make the habit of taking screenshots using Ctrl-K. It makes them look much nicer without the forest background. :classic: Also, you need to re-size your pictures. The maximum allowed size on this board is 800 pixels width.

Also, if you are continouing to make more trucks, I would kindly like to ask you to post them in the Town section here at Euorbricks. The LDD forum is foremost aimed at LDD related issues, but since you mentioned you were going through the whole process of also buying bricks, I thought it would be an interesting case.

Yep no problem mate, I'll go re-size my pictures now. I did use crtl K on the first picture, it keeps the background just gets rid of the tool bar etc?

I'll start a new thread there once I have some more updates to post, I thought this was the right section since I only had it on LDD. Thanks for letting me know.

I did use crtl K on the first picture, it keeps the background just gets rid of the tool bar etc?

To avoid the background is showed, you have to take the screenshot in built mode, not in View Mode.

Use this fittool.png on screen button to fit the model to the viewport.

To avoid the background is showed, you have to take the screenshot in built mode, not in View Mode.

Use this fittool.png on screen button to fit the model to the viewport.

Thank you, i'll do that from now on with all new pictures.

I would suggest that this huge truck would be more suited on the Eurobricks "Technic, Mindstorms, and Model Team" Forum (rather than the "Town" Forum), because it is made like a Model Team set. There are other large, beautiful, realistic-looking trucks posted by 2LegoOrNotToLego, BricksOnWheels, and other talented builders. :classic:

I would suggest that this huge truck would be more suited on the Eurobricks "Technic, Mindstorms, and Model Team" Forum (rather than the "Town" Forum), because it is made like a Model Team set. There are other large, beautiful, realistic-looking trucks posted by 2LegoOrNotToLego, BricksOnWheels, and other talented builders. :classic:

Good idea :thumbup: