SeanM

Grand Emporium MOD 16 Stud

Has anyone ever attempted a 16 stud Grand Emporium? I've searched but could only find stretched 32 wide. I'm limited on shelf space but would like for the GE to sit next to the Pet Shop.

I began to disassemble and am looking for inspiration. Wish me luck! Mini Emporium Ground Breaking, Feb. 2012

I just want to say thanks for all the kind comments. :blush: It turns out I did a lot of the same things as AwesomeTaylor's 16 wide GE build. Here's a picture of my final build:

imag0842.jpg

and it fits perfectly on the bookshelf. :grin:

the_16_wide_emporium_final.jpg

Full WIP Pictures on my Brickshelf.

Edited by SeanM

Thanks for the link Scott, that was exactly what I was looking for!

:laugh: I guess I'll just call it "The Emporium." There's nothing grand about it, at least not yet. :wink:

UPDATE: The first floor is done, 2 more to go. Work in progress here I want to keep the design as close as possible to the original. Hopefully I can keep visual elements without being too cluttered. I'm already running into limitations... Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to include the yellow SHOP sign yet.

:laugh: I guess I'll just call it "The Emporium." There's nothing grand about it, at least not yet. :wink: .

Unless you go very tall to make up for the lack of width.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Have a look a this thread titled "Official Modulars adapted to 16 wide". There is a great GE done there.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59136&hl=16 wide&st=0

Hey! This is mine, I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you have any, or take more pictures. I'm excited to see how yours turns out! I've noticed you are keeping it as a corner building it seems, which really makes it an interesting deviation from my own!

Edited by AwesomeTaylor

Hey! This is mine, I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you have any, or take more pictures. I'm excited to see how yours turns out! I've noticed you are keeping it as a corner building it seems, which really makes it an interesting deviation from my own!

The more I look at these 16 wide modulars, the more I like them. I may have to do some of these after I finish my current project, and after I sort so I can do my current project.

Now the only decision...

Do I disassemble my modulars and rebuild or just build anew? Tough decision!

AwesonmeTaylor -- Do you have plans to do a 16 wide Cafe Corner?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Taylor, your buildings have excellent design! The clothing rack is a great touch and I especially like the market village pub pool table. I might have to "borrow" those design concepts. :blush:

I decided to keep the corner because I quickly ran out of light grey bricks. I also kept the back door with archway. The biggest challenge (so far) is trying to use pieces only from the GE set. So far I've used some bricks from the winter toy shop. -My 3rd floor toy room also used lego sets from the Semi truck set. Great minds think alike!

Hi AwesomeTaylor. The minute I saw SeanM's request if anyone had done a 16 wide GE, I imeadeatly remembered your 16 wide creations. Hope you didn't mind me pointing him towards your posting and pics.

I personally will be copying/creating your 16 wide Fire Brigade which is great.

Interesting so far 'SeanM', what are you going to do about front doors ?

Plus this will have to be a tall structure, though is it going to be a department store or speciality store (i.e. fashion) ?

Also is it based on anything in the real world, sometimes using real life structures as inspiration helps in your final plans for a creation ?

Keep going and Brick On 'SeanM' ! :classic:

Interesting so far 'SeanM', what are you going to do about front doors ?

Plus this will have to be a tall structure, though is it going to be a department store or speciality store (i.e. fashion) ?

Also is it based on anything in the real world, sometimes using real life structures as inspiration helps in your final plans for a creation ?

Keep going and Brick On 'SeanM' ! :classic:

I didn't mention this but another limitation is height. I want the building to fit on my bookshelf, so I'm going for the same height and style as the original. I'd like to add a 4th story but I doubt I'll have enough pieces.

The Front Door is going to be glass. -I moved the back door to the front and added glass windows behind the pillars. (I'll try and get better/brighter pictures this weekend.)

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm nervous about the next update!

Edited by SeanM

Thanks for the link Scott, that was exactly what I was looking for!

:laugh: I guess I'll just call it "The Emporium." There's nothing grand about it, at least not yet. :wink:

UPDATE: The first floor is done, 2 more to go. Work in progress here I want to keep the design as close as possible to the original. Hopefully I can keep visual elements without being too cluttered. I'm already running into limitations... Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to include the yellow SHOP sign yet.

I think you should keep the SHOP sign. To me, it's a big part of the facade, the bright yellow backed by...dull(for lack of a better term) colors(tan/gray). It's an identifying factor for the building, as well.

I like the idea of a 16-wide GE. I have seen your bookshelf and understand why there are limitations. I am interested how this is developing. Keep updating us please.

By the way. I loved the pooltable too. the whole building looks very well done in that matter. Maybe i will change my own medevil market village into an building like that. Wouldn't look all that bad in Bricksterdam.

The more I look at these 16 wide modulars, the more I like them. I may have to do some of these after I finish my current project, and after I sort so I can do my current project.

Now the only decision...

Do I disassemble my modulars and rebuild or just build anew? Tough decision!

AwesonmeTaylor -- Do you have plans to do a 16 wide Cafe Corner?

Andy D

Thank you! I do have plans actually, but as I don't own the origional it's not a big priority for me at the moment. I am sure I will make one sooner or later though :)

I'm getting the Town Hall in the summer and looking forward to the challenge of adapting that!

Taylor, your buildings have excellent design! The clothing rack is a great touch and I especially like the market village pub pool table. I might have to "borrow" those design concepts. :blush:

I decided to keep the corner because I quickly ran out of light grey bricks. I also kept the back door with archway. The biggest challenge (so far) is trying to use pieces only from the GE set. So far I've used some bricks from the winter toy shop. -My 3rd floor toy room also used lego sets from the Semi truck set. Great minds think alike!

Thank you very much! Borrow away, no matter what you do our buildings will be simmilar due to their origins anyway, and taking some of my ideas just compliments me :D

Hi AwesomeTaylor. The minute I saw SeanM's request if anyone had done a 16 wide GE, I imeadeatly remembered your 16 wide creations. Hope you didn't mind me pointing him towards your posting and pics.

I personally will be copying/creating your 16 wide Fire Brigade which is great.

Of course not - it's an incredible compliment for someone to remember my buildings from last summer!

I re-sized the images on brickshelf. Here's the latest progress. I didn't have a lot of time to build last night but you can see the direction I'm headed in.

The flags will be centered a bit and I'll add more floor space before moving on.

imag0812.jpg

imag0816.jpg

imag0818.jpg

That white and blue tilework at the front door is very good. It looks quiet unique and I think it's clever not to stick as close as possible to the original pattern, but to make an entirely new one.

Good job!

I must agree, it looks really great so far! I actually like the front door better than the door in the 32-wide GE. Seeing your progress makes me want to modify my GE into a 16-wide. I'm looking forward seeing more on this! :sweet:

I finally had some time to finish the 16 wide Emporium this weekend using mostly existing Grand Emporium pieces.

Let me know what you think!

imag0836.jpg

imag0827.jpg

imag0828.jpg

imag0829.jpg

Interior First Floor

imag0846.jpg

Left Side

imag0842.jpg

imag0844.jpg

Rear

imag0840.jpg

Spare Parts :classic:

spareparts_imag0821.jpg

Finished Product

the_16_wide_emporium_final.jpg

Edited by SeanM

IMPRESSIVE is the word I choose to describe your creation 'SeanM', a structure of beauty and excellent redesigning - you got all the special interior design elements including the light fixture in it as well - huge :thumbup: for this one for sure. :grin:

Brick On 'SeanM' ! :grin:

It looks amazing! Once more GE has proved to be great for size modification, but I believe you're one of the few who went for a smaller scale. The building looks great from the front and fits perfectly with the Pet shop. The side is a bit confusing with all the windows, but I'm guessing your planning to put some public area next to it (a small park or similar). Benches in the park would be great for window shopping! :blush:

Thanks guys! :blush: I actually didn't want to use the green windows on the side but I would have ran out of tan bricks if I didn't. I figured it'll be viewed mostly from the front, but now I kind of like it and it allows more light in.

Admittedly the profile looks strange because of the roof so I plan on extending the cornice molding to wrap around all corners. :classic:

I love the front facade. I may have to "borrow" the lower level with the door way and canopies. That looks just like a downtown shop around here. The side does look a little awkward, but I think it would still look good as a corner building or having a park next to it so people can still see in, as opposed to putting another modular on that side.

Keep up the great work. Very impressive.